• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VTHokies

Aug 26, 2016
    Bel Air
    Sorry if this has been answered before, and I feel like it should have been...but I cannot find an answer.

I am currently looking to purchase my first handgun from GunBroker after I got my HQL a couple weeks ago. My question is...If I buy a handgun that comes with a couple 16 round magazines and have it shipped to the FFL, what will happen? From my understanding, magazines over 10 rounds are illegal. Will they take the 16 rounders and just give me the handgun without them? Ship the whole thing back to the seller? I am having trouble finding any handguns that come with 10 round mags (I want a CZ 75 sp01).

Any advice on how to navigate this are really appreciated.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Depends on the FFL. I had the selling FFL tack on an additional 7 dollars to my purchase price and they shipped them to VA. Ask the Recieving FFL you plan to use. Everything else your gonna get is just a guess.

If you name the MD FFL you plan to use somewhere here may have a better knowledge cuz they've dealt with them

zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    From my understanding, magazines over 10 rounds are illegal. Will they take the 16 rounders and just give me the handgun without them? Ship the whole thing back to the seller? I am having trouble finding any handguns that come with 10 round mags (I want a CZ 75 sp01).

I would call the shop you plan to transfer to and ask them how they will handle it. Depending on their answer and what you end up buying, you may call around to a few stores because the difference in blocked mags vs no mags could save you a few bucks purchasing compliant magazines.

You can also ask the seller to not include mags.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Options:

Have seller remove mags and lower price. Or supply 10 round mags.

Have receiving FFL remove mags.

Have seller send mags to outside MD address. Some people have used ship to UPS store over the line. Or a friend or family.

Have receiving FFL ship mags to outside MD.

Talk to receiving FFL about ordering an MD compliant version and not having to pay shipping and transfer fee. Maybe be close, or even cheaper than the way your are going.

I only buy off GB for things that a dealer cannot order (out of production).

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    As Pinecone said, call around to local shops for a MD version. You may be within a few bucks after shipping and transfer fees. Is saving a couple bucks worth the hassle? Not sure where you are located, but start with the IP's that support this forum. Most are good people who will treat you right. Buy local and help keep the LGS in business.
    One IP even offers free leg humpings with every purchase/visit.

Nosce Hostem

MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2016
    Northern Balt. County, MD
    From my understanding, magazines over 10 rounds are illegal.

Higher capacity magazines aren't illegal in the state. Just illegal to purchase, sell or transfer within the state boundaries. Perfectly legal to get higher capacity magazines across the border for personal use and bring them home.

That said, would just follow others advice and see if the seller will swap out for 10 round ones or take them out completely.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Higher capacity magazines aren't illegal in the state. Just illegal to purchase, sell or transfer within the state boundaries. Perfectly legal to get higher capacity magazines across the border for personal use and bring them home.

That said, would just follow others advice and see if the seller will swap out for 10 round ones or take them out completely.

or "offer for sale"

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    or "offer for sale"

The entire prohibition for magazines is:
    b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-305. As others have observed, this list does not include "possession"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom