Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Neighborhood > Delaware
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 21st, 2019, 08:25 PM #41
ReMember

ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot View Post
Timely reboot. Let me tell you my saga with Amerigas. We have a smallish tank 120 lbs I think. We use it to run a propane fireplace in the house. Tank is owned by Amerigas. We go through one tank per year so we never make the minimum and we get charged a rental fee for the tank. Tank is probably 10 years old. I just called for my annual refill and they quoted me $4.58/ gallon to fill our tank! I said no I want 2019 prices please. They couldn't explain why it was so high. So I discussed my options with them: bend over and pay their price, buy the tank for $225 + tax, or have them come remove the tank for $135. Still deciding what to do.

PS just filled up our 500 gallon tank at cabin in PA for 1.56/gallon
Remove the tank yourself and drop it off. It's nothing more than turning the gas off and disconnecting the line. Put the $135 towards a tank from the links I posted above, or below.

If you want smaller tank(s) 100lb tanks can be had anywhere. HD/Lowes sells them new, or used below.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd...001222077.html
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/for...995865891.html
https://delaware.craigslist.org/grd/...963329411.html
adit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 08:51 PM #42

Quote:
Timely reboot. Let me tell you my saga with Amerigas. We have a smallish tank 120 lbs I think. We use it to run a propane fireplace in the house. Tank is owned by Amerigas. We go through one tank per year so we never make the minimum and we get charged a rental fee for the tank. Tank is probably 10 years old. I just called for my annual refill and they quoted me $4.58/ gallon to fill our tank! I said no I want 2019 prices please. They couldn't explain why it was so high. So I discussed my options with them: bend over and pay their price, buy the tank for $225 + tax, or have them come remove the tank for $135. Still deciding what to do.

PS just filled up our 500 gallon tank at cabin in PA for 1.56/gallon
I am so happy I read through this contract and all the indemnity and limit of liability clauses in the contract that I doubt Suburban would be willing to redline (i.e., they are adhesion in nature). It got me so steaming mad and thinking about how anti consumer this contract is, that I figured I wasn't signing this steaming pile but looking for other suppliers and/or keeping my options completely open going forward.

Glad I remembered this thread from the spring.

Without a written agreement between you and me, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 10:44 PM #43
ReMember

ReMember

And one more thing, if you buy a used tank, make sure you get a Bill of Sale. Some companies won't fill a personally owned tank without one. Keep your receipt if you buy a new one.

These tanks will last forever. Outside of obvious abuse (i.e. bullet holes) there should be no reservations in buying a used tank.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:35 AM #44
Cheaper Than Diamonds

Cheaper Than Diamonds

Quote:
Timely reboot. Let me tell you my saga with Amerigas. We have a smallish tank 120 lbs I think. [...] buy the tank for $225 + tax
There are 100 lb tanks and there are 120 gallon tanks (420 lb). If it's the latter, $225 would be a bargain. That makes me think it's the 100 lb (23.6 gallon). If so, that's a screw job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
Remove the tank yourself and drop it off.
If it's the 100 lb DOT tank, he can do that. I think bigger tanks (ASME) have different rules that make it hard or illegal to move it yourself.

Quote:
And one more thing, if you buy a used tank, make sure you get a Bill of Sale. Some companies won't fill a personally owned tank without one.
True, and good advice.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 03:31 AM #45
ReMember

ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
There are 100 lb tanks and there are 120 gallon tanks (420 lb). If it's the latter, $225 would be a bargain. That makes me think it's the 100 lb (23.6 gallon). If so, that's a screw job.

If it's the 100 lb DOT tank, he can do that. I think bigger tanks (ASME) have different rules that make it hard or illegal to move it yourself.

True, and good advice.
IIRC DOT regulations on fuel transport kick in at 1000lbs. Tanks over 125 gal cannot be more than 5% full, AKA empty. Over that and you need HAZMAT endorsement on a CDL and a propane placard.
Old October 24th, 2019, 09:11 PM #46

So, i’m curious.

You guys who own your tanks, how much per gallon are you saving over a leased tank?

I’m faced with installing a tank this fall and so far, 1 supplier is at $249 / yr for 1000 gallon with fills at $2.29

And they will not sell me a tank. Says owned tanks are a few (5 cents) per gallon cheaper to fill

Btw - he told how bad Thrifty Propane sux when it comes time for refill.

Maybe that is because they (thrifty) don’t have a presence out here in Allegany Co.
DadOSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 09:18 PM #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOSix View Post
So, i’m curious.

You guys who own your tanks, how much per gallon are you saving over a leased tank?

I’m faced with installing a tank this fall and so far, 1 supplier is at $249 / yr for 1000 gallon with fills at $2.29

And they will not sell me a tank. Says owned tanks are a few (5 cents) per gallon cheaper to fill

Btw - he told how bad Thrifty Propane sux when it comes time for refill.

Maybe that is because they (thrifty) don’t have a presence out here in Allegany Co.

I can only give you my experience, we took over the plan from.previous owner. It was $40 per month for tank lease and 80 gallons (figure $480 per year). I got a smoking deal on a used tank(120 gallon)so I dont think my comparison is the norm (it was $200). Depeding on when I fill it (summer being cheaper than winter) I've seen low $2/gallon up to mid $3/gallon. I use more propane now but I'm still way ahead.
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 09:24 PM #48
ReMember

ReMember

Figure on $0.70 - $1 / gallon cheaper if you own your tank.

All propane is moved via rail. The closer you are to a supplier who has nearby rail access the cheaper the price should be.
Old October 24th, 2019, 10:23 PM #49

Quote:
Figure on $0.70 - $1 / gallon cheaper if you own your tank.

All propane is moved via rail. The closer you are to a supplier who has nearby rail access the cheaper the price should be.

Just got my leased 100 gal tank filled. $4.359 a gal! Actual cost of propane is under $2/gal. Rest is “add one” like “hazardous material handling” fee. Looks almost like my electric bill with all the extra charges.
Mightydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 11:02 PM #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightydog View Post
Just got my leased 100 gal tank filled. $4.359 a gal! Actual cost of propane is under $2/gal. Rest is “add one” like “hazardous material handling” fee. Looks almost like my electric bill with all the extra charges.
How many gallons did they put in?

Think I will have a stroke if propane costs us $4.60/gallon for 500 gallons. Will be installing wood stoves throughout the house if that is the case.

Without a written agreement between you and me, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Neighborhood > Delaware

Tags
propane