• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I wish I knew more about the Fostech AK trigger. $550 is a lot to spend on a sight unseen trigger.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I just put an echo 2 put in my 9mm AR. I had to modify the carrier to get it to work, it was easy. Took it to the range yesterday tried it on semi then did double taps in echo. When that got boring I tried a 33 round mag dump, I emptied the mag in a couple seconds. When I turned around everyone in the place was looking at me and the RO had to come inspect my firearm. They thought I was shooting .223 and had a bump stock. I said nope 9mm and its a Fostech echo trigger. I packed up an left after that just in case, I don't like too much attention. Probably wouldn't have been so awkward if other people were shooting too. Anyway, now I think I need a couple more Echo 2s for my other rifles... $470 isn't cheap. Better start saving up. The trigger takes a little getting used to to get it to run fast, but accurate double taps were easy at 15yds and in 9mm is easy to control. When I did the mag dump all the rounds were on paper. Next I want to take it outside and shoot some steel. I think I converted my BIL he wants one too now.

What were your bolt modifications, specifically? I'm in the same boat. I have a Gen II that I want in install in a 9mm AR pistol. It's going to be a Colt-format gun, not sure who makes the bolt, but I've already ramped and polished it.

What else do I need to do to it to get it to run?

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    What were your bolt modifications, specifically? I'm in the same boat. I have a Gen II that I want in install in a 9mm AR pistol. It's going to be a Colt-format gun, not sure who makes the bolt, but I've already ramped and polished it.

I have a CMMG 9mm bolt that had to have the width of the center channel opened up so that the Echo hammer would fit. I used a dremmel with a cutting wheel. I started with the grinding stone bit and realized it would take forever. With the cutter, I had it opened up in about a half hour. I then used the grinding bit to clean up the cut and dull the sharp edges. It turned out ok, it’s not the prettiest thing but it runs like a champ.

Don’t assume you can get this done with a file and brute force.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    This is what it should look like after I milled it to work. The opening needs to be .54 wide and .1 deep ( .1875 deep from the highest point on the rear of the carrier) I hope this helps!

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    For some odd reason the picture didn't load. Let's try this again.

Attachments

• 20180225_110704-1.jpg
      20180225_110704-1.jpg
      23.5 KB · Views: 423

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

On my 9mm AR the hammer would ride in the channel but the trigger safety on the echo was too wide. I removed the roll pin took the weight out and opened up the channel using a dremel with a stone bit. Took about half an hour to get it opened and polished.

I'm not sure what the Colt pattern 9mm bolts look like. maxresdefault.jpg

This is not mine but it gives you an idea of what to do. Also measure the end of your bolt and compare it to a full auto bolt. In order for the echo to work the back of the bolt must contact the trigger safety in a tight range.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    On my 9mm AR the hammer would ride in the channel but the trigger safety on the echo was too wide. I removed the roll pin took the weight out and opened up the channel using a dremel with a stone bit. Took about half an hour to get it opened and polished.

I'm not sure what the Colt pattern 9mm bolts look like. View attachment 226824

This is not mine but it gives you an idea of what to do. Also measure the end of your bolt and compare it to a full auto bolt. In order for the echo to work the back of the bolt must contact the trigger safety in a tight range.

They look the same underneath.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I don't live in Maryland and because I don't go to many forums, (I like this one) I wanted to document this for anyone interested...

This is what I had to do to get the new Fostech Echo trigger to fit on my PAP M92. Hopefully this will save some folks a little trouble figuring out this install.

I had to modify the trigger guard as shown in the pictures because in "echo" mode, the trigger would not move far enough rearward to allow the trigger to function on the "fire on release" trigger action. The trigger was hitting the guard when pulled, so I had to round it out to allow clearance. The single pull, single fire mode worked fine with the trigger guard unmodified. The trigger moves farther aft in the echo mode.

The next thing that I had to do was to cut the old selector stop so the front of the new selector plate would fit.

The last thing that I had to do was drill a relief on the back side of the selector plate to allow room for one of the rivet heads. This would allow the new selector plate to set flush over the head of the existing rivet. It is the round partially drilled, unpainted spot on the right side of the plate in the picture.

After these mods, and a little head scratching from time to time. The trigger is testing fine. Let me know if anyone has any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them. Keep in mind that I am not an expert and have only installed this trigger on one gun.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20200425_022055.jpg
      20200425_022055.jpg
      95.4 KB · Views: 1,119
    • 20200425_005045.jpg
      20200425_005045.jpg
      53.8 KB · Views: 789
    • 20200425_022348.jpg
      20200425_022348.jpg
      35.5 KB · Views: 885

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    wow that's definitely more than drop in parts !!!

Yeah, it is an AK. LOL I don't think you will find two the same. Plus, the PAP M92 isn't technically on the list of compatible AKs. Still, not a terrible mod.

I really think the safety selector is horribly ugly. Maybe it will grow on me. I do like the fact that I can easily move the selector switch with my trigger finger.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I just realized this was a fostech setup. for some reason I thought this was the Franklin unit. how do you like it?

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I just realized this was a fostech setup. for some reason I thought this was the Franklin unit. how do you like it?

I have both Franklin and Fostech triggers for the AK (among others).

My favorite so far is the Fostech. The Fostech seems well made and well thought out. I had to modify the back of selector switch plate and the trigger guard as in the previous post, but this was minor. In Fostech's defense, my AK was not on the list of compatible guns.

Fostech uses the pins that go through from side to side (the pins that go through the holes that the pins that hold the trigger and hammer in place). I would think that this would ultimately make this trigger more likely to fit a wider range of gun models. It also has a trigger lock that will not let the hammer drop unless the bolt is fully locked closed. No hammer follow.

The down side for one is the obviously ugly safety switch and plate. The Fostech has a ball/spring and detent on the plate set up. Also, this may not matter to most shooters, but while looking into the trigger pack, it looks a lot closer to the internals of a clock than an AK. Most of the big bulky, separated parts that help the natural reliability of the AK design will be lost. After the mods that I had to make, without firing the gun a lot, about 50 rounds, everything has worked exactly as advertised.

I have not installed the Franklin but I can talk to my first impressions. The trigger is held in with the grip screw and "shimmed" with a set screw the presses against the bottom of the inside of the receiver. The Franklin trigger will not fit any rifle that I own. This trigger requires the bottom of the receiver to be completely flat. Rivets, blocks or anything that sticks up on the floor of the receiver will not allow the install of this trigger. I wanted to wait on heavily modifying either my rifle or trigger group until I had both triggers to compare them. If you have an under folding stock, or if you have the rear trunion that would support an under folding stock, the internal structure will be in the way to install the Franklin trigger. The through pins are not even used. The holes in the receiver are filled with "plugs" that you glue in place. No trigger lock so the hammer can drop without the bolt being fully closed. Hammer follow is possible.

The advantages that Franklin has is that all the parts are still big and separated. It may work better despite getting a little dirt in it. The other nice thing is the selector switch has an internal detent. It is not dependent on a huge, ugly selector switch plate like the Fostech does. I could see having someone in the after market business design a proper selector switch.

Just some quick observations. If you have any questions, please ask.

Last edited:

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Here are some pictures for reference. The all black uninstalled trigger is the Franklin Armory, and the the trigger with the gold finish is the Fostech.

Attachments

• 20191002_094245.1.2.jpg
      20191002_094245.1.2.jpg
      44.1 KB · Views: 624
    • 20191008_204319.jpg
      20191008_204319.jpg
      53.2 KB · Views: 640
    • 20200504_122818.jpg
      20200504_122818.jpg
      64 KB · Views: 572
    • 20200504_122624.jpg
      20200504_122624.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 610

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    some interesting setups !!the franklin looks all aluminum. the fostech looks cast . time will tell which 1 will hold up the best. thanks for sharing your photos !!

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    some interesting setups !!the franklin looks all aluminum. the fostech looks cast . time will tell which 1 will hold up the best. thanks for sharing your photos !!

I am pretty sure the Franklin is all steel except the selector switch lever but I will put a magnetic on it when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom