• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fd3stt

Sep 1, 2016
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Mods, my apologies if this thread is in the wrong subforum.

Having recently acquired an 80% polymer AR lower and an AK flat, I've been thinking about what happens if I don't finish them prior to potential new legislation banning their posession. Because I'm probably going to concentrate on the 3 other rifles I'm building, there's little chance I'll even touch them in the next 24 months.

I realize that the burden of proof is on the state as far as when they were purchased, but I'd just assume to avoid any conflict in that regard if I can. I'm curious if anyone here has taken steps to try and avoid any such issues.

Also, this is all predicated on the assumption that amy legislation will include a grandfather clause, which I suppose is not guaranteed at all.

John

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If its 80%, then you are "building it yourself".
    IANAL, but you still can't "built it yourself" a banned firearm that is banned when you build it from 80%.
    At least that is what I"ve seen agreed to here OVER AND OVER.

No building an AR15 that is not an HBAR or copy of AR15 that is not HBAR
    No building an AK47 or copy of AK47

AK 47 is already banned right now. EDIT : That's AK 47 Rifles only (See Post below)

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If its 80%, then you are "building it yourself".
    IANAL, but you still can't "built it yourself" a banned firearm that is banned when you build it from 80%.
    At least that is what I"ve seen agreed to here OVER AND OVER.

No building an AR15 that is not an HBAR or copy of AR15 that is not HBAR
    No building an AK47 or copy of AK47

AK 47 is already banned right now.

AK rifles are banned, but not AK pistols. ;)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    #1 first post, "Legal-ish" law question. Don't expect many responses with suggestions or what someone else has done. Good luck.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    My understanding is that once you "start" milling a 80%, it becomes a firearm, if you catch my drift.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Has anyone else noticed a trend over the last week with brand new folks to the forum (1 or 2 posts) starting off with questions about the envelope of legality? Hummmm.

You mean new shooters asking how to stay within the confines of the law and asking the largest MD 2A forum? Yeah I've noticed and I'm always happy to help people stay within the law. Now, buncha new guys asking how to make their AR Full Auto? That would set off my spidey senses.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You mean new shooters asking how to stay within the confines of the law and asking the largest MD 2A forum? Yeah I've noticed and I'm always happy to help people stay within the law. Now, buncha new guys asking how to make their AR Full Auto? That would set off my spidey senses.

Agreed.

Elections are coming and people are thinking ... and wondering/worrying about the future

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I worked for a company that used newsgroups for research. This question is formed very carefully and the wording is familiar. I advised them to make accounts on various sites that they thought they might want to research so they'd have a presence there and not look like a nooby but they never took that advice and it appears here as well. I for one think this is a fishing trip. But then again, I don't trust anyone and assume the absolute worst in mankind. So YMMV.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Mods, my apologies if this thread is in the wrong subforum.

Having recently acquired an 80% polymer AR lower and an AK flat, I've been thinking about what happens if I don't finish them prior to potential new legislation banning their posession. Because I'm probably going to concentrate on the 3 other rifles I'm building, there's little chance I'll even touch them in the next 24 months.

I realize that the burden of proof is on the state as far as when they were purchased, but I'd just assume to avoid any conflict in that regard if I can. I'm curious if anyone here has taken steps to try and avoid any such issues.

Also, this is all predicated on the assumption that amy legislation will include a grandfather clause, which I suppose is not guaranteed at all.

John

John you might want to introduce yourself, there is a section of the forum for that.

Then you might want to tell the members something about what your interests are and what part of the state you live in then maybe something about your experience level with firearms and maybe a offer to help others on the forum.

When you have a question it is always a good idea to conduct a little research first, we have extensive archives here and with over 4,000,000 posts it is possible that your question may have already been answered in whole or in part. You could then just ask for clarification if required.

I better stop before I say something Norton will make me regert (:lol2:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom