• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Dumb move from a PR perspective. The number of overturns is a drop in the bucket, maybe 20-25 a year at the place they're going. So if the MGA keeps pursuing this, it becomes a news story, the small number of overturns gets noted, the MGA's desire to remove civilian oversight despite the few overturns is reported, and probably a sympathetic figure or two is interviewed. Maybe it's also reported the concealed permit carriers have an extremely low rate of shooting others, and maybe it's also reported that they undergo extensive training, background checks, and fingerprinting to be eligible. Does the State continue with the farce that they have a shall issue standard if the MGA works so hard to tip the scales to prevent 25 or so additional individuals a year from getting permits? Especially if the reporting reveals the system has a standard to allow a person with a check to his business to carry a gun to protect it but not a mother who wants to protect her kids? Frankly, we need the publicity.

On a related note, if the MGA makes this move, what's to prevent Hogan from fixing the issue through LD appointments (other than political cowardice)?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Awesome post. Agreed

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    The problem is that most people in MD don't care. The local media most likely wouldn't even report on it. Look at how long it took to get rid of the shell casing program. Most Marylanders probably thought it was a good idea even though they had no clue how it worked. (And that it didn't solve one crime)
    The MGA, the media, and a large part of the citizenry has portrayed guns as evil. They have had that PR machine in place for decades. This wouldn't hurt them one bit.

If the MGA doesn't approve the current board members then Hogan could appoint another set of people similar to what we have now. (With two exceptions) We could get to the next session and then have them thrown out and start all over. Even if he does appoint new people, look at how much time it took for them to try to fix all of the underhanded/illegal stuff the HPRB was doing before!
    Of course if MD were true Shall Issue, none of this crap would even exist
    It actually did solve one case. But only one. Some guy named Jason something or other who worked for UPS and did some home invasions and murders in PG County.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Dumb move from a PR perspective. The number of overturns is a drop in the bucket, maybe 20-25 a year at the place they're going. So if the MGA keeps pursuing this, it becomes a news story, the small number of overturns gets noted, the MGA's desire to remove civilian oversight despite the few overturns is reported, and probably a sympathetic figure or two is interviewed. Maybe it's also reported the concealed permit carriers have an extremely low rate of shooting others, and maybe it's also reported that they undergo extensive training, background checks, and fingerprinting to be eligible. Does the State continue with the farce that they have a shall issue standard if the MGA works so hard to tip the scales to prevent 25 or so additional individuals a year from getting permits? Especially if the reporting reveals the system has a standard to allow a person with a check to his business to carry a gun to protect it but not a mother who wants to protect her kids? Frankly, we need the publicity.

On a related note, if the MGA makes this move, what's to prevent Hogan from fixing the issue through LD appointments (other than political cowardice)?

Presupposes a lot of media chief editor writing things our way and not their way. Simple omission of a word or two changes the perceived meaning of many stories.

Mainly, assumes it would be covered at all, which unfortunately, I doubt.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I think the question becomes, who pays for it?

I wonder the same thing. Couldn't the Republcans in MD GA bring suit, like when they were a minority in congress they did it a few times against the president? Isn't there a similar mechanism for the State legislature?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Presupposes a lot of media chief editor writing things our way and not their way. Simple omission of a word or two changes the perceived meaning of many stories.

Mainly, assumes it would be covered at all, which unfortunately, I doubt.

I think sunlight doesn't hurt. The MGA is investing time and capital over a very small number of folks getting permits in MD to the end that they will prove shall issue is a myth and one needs to be a business owner to merit a permit. Sure, we might lose a battle and they may change how the HPRB is appointed or whether it exists. We can't do anything to change this if they are moving down this path. However I don't see it as a complete negative if it draws some media attention, and even if the media are skewed, some try to balance coverage. The Post covers in detail gun restriction legislation in MD. The MGA were mocked in the media for their recent toy gun ban legislation. Who would have thought?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It actually did solve one case. But only one. Some guy named Jason something or other who worked for UPS and did some home invasions and murders in PG County.

Nope, it verified that the firearm found was the one used in the crime, after the detectives already had enough evidence to arrest, and charge the felon. The firearm was found after the arrest, and the arrest was based on other evidence.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I think sunlight doesn't hurt. The MGA is investing time and capital over a very small number of folks getting permits in MD to the end that they will prove shall issue is a myth and one needs to be a business owner to merit a permit. Sure, we might lose a battle and they may change how the HPRB is appointed or whether it exists. We can't do anything to change this if they are moving down this path. However I don't see it as a complete negative if it draws some media attention, and even if the media are skewed, some try to balance coverage. The Post covers in detail gun restriction legislation in MD. The MGA were mocked in the media for their recent toy gun ban legislation. Who would have thought?

Just remember that Maryland is the state that suspended a grade school child for having a Pop Tart eaten into the shape of either a gun or the state of Idaho. No light at the end of this tunnel for a while.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Nope, it verified that the firearm found was the one used in the crime, after the detectives already had enough evidence to arrest, and charge the felon. The firearm was found after the arrest, and the arrest was based on other evidence.
    You are correct solve wasn't the right word. It was used as evidence in the prosecution of one case is what I should have said.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You are correct solve wasn't the right word. It was used as evidence in the prosecution of one case is what I should have said.

There were actually eight cases that the information from the Shell Casing program was used as additional evidence, but those cases would have still been convicted successfully without the information.

So, the program solved exactly 0 cases, but was used as additional evidence after arrests were made.

We are on the same sheet, just adding more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom