• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Not to thread jack, but I had to do some thinking last night. I had an after work meeting with some colleagues a Starbucks in Laurel. We were sitting at an outside table discussing some work issues when about 100 yards away I see what looks like 2 Asian guys fighting in the parking lot. One of them had a pair of jumper cables and looked like he was going to choke the other guy with it... he actually had him down on the ground when before I knew what I was doing, I'm on my feet and moving to help the guy I'm thinking is about to be strangled. As I'm moving in their direction a woman that was with them starts waving me off saying, "They are just joking around". The guys see that they've attacked attention and break it up.

I go back to my table and start second guessing myself about 1) maybe that's a good way to get shot... and 2) if I did wind up engaging the aggressor and subduing him with a submission hold or something, what happens to me legally.... have I just inadvertently made myself a prohibited person in a state not know for doing the right thing for good Samaritans? Spur of the moment decision.... I would probably do the same thing again if someone looked like they needed help, but man it sucks that you have to second guess doing the right thing.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Not to thread jack, but I had to do some thinking last night. I had an after work meeting with some colleagues a Starbucks in Laurel. We were sitting at an outside table discussing some work issues when about 100 yards away I see what looks like 2 Asian guys fighting in the parking lot. One of them had a pair of jumper cables and looked like he was going to choke the other guy with it... he actually had him down on the ground when before I knew what I was doing, I'm on my feet and moving to help the guy I'm thinking is about to be strangled. As I'm moving in their direction a woman that was with them starts waving me off saying, "Their just joking around". The guys see that they've attacked attention and break it up.

I go back to my table and start second guessing myself about 1) maybe that's a good way to get shot... and 2) if I did wind up engaging the aggressor and subduing him with a submission hold or something, what happens to me legally.... have I just inadvertently made myself a prohibited person in a state not know for doing the right thing for good Samaritans? Spur of the moment decision.... I would probably do the same thing again if someone looked like they needed help, but man it sucks that you have to second guess doing the right thing.
    Carl Douglas approves of this post. :D

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    PBJ for" crimes of violence" is a prohibitor.
    2nd degree assault PBJ is exempted from that.
    2nd degree assault convictions are a prohibitor.
    2nd degree assault is md's lowest assault charge, if you have any assault conviction from any state, and you move to MD, MD considers it the equivalent of 2nd degree assault.

Expungements used to only be availavle for PBJ's, stets, and nolle prosse charges, not convictions.

Supposedly this last session MD passed a law allowing convictions to be expunged, 2nd degree assault is included (supposedly), but you need to wait 10 years, and have no other convictions in that time frame.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Not to thread jack, but I had to do some thinking last night. I had an after work meeting with some colleagues a Starbucks in Laurel. We were sitting at an outside table discussing some work issues when about 100 yards away I see what looks like 2 Asian guys fighting in the parking lot. One of them had a pair of jumper cables and looked like he was going to choke the other guy with it... he actually had him down on the ground when before I knew what I was doing, I'm on my feet and moving to help the guy I'm thinking is about to be strangled. As I'm moving in their direction a woman that was with them starts waving me off saying, "They are just joking around". The guys see that they've attacked attention and break it up.

The other problem to consider is how do you know which is the "good guy"? The guy on the ground may have committed a heinous crime and the guy on top may be trying to subdue him until the police arrive in which case you may allow the "bad guy" to escape. Would that make you an accessory after the fact or open you to a lawsuit if he then commits other crimes?

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    Pilot, you asked for suggestions....

Yes, you can go to court & request dispensation, but that will cost a lot of money, take a long time, & you may not get a sympathetic judge.

You did not tell us in which city/county/state you were convicted. You need to get a copy of your criminal record, to verify the exact crime(s) for which you were convicted. Then, you need to research state/local law to find the possible penalties for your crimes. The FBI is not a reliable source, they just pass on information that was reported to them; they don't really care if a mistake was made, correcting it is your problem.

Depending upon the crime & the length of time you have been clean, you can request a pardon from the governor. In MD, you apply through the Dept of Corrections & Parole. You are investigated by MSP, who may interview your neighbors & employer. So, your past may become public knowledge, especially since this is covered under FOIA.

Expungement (removal of your records) can only be requested after a pardon is granted & processed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom