• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Oh, and thanks for the Blueforce link. That belt IS badass, and I found something else on their site I've been looking for.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'm glad I refrained from responding to the asshats. Kev, you put a lot of thought into that because your life has depending on that critical thinking in defense of this country. The fact that you would go out of your way to humbly offer your personal and professional insight into something others can use for their own training and knowledge is very much appreciated by most of us.

For some, perhaps this isn't your shooting discipline, or you don't see how it relates to your particular shooting interests. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you should poke fun at someone's efforts to impart their experience for the benefit of others.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks for the write-up kevp. Does anyone have any experience with the ATS war belt and insert? I keep being torn between that one and the SOC-C from BFG.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Yet another post that makes me go "Hmmm." More stuff that I haven't messed with yet. When I put gear together, regardless of the purpose, I like to do it right the first time.

Thanks for sharing.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Thanks for the write-up kevp. Does anyone have any experience with the ATS war belt and insert? I keep being torn between that one and the SOC-C from BFG.

I've been wondering the same. Both get good reviews, but the SOC-C is expensive and has a 6-8wk wait time, while the ATS is more affordable and available. I need mine for Mayberry, so I'll prob be getting the ATS.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Nice write-up Kev. The ol warbelt, H-Harness and butt pack sure has come a long way. The LBV was hitting the fleet when I retired, I thought that was hitech. I still stay plugged in with what the boys are currently using, but it's hard to keep track. It's sad that it took a war to finally get hitech gear pushed down to the grunts who had been using Vietnam era gear since... Vietnam.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Great write up Kevin. You look a little clammy, you may want to get that checked out.

A benefit of a belt vs. a pack is the weight stays lower on your body and you can more easily maintain balance.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Nice write-up Kev. The ol warbelt, H-Harness and butt pack sure has come a long way. The LBV was hitting the fleet when I retired, I thought that was hitech. I still stay plugged in with what the boys are currently using, but it's hard to keep track. It's sad that it took a war to finally get hitech gear pushed down to the grunts who had been using Vietnam era gear since... Vietnam.

Good post CDE. Dead Eye, there is your answer. I don't know when you served, but I deployed to Afghanistan in DEC of 01 with a LBE, a piece of kit that was pre-Vietnam. That is criminal. We didn't have enough body armor to go around either. Thank God that we do now and if you re-read my post you will see the rationale for the battle belt on the military side. For civilians, I guess you can stuff all you need in your pockets? Do what works for you.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Thanks for all the positive replies Fellas.

SPOT,

I will put together some thoughts on wilderness/hunting gear and address some of your particular interests.

Warning: The gear won't be cheap. It seems all I ever see anymore is "cheap" this and that. WTF guys? I understand many are young and starting out; have tight finances; wives that don't appreciate this stuff; or all of the aforementioned. One question: Is your life cheap? That is where I come from. Life is too short and fragile for cheap guns and gear. Seriously, if there was ever something where quality over quantity applies, this is it.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Very good write up.

After taking a few classes some of the chest rigs that I've bough haven't worked out as well as I would like. The battle belt is my next thing to buy and try. I'll find the set up for me eventually.

Warning: The gear won't be cheap. It seems all I ever see anymore is "cheap" this and that. WTF guys? I understand many are young and starting out; have tight finances; wives that don't appreciate this stuff; or all of the aforementioned. One question: Is your life cheap? That is where I come from. Life is too short and fragile for cheap guns and gear. Seriously, if there was ever something where quality over quantity applies, this is it.

Very well put.

There are a lot of the 'just as good as' types out there. I've done that before and learned that it isn't as good, things are expensive for a reason. Quality cost money.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    This has been extremely helpful and unfortunately has opened up additional questions for me. Off to do some research, then I may be coming to you for some additional info

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    As usual your spot on recommendations found the ignorance that so pervades this board of late. ....

This has become an issue with many things on this site. I am still hopeful that it might stop.

Kev Great post. I thank you for sharing your experience iwth us.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom