• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    The correspondence between me and the Sgt.

Date: Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    Subject: AR-15 Barrel criteria
    To: "msp.firearmsregistration@ maryland.gov" <msp.firearmsregistration@ maryland.gov>

Hello,

Could you advise me on the criteria for what makes an AR-15 barrel a heavy barrel? I have a couple of barrels I want to sell but do not want to sell them to anyone in Maryland if they would not be able to be used.

Thank you,
    M

From: Donald Pickle -State Police- <donald.pickle@maryland.gov>
    To: MSP Firearms Registration -State Police- <msp.firearmsregistration@ maryland.gov>; xxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com
    Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 11:52 AM
    Subject: Re: AR-15 Barrel criteria

M,

Maryland State Police has adopted the following criteria for determining a heavy barrel AR-15 style rifle or individual barrel:

1) The barrel is stamped as a heavy barrel or "H-bar"
    2) The barrel has documentation from the manufacturer deeming it as a heavy barrel
    3) The barrel is identified on the manufacturers website as being a heavy barrel

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sergeant Donald R. Pickle, Jr.
    Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Services Section
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208
    410-653-4500 ext. 4465
    Fax: 410-653-4036

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 1:26 PM, <xxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com> wrote:

Sergeant,

So a barrel listed as medium weight "contour" on a company website would not be Maryland compliant?

A "heavy barrel" criteria, for Maryland is not based on weight or physical dimension, but on whether or not the manufacturer brands it as "heavy"?

I hate to be a stickler, but I may be getting ready to lose an expensive bottle of scotch in a bet to a friend based on this, and be forced to sell the barrels out of state.

Thank you again,
    M

Donald Pickle -State Police- <donald.pickle@maryland.gov>
    10/19/16 at 1:38 PM

To

xxxxxxxx@yahoo.com

M,

Correct, a "medium weight contour" would not be MD compliant. Unfortunately, with no clear definition for weights or dimensions specified in statute, the previous criteria I sent you is what we have to go with.

So, yes, the MD criteria is based on what the manufacturer deems the barrel to be. Sorry about the scotch.

Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208
    410-653-4500 ext. 4465

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The correspondence between me and the Sgt.

Date: Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    Subject: AR-15 Barrel criteria
    To: "msp.firearmsregistration@ maryland.gov" <msp.firearmsregistration@ maryland.gov>

Hello,

Could you advise me on the criteria for what makes an AR-15 barrel a heavy barrel? I have a couple of barrels I want to sell but do not want to sell them to anyone in Maryland if they would not be able to be used.

Thank you,
    M

From: Donald Pickle -State Police- <donald.pickle@maryland.gov>
    To: MSP Firearms Registration -State Police- <msp.firearmsregistration@ maryland.gov>; xxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com
    Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 11:52 AM
    Subject: Re: AR-15 Barrel criteria

M,

Maryland State Police has adopted the following criteria for determining a heavy barrel AR-15 style rifle or individual barrel:

2) The barrel has documentation from the manufacturer deeming it as a heavy barrel
    3) The barrel is identified on the manufacturers website as being a heavy barrel

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208
    410-653-4500 ext. 4465

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 1:26 PM, <xxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com> wrote:

Sergeant,

So a barrel listed as medium weight "contour" on a company website would not be Maryland compliant?

A "heavy barrel" criteria, for Maryland is not based on weight or physical dimension, but on whether or not the manufacturer brands it as "heavy"?

I hate to be a stickler, but I may be getting ready to lose an expensive bottle of scotch in a bet to a friend based on this, and be forced to sell the barrels out of state.

Thank you again,
    M

Donald Pickle -State Police- <donald.pickle@maryland.gov>
    10/19/16 at 1:38 PM

To

xxxxxxxx@yahoo.com

M,

Correct, a "medium weight contour" would not be MD compliant. Unfortunately, with no clear definition for weights or dimensions specified in statute, the previous criteria I sent you is what we have to go with.

So, yes, the MD criteria is based on what the manufacturer deems the barrel to be. Sorry about the scotch.

Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208
    410-653-4500 ext. 4465

That right there is enough to clarify the actual position of MSP, as to what an HBAR is.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    That right there is enough to clarify the actual position of MSP, as to what an HBAR is.

And this.

M,

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Hypothetically lets say a person named Harry Baldwin Allen Roberts, wanted to stamp his initials on his AR15 barrel to make sure that if it were ever stolen, he could easily identify his property if found.

Would he damage his rifle barrel if he chose to stamp his initials onto it?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Hypothetically lets say a person named Harry Baldwin Allen Roberts, wanted to stamp his initials on his AR15 barrel to make sure that if it were ever stolen, he could easily identify his property if found.

Would he damage his rifle barrel if he chose to stamp his initials onto it?

I would probably go with a laser engraving.

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    And this.

M,

Well crap, this is different than what I had in my mind as compliant. Meaning, it must be a)stamped, or b) deemed heavy by the manufacturer.
    This may be another example of, I wish no one had asked. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom