• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    DNR already knows there are coyotes in every county in MD. They don't seem to be treating them as the pest they can be.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Resurrecting this thread.

Boarder at our horse farm just called and told me a coyote just ran through one of the riding rings and out into the fields. So that will be the first sighting ever for us. We're in Moco just north of Silver Spring.

Is this something DNR should be told about to track their progression into the state?

DNR already knows there are coyotes in every county in MD. They don't seem to be treating them as the pest they can be.
    Yep. They are also in Baltimore City. I believe you can kill them 24/7/365.

Yep. They are also in Baltimore City. I believe you can kill them 24/7/365.

Negative.night hunting is only allowed Oct to march and certain hunting methods can only be used certain times of the year and then only depending on where you are hunting/trapping. They are considered furbearers so you need a furbearers stamp to kill them..

IMO they should be unprotected vermin..they kill fawns, livestock and pets and spread disease.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Negative.night hunting is only allowed Oct to march and certain hunting methods can only be used certain times of the year and then only depending on where you are hunting/trapping. They are considered furbearers so you need a furbearers stamp to kill them..

IMO they should be unprotected vermin..they kill fawns, livestock and pets and spread disease.

Thanks for the correction. Have a gun set up for them and a place to go. Will check regs.

Thanks for the correction. Have a gun set up for them and a place to go. Will check regs.

Night hunting for them is a blast..night vision isn't required. We just use an electronic caller and green lights. I've got a 300BO set up for them. Hopefully by fall I will have a can on it and shoot subs to keep the noise down...we take foxes as well on farms with chickens

I know very little about them since I've never dealt with them. Are they something strong enough to take down a full grown horse?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Night hunting for them is a blast..night vision isn't required. We just use an electronic caller and green lights. I've gate a 300BO set up for them. Hopefully by fall I will have a can on it and shoot subs to keep the noise down...we take foxes as well on farms with chickens

I have a Gen 3 image intensifier tube. Just need to buy the housing and I'll be GTG with night vision. My planned coyote rifle is also a .300 BLK, and has a can.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I know very little about them since I've never dealt with them. Are they something strong enough to take down a full grown horse?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

No. They attack my cousin's sheep. He fixed that with a couple of burros. Those nasty little guys will attack coyotes.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.

Just like black bear?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville

Coyotes maybe hunted year round in all counties during daylight. Oct 14- Mar 15 is day or night. You do need a furbearer permit $5. Certain locations may have some weapon requirements, but they're not addressed in the hunting guide, so basically by any legal method. Gun, archery, airbow. Truth is they're not really huntable 24/7/365, because you cant hunt them on Sundays. Trapping has different rules .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Coyotes maybe hunted year round in all counties during daylight. Oct 14- Mar 15 is day or night. You do need a furbearer permit $5. Certain locations may have some weapon requirements, but they're not addressed in the hunting guide, so basically by any legal method. Gun, archery, airbow. Truth is they're not really huntable 24/7/365, because you cant hunt them on Sundays. Trapping has different rules .

One correction, it is my understanding if damaging property (that includes harassing livestock or pets or people) so long as you are obeying local ordinances, fair game 24/7/365. Sundays, nights, etc.

But no, you can’t hunt them then. Just exterminate an active threat. So it is nosing around your chicken coop and you don’t have some local ordinance against discharge of firearms or something, let the lead fly.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Saw a coyote in broad daylight this week. In a cut hay field in St Mary's county.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    wow

No. They attack my cousin's sheep. He fixed that with a couple of burros. Those nasty little guys will attack coyotes.

I did not know that. Now that explains why is see a burro or two with livestock. I always sing the Sesame Street song- One of these things is not like the others... Good to know. There is a place on the right side of 27 north of Dumbascus near Mt. Airy that has a some livestock livestock and, yup a burro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom