• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    lol broke one strap now :P

Heat the outer part of the threaded area, chill the inner part.

One way is to put the whole thing in the freezer for a few hours, then heat up the outer part with a heat gun or torch, then use the strap wrench.

Or heat the whole thing up (heat gun or oven), then cool the inner threaded part (ice or electronics chill spray).

Also, sometimes repeated heating and cooling will break things loose.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you use the right anti seize.

Suppressors get HOT.

I would use Copper or Nickel anti seize.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I gave a read through this thread earlier, and it really, really has me thinking now. This is pretty awesome stuff.

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    Have the parts soaking in boiling water atm. Went through 3 wrenches lol, whole can of carb cleaner (some of it was allowed to soak overnight). Won't budge an iota. Going to try the cooling/heating idea

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I once had my Gemtech GM9 stuck- tried to clean it more than 7 days after shooting 22LR. The thread seemed welded and was unable to expose the core. I sprayed CLP and still no effect. I searched the internet and saw somewhere that I should tap with a mallet to loosen the carbon (http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/MULTIMOUNT-2p94.htm at 1:09 of video at right Alexander mentions it on removing the baffles by gentle taps on the dowel). I was skeptical but did about 5 taps near the thread thinking that the vibration may loosen the carbon allowing the CLP to get into the thread. It was gritty but I was able to unscrew the suppressor. Since then I would apply Silicone oil (Dot 5 automatic transmission fluid) on the thread. No problem taking it apart since. I apply the ATF on the threads of all my suppressors and no longer have this problem.

Dot 5 ATF I bought online @ Amazon. I got this Dot5 trick from an MDS post about cleaning suppressors.

Another option would be to soak in

http://lifehacker.com/5962934/diy-penetrating-oil

basically acetone and Automatic transmission fluid 50-50 mix. I have not tried this yet but I've seen several discussions about stuck threads being removed using this mix.

Last edited:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    +1 on the acetone/ATF mix. It has been shown to be better than PB Blaster, though it is easier to buy a can of PB. I don't agree with the use of carb cleaner. I feel that is more to be used when you will be flushing it immediately e.g. running gasoline through a carb/FI system to remove the loosened carbon.

I think Pinecone's idea of freezing it and then heating the outside would be most effective.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Thanks for reposting Weber! This is a great thread.

Question......I made a can for my 22. If I screw it on my SR22, it goes on extremely tight. When I take it off the pistol, it is on so tight that it unscrews the threaded barrel adapter. Even if I just test it out on the barrel adapter without it being attached to the pistol, I have to use the small wrench to unscrew the adapter for the can. I just twist the can on hand tight, not even putting much pressure at all on it. Any thoughts?

I encounter that on my Glock17 conversion. Simplest solution is for me to to bring an adjustable wrench in my gun bag. If the adapter comes off when I unscrew the suppressor the wrench will allow me to remove it from the suppressor and reconnect it to the barrel.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    And here is a recommended bore chart. I have found these sizes result in the best performance for safety, suppression, and accuracy.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Check out the Griffin Tactical forum for more up to date info on the tools. We have changed the design from my original post.

We just launched the forum, and are doing a giveaway to new members if you would like to try and win.

www.griffintactical.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom