• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
     I am a new MD resident and just moved from VA , I already submitted my handgun registration form ( not handgun owner license) about one and half month ago, but my case is still pending .
     I checked the web message said , pending , Application has been received. Application is being processed or waiting for required documentation from applicant. You will be contacted for any shortage.
    The message also said,for New Resident Registration, do not be alarmed if you application stays in Pending state for an extended period of time. This is normal.
     I just want to know, How long should I wait before I call the police department to check if it still is pending ?
    Thanks.

Last edited:

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
     I am a new MD resident and just moved from VA , I already submitted my handgun registration form ( not handgun owner license) about one and half month ago, but my case is still pending .
     I checked the web message said , pending , Application has been received. Application is being processed or waiting for required documentation from applicant. You will be contacted for any shortage.
    The message also said,for New Resident Registration, do not be alarmed if you application stays in Pending state for an extended period of time. This is normal.
     I just want to know, How long should I wait before I call the police department to check if it still is pending ?
    Thanks.

Do you mean an HQL app or a carry permit?

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    no, not HQL or Carry permit. only resident of MD should register all handguns he/she owns. even I got it , I still can't sell, buy or transfer. I must apply the HQL.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Handgun registration form, meaning you brought it with you from VA?

What is the upside to bugging them? Finding out that you are ineligible to own a gun due to MD's peculiar rules? Finding out that the gun is not on the roster? Finding out that its a banned assault pistol?

There is no real real to bug them if you already possess the gun. How long it takes is their problem. You can still sell the gun. And there is no barrier to buying another gun so long as you have your HQL.

Some states do not even require "voluntary" registration. Seems to me if you are already biting your nails over voluntary you have early symptoms of BGOS (Battered Gun Owner Syndrome). Welcome to the club!

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Handgun registration form, meaning you brought it with you from VA?

What is the upside to bugging them? Finding out that you are ineligible to own a gun due to MD's peculiar rules? Finding out that the gun is not on the roster? Finding out that its a banned assault pistol?

There is no real real to bug them if you already possess the gun. How long it takes is their problem. You can still sell the gun. And there is no barrier to buying another gun so long as you have your HQL.

Some states do not even require "voluntary" registration. Seems to me if you are already biting your nails over voluntary you have early symptoms of BGOS (Battered Gun Owner Syndrome). Welcome to the club!

Registration is no longer "voluntary" and he must have an HQL to sell a handgun in MD.

"12 civilly liable for certain actions; requiring a person who moves into the State for
    13 the purpose of establishing residency to register certain firearms within a
    14 certain time period with the Secretary in a certain manner;
    "

"28 suspension under certain circumstances; prohibiting a certain person from
    29 selling, purchasing, renting, transferring, or receiving a certain regulated
    30 firearm unless the person presents or possesses a certain handgun qualification
    31 license issued by the Secretary of State Police or certain credentials or
    32 identification; providing for certain exceptions to the requirement to present
    33 and possess a certain handgun qualification license under certain
    34 circumstances;"

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I don't need to sell or buy any handgun right now , I only follow the MD gun law to register all handgun I have , if this is no longer "voluntary", I already paid money , they should approve it or let me know the reason if not approving. Thanks.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ugh. These people don't get it. Any new resident from out of state (redundant I know) has 90 days to register their firearms with MSP. As far as anyone knows, you are the only person to ever do this. There is no enumerated penalty for not "registering" within 90 days of residency.

You won't get a thank you letter or anything confirming your good heartedness.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ugh. These people don't get it. Any new resident from out of state (redundant I know) has 90 days to register their firearms with MSP. As far as anyone knows, you are the only person to ever do this. There is no enumerated penalty for not "registering" within 90 days of residency.

You won't get a thank you letter or anything confirming your good heartedness.

I believe it falls under “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it” level of penalties for failure to comply with registration for moving in to the state.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, to OP, as to how long. Dunno. MSP is specifically calling out it might sit for an extended period of time for registering firearms. An HQL can take up to 30 days to process. I suspect registrations are a lot further back burner than that. If you don’t hear in 90 days it might be worth a call. However, you’ve complied with your end of the law and they specifically state they will contact you if they need anything.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    You fulfilled the statuary requirement by sending in your registration, and they obviously received it since it apparently displays somewhere as pending. Barring receipt of any additional correspondence from them, why would their lack of action be of any concern?

Kilroy3006

Jun 10, 2015
    I don't think that handguns purchased out of state and brought in by new resident need to be registered.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Registration/VoluntaryRegistration.aspx

Voluntary Registration

The registration of a regulated firearm that is not required by Maryland State statute to be registered in the Maryland Automated Firearms Services System (i.e., Firearm(s) that were legally purchased in another state by an individual who resided in that state who has now established residency in the State of Maryland and moved their estate belongings into the State of Maryland, an individual who possesses regulated firearms or other types of firearms not previously registered in the State of Maryland who desires to register it), or an individual who performed a secondary sale of a regulated firearm in Maryland prior to the Gun Violence Act of 1996 (effective October 1, 1996).

An individual wishing to perform a voluntary register a regulated firearm(s) not previously registered in Maryland shall respond to a Maryland State Police Barrack or to the Maryland State Police Licensing Division. The regulated firearm is not required to be in possession of the applicant at the time of registration.

Licensing Division is located at 1111 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville Maryland 21208. Our lobby hours for voluntary registration are between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.

When arriving at the Barrack or Licensing Division, make contact with the Duty Officer or receptionist. Advise them that you are attempting to voluntarily register a weapon(s). You will be provided a MSP Form 77R-1 page 1, 77R-1 page 2, 77R-2 and 77R-3, to complete.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't think that handguns purchased out of state and brought in by new resident need to be registered.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Registration/VoluntaryRegistration.aspx

Voluntary Registration

The registration of a regulated firearm that is not required by Maryland State statute to be registered in the Maryland Automated Firearms Services System (i.e., Firearm(s) that were legally purchased in another state by an individual who resided in that state who has now established residency in the State of Maryland and moved their estate belongings into the State of Maryland, an individual who possesses regulated firearms or other types of firearms not previously registered in the State of Maryland who desires to register it), or an individual who performed a secondary sale of a regulated firearm in Maryland prior to the Gun Violence Act of 1996 (effective October 1, 1996).

An individual wishing to perform a voluntary register a regulated firearm(s) not previously registered in Maryland shall respond to a Maryland State Police Barrack or to the Maryland State Police Licensing Division. The regulated firearm is not required to be in possession of the applicant at the time of registration.

Licensing Division is located at 1111 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville Maryland 21208. Our lobby hours for voluntary registration are between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.

When arriving at the Barrack or Licensing Division, make contact with the Duty Officer or receptionist. Advise them that you are attempting to voluntarily register a weapon(s). You will be provided a MSP Form 77R-1 page 1, 77R-1 page 2, 77R-2 and 77R-3, to complete.

Nope, regulated firearms must be registered when you move in to the state within 90 days. Notice the language.

They say FIREARMS purchased in another state and then brought in with your estate when establishing residency don’t have to. OR regulated firearms from existing residents who hadn’t previously registered them don’t have to be registered, but could be voluntarily registered.

REGULATED firearms purchased out of state must be registered when brought in to MD when you establish residency.

There is a clear distinction between a FIREARM and a REGULATED FIREARM statutorily. But it does sound a little confusing on a quick read through.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Nope, regulated firearms must be registered when you move in to the state within 90 days. Notice the language.

They say FIREARMS purchased in another state and then brought in with your estate when establishing residency don’t have to. OR.........There is a clear distinction between a FIREARM and a REGULATED FIREARM statutorily. But it does sound a little confusing on a quick read through.

This is the page that makes it clear if you ask me...The problem I see is that if you grew up and are coming from a state that doesn't require registration why would you even think to seek this information out??. I know, I know "ignorance of the law"... blah blah blah.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

New Resident

As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency.

The new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense.

The electronic registration fee will be $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I don't go back to think why I did so a stupid thing if other people didn't really to do it. They said in 90 days if I don't do it , maybe some day late I will be charged the penalty when I want to register it . so I just did it and believe they should give me an answer because I paid money already!

efeng - I get that you're trying to do the right thing. As you see, there is a lot of cynicism on this board about Maryland gun laws. I'm sorry to say that you'll probably find that to be well-founded. Maryland passes gun laws to regulate the Baltimore boy'z in the hood, who ignore the laws, leaving the rest of us to deal with them. It would be a remarkably good case study of bad government, if you didn't have to live in it. I think your best bet is to leave things as they stand. You complied with the law as you understand it. The ball is in the state's court. Of course they should give you an answer, but any answer other than "OK" only burdens you further. I can only advise to get used to it. Maryland gun laws are inconsistent, nonsensical, and inconsistently applied by people who often don't understand them as well as you do. If you really want to take a positive step, move out of the People's Democratic Republic of Marylandistan. I plan to do that as soon as family makes that possible.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I got my HQL register certification before Christmas , It let me to wait for two and half months. but I still need to apply HQL license if I want to purchase any handgun.

Thanks.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Registration is no longer "voluntary" and he must have an HQL to sell a handgun in MD.

"12 civilly liable for certain actions; requiring a person who moves into the State for
    13 the purpose of establishing residency to register certain firearms within a
    14 certain time period with the Secretary in a certain manner;
    "

"28 suspension under certain circumstances; prohibiting a certain person from
    29 selling, purchasing, renting, transferring, or receiving a certain regulated
    30 firearm unless the person presents or possesses a certain handgun qualification
    31 license issued by the Secretary of State Police or certain credentials or
    32 identification; providing for certain exceptions to the requirement to present
    33 and possess a certain handgun qualification license under certain
    34 circumstances;"

I don't believe you need a HQL to sell a handgun, just need it to purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom