• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    So the family is heading out to Western Maryland in a few weeks and will be staying at a friends "lodge" in Deep Creek. I have been through the area 100 times heading to our hunting grounds but never spent any time there. What is there to do out there that is family friendly? Cool stores we should check out? Good places to eat? Sights to be seen? I have a 2 year old who absolutely loves walking trails with my wife and I. Are there any trails out there that are suitable for smaller adventurers?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    New Germany state park has nice wide, well groomed trails. My kids and I even saw a bear there. As a bonus, it's right down the road from the gun range.....

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    swallow falls is beautiful this time of year. if you deviate from the trail it can be a goat path at times to get down to the rivers

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    So the family is heading out to Western Maryland in a few weeks and will be staying at a friends "lodge" in Deep Creek. I have been through the area 100 times heading to our hunting grounds but never spent any time there. What is there to do out there that is family friendly? Cool stores we should check out? Good places to eat? Sights to be seen? I have a 2 year old who absolutely loves walking trails with my wife and I. Are there any trails out there that are suitable for smaller adventurers?
    Family dining - Penn Alps Amish restaurant in Grantsville, right at Rt68 and next to Casselman River Bridge SP. It’s always crowded, you should like it. It’s also minutes from New Grermany SP and the gun range......

emkuba

May 24, 2013
    Recommend Swallow Falls: nice trails, good sights, well maintained. Mountain State Brewing Company is a must - some of the best pizza and beer I have ever had.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'll add my voice to Swallow Falls. Penn Alps is pretty typical family dining. My wife and I really like Cornucopia Cafe which is a little more upscale but on the same property and owned by the same people. They also have an artisan village there and you can walk across the old Casselman River bridge from there. We always stop on our way back to MD from WV and let our son (4) run around there to get some energy out.

If you don't mind a little bit of a drive, you can head south across the WV border to Thomas and Davis which are about 30 miles south. Both cool old coal towns. Thomas has exploded with the arts scene and there are some good restaurants. The purple fiddle is simple but very good, and Hellbender Burrito is always great. That puts you at the northern end of Canaan Valley which has tons of trails and is worth seeing in and of itself, especially Blackwater Falls at this time of year.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks guys. Ill be sure to check out all those places. Im not sure what Im looking forward to more, the food or the hikes! Does any one have experience with Harrington Manor State Park? I passed that on the way out to WV and was wondering if that has any nice trails for kids.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Yeah, I saw that on the website. Ive looked up alot of the parks but none of them seem to say the difficulty. I figured alot of members here have kids and could direct me to the more appropriate parks. My wife will be carrying our 2 month old and Ill be walking with(most likely carrying half way) our two year old.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Walmart in Oakland is always interesting, sorry to jest, good luck with your stay, heard the leaves are at mid color change.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    I second cornucopia cafe vs penn alps. And would say if you want a very nice dinner go to savage river lodge. It’s near new Germany and big run state parks. Off the beaten path for sure. But well worth it. Also I would recommend high country creamery while in Grantsville. If you are there during the week you can watch them make the cheese and their fried curds are glorious. Keep driving on 669 and head into pa about 3 miles and go to whispering pines. Very neat little Amish store and they have a Dutch cafe. If you like coffee go
    There in the morning and have a nice breakfast sandwich as well.

For the more refined connoisseur, in accident there is fire fly farms (goat cheese) on Saturday they have a wine and cheese tasting. Very cool. Cheeses are very good (but not cheap). If you are up oct 11-13 it’s autumn glory celebration in Oakland. Know. As one for the best fall festivals in the world.

Swallow falls is great and defiantly flowing fast with all the rain we’ve had. I would recommend stopping by Monroe run vista off new Germany rd (almost to the end near the 495 intersection). In 2 weeks should be a beautiful view.

In Oakland you have the Cornish cafe, that I highly recommend for their sandwiches. And for just pure great American food. The new sloppy dawgs coming into Oakland on the left, across from Denny’s. Try the carnivore dog and ranch tots. Yum. Hope this helps. Any questions just ask. Jeff. Garrett county born and raised. And still residing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Thanks guys. Ill be sure to check out all those places. Im not sure what Im looking forward to more, the food or the hikes! Does any one have experience with Harrington Manor State Park? I passed that on the way out to WV and was wondering if that has any nice trails for kids.

Herrington has great trails. They are fairly flat for Garrett county. Loop trails that are great for hiking, biking, and xc skiing. There is a 5.5 mile trail (one way ) from Herrington to Swallow Falls. The fall color will be great. These are trails through the forest, not rail trails so goid boots. Ps...look at my screen name ;-)

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Well, thanks again everyone for the info. My family went up to Deep Creek last week. We didn't get to do most the things we wanted to because of the weather and our 2y/o was recovering from a cold, but we still had a great time. Got to check out a few places in Oakland like the Railroad Museum and some antique stores. Hiked a little in Harrington State Park. Also had one of the best pizzas at Brenda's right on the lake. We are already planning another trip in late winter or early spring.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Don't forget to include a Sunday Hooligan shoot in your plans. We shot with them this past Sunday; total blast and great folks! We're going again in the spring as well.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Don't forget to include a Sunday Hooligan shoot in your plans. We shot with them this past Sunday; total blast and great folks! We're going again in the spring as well.

^^^

Glad you and the kids had a great time. We really enjoyed it too!

Looking forward to your next visit...

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom