• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I've looked at 7.62x54r.net. Although the site provides a lot of specifics about ammo, it doesn't explain what the tuna can markings mean.

Can anyone decipher this for me?

Attachments

• 20210225_142330.jpg
      20210225_142330.jpg
      112 KB · Views: 299

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Crap, wait. I think I got it!- 188 means made at the Novosibirsk munitions plant. APS (looks like "ANC") means 147 grain steel core bullet.
    Edit: I think it was made in November 31st, 1973.

So the ammo is still younger than I am!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    All I know is the 440wt is the cartridge count

Ш is pronounced as “sh.” That’s an abbreviation for “shtuck”

Crap, wait. I think I got it!- 188 means made at the Novosibirsk munitions plant. APS (looks like "ANC") means 147 grain steel core bullet.

Л an L, not A

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Oh my goodness...the first can I bought is some ancient stuff:

WWII type packaging
    1948 Frunze/#60 Type L light ball on stripper clips in 15 round boxes. 20 boxes/60 clips/300 rounds per tin, 2 tins per wooden crate. Galvanized tin soldered closed with pull tab.

I have no reason to believe that it won't shoot fine. The tin is still sealed as far as I can tell.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

I have no reason to believe that it won't shoot fine. The tin is still sealed as far as I can tell.

Those clips are worth $2-3 each now. I used to buy that ammo at $150 shipped a crate and then immediately pull the 120 clips off and sell them for $120.

Unfortunately, the ammo itself shot like trash. Out of the 2k or so rounds of 1946-1948 production stuff I burned through, it would group like 8” at 100yd through rifles that would do 3” or better with the good surplus. I don’t recall ever having a dud, but there were a few cases split at the neck (not dangerous). A few of the cans had compromised seals with the ammo slightly tarnished, but no issues firing.

I did break down a few hundred rounds to use the powder to reload .30/06 for M1 Garands. It was quite dirty and had lots of flash. I was using trash projectiles, so can’t really speak to the accuracy and consistency. After that, I sold off the remaining few thousand rounds

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    The friggin' stripper clips are actually worth something to people?!? Huh. I have new ones and sure, they seem a bit flimsy but what's the allure of WWII era stripper clips?

I'm going to shoot modern, non-corrosive rounds to get the rifle sighted in. Then I'll try this old stuff just to see how it performs.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The friggin' stripper clips are actually worth something to people?!? Huh. I have new ones and sure, they seem a bit flimsy but what's the allure of WWII era stripper clips?

I'm going to shoot modern, non-corrosive rounds to get the rifle sighted in. Then I'll try this old stuff just to see how it performs.

The old military clips actually worth smoothly, unlike the repros.

I have a batch of 60s blued Soviet and Bulgarian clips that I used for my Mosins back when I shot them. They’re well broken in and I can thumb the rounds in with one smooth motion rather than having to lift the top round and lever them in like with the repro clips.

Another key is to have a functioning interrupter on the rifle. If the interrupter works, it’s physically impossible to jam the rifle by rim lock.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

I was born before '73, so I'm ancient :)

I've also shot plenty of early 70's Bulgarian and Russian Ammo. Corrosive but shoots better than PPU ammo when sealed up like that.

I used to have a spray bottle of amonia/water mix in my range bag to spray down the bore then swab out before leaving.

I'll take it your learning the term when cleaning your bore : "There is clean, then there is Mosin Clean"

Peeing down the barrel at the range for some reason was discouraged.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I was born before '73, so I'm ancient :)

I've also shot plenty of early 70's Bulgarian and Russian Ammo. Corrosive but shoots better than PPU ammo when sealed up like that.

I used to have a spray bottle of amonia/water mix in my range bag to spray down the bore then swab out before leaving.

I'll take it your learning the term when cleaning your bore : "There is clean, then there is Mosin Clean"

Peeing down the barrel at the range for some reason was discouraged.

:lol:

But accepted battlefield practice by the comrades

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

The picture posted earlier probably has all the info you need, but if you care to know what the letters are I posted something about that a few years ago:

ЛПС (LPS) means light bullet, steel core
    (ЛПС = легкая пуля со стальным сердечником)

гж (g zh) means gilded case (copper washed steel I think... some sources identify it as гильза железная or 'iron case' but this and гб are both used for what is called 'bimetallic' case)
    гл (gl) would be brass case (гильза латунная)
    гс (gs) would be steel case (гильза стальная)

'Л97' is a lot number
    '77' is the year of production
    '188' is the factory (Russian)

вт is powder type
    102 is powder lot number
    77 is powder year of manufacture

шт (sh t) is abbreviation for 'штук' (shtuk), or 'items' (440 count)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom