Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 21st, 2019, 11:16 PM #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by remrug View Post
I really enjoy reading your hunting stories.One thing I think you should look out for. I have one small parcel of land that I hunt every year.It mostly holds does and small bucks,but I have killed a couple of nice bucks in the early ML season or during the rut with a bow..One thing I have noticed throughout the years is I can only get 1 or 2 deer out of here per year.Once I disturb the woods with my scent while retrieving the deer,they stop coming through that spot.Except button bucks.....they are here all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Good call. At least in my case with my property, I think they mostly ignore my scent. Now granted I donít have big bucks coming through all the time, but other than ďgolden hoursĒ when I try to avoid my side yard when the deer are out there munching on corn or clover (except when I canít) I donít stay out of there and the herd comes through on the regular.
I have a strange piece of property I hunt. I could quite literally go through the woods pissing on things and tearing ass on the 4 wheeler. They will still be out at that corn pile religiously every night around 17:00-17:30. I go over once a week to put corn out and Iím not too shy about it. I donít think Iíve ever been in the woods hunting and didnít at least see a deer. Even if I didnít shoot at it. They are always there.
BossmanPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:29 PM #252

Those of you who have already filled your freezers, please keep hunting and consider donating a deer or two.....

Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry

https://www.fhfh.org/

"We pay local butcher shops to transform donated deer and livestock into protein-rich meat for food banks and feeding ministries."

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
NSCA Level I Instructor
Mack C-85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:43 PM #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack C-85 View Post
Those of you who have already filled your freezers, please keep hunting and consider donating a deer or two.....

Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry

https://www.fhfh.org/

"We pay local butcher shops to transform donated deer and livestock into protein-rich meat for food banks and feeding ministries."

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
I likely will be late season. Donating and hunting I mean. I can use one more for the freezer. After that, itís getting donated.

Just trying for a nice buck between now and late season. If no luck then Iíll just go for another doe or two.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:46 PM #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossmanPJ View Post
I have a strange piece of property I hunt. I could quite literally go through the woods pissing on things and tearing ass on the 4 wheeler. They will still be out at that corn pile religiously every night around 17:00-17:30. I go over once a week to put corn out and Iím not too shy about it. I donít think Iíve ever been in the woods hunting and didnít at least see a deer. Even if I didnít shoot at it. They are always there.
Heck my corn feeder is me with a couple of empty Folgers containers as scoops for corn tossing it out on my lawn. About 4lbs for two scoops. Every 2-3 days. Half the time deer are out there 5 minutes later if I do it in the later afternoon/evening. Pretty sure they are bedded down about 150-200yds away one my neighbors property and they hear it like dinner bells.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 10:16 AM #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossmanPJ View Post
The spot I hunt is about a 5 acre patch of thick woods.There is zero human traffic or scent in there unless I retrieve a deer.

I can see where the deer are used to seeing and smelling people,they will not be as freaked out when they do.
remrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 04:08 PM #256

Had some luck yesterday morning. The Rage 2 Blade was devastating. I butchered her and I have an old fridge in the basement that I rigged up because I donít have a walk-in. I put two cross pieces of paracord with knots in. I get large hooks with leaders for fishing and tie them onto the paracord and they hold the meat before processing.

On a separate note, when I went to hang her up I noticed this squirrel under my car port pulled inside out.....any idea what animal could have done this?
Attached Images

Silverlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 09:57 AM #257

^Great solution with the old fridge! I might do this, too.

I'm going to guess either a taxidermist or a fox as the culprit.
Derwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 02:50 PM #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlax View Post

On a separate note, when I went to hang her up I noticed this squirrel under my car port pulled inside out.....any idea what animal could have done this?
A human. That's how you skin a squirrel.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 09:37 PM #259
Opinionated Libertarian

Opinionated Libertarian

Skunked again. Took the day off and had my boy play hooky, but still only thing we saw was what we bumped going in. Heard a couple bucks grunting before sunset, but they never made an appearance.
KIBarrister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 11:42 PM #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlax View Post
Had some luck yesterday morning. The Rage 2 Blade was devastating. I butchered her and I have an old fridge in the basement that I rigged up because I donít have a walk-in. I put two cross pieces of paracord with knots in. I get large hooks with leaders for fishing and tie them onto the paracord and they hold the meat before processing.

Hawks will do that. I also saw where vultures or eagles did that with a possum. It was a possum I trapped that had this awful huge wound and I dispatched it, so I left it out in the field, and next day saw 2 bald eagles fly off it, and some vultures hanging around. I went to look at it and was turned inside out with leg bones still attached.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports