• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hello just curious out of the Lee Enfield line of rifles which one do you prefer? and why if you know.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    No1 MK III, accuracy, dependability, simplicity with unparalleled degree of engineering maybe more so than any other modern firearms system developed.
    I like no4's too and own /shoot a bunch of them.
    Plus they are typical British overdone with weird operating systems that are fun to work on. No wasted movement(s) and the first one always has the second part of function started before the first is complete.
    IMG_1078.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Do I have to choose just one? ;)
    -If I have to I'd probably pick my CLLE. Last of the Long Lees and lots of WWI history. These were still on the front lines in all theaters early in the war. From Palestine (where mine served) to Gallipoli and Belgium. A bridge between the Metford and the new SMLE.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    In the same boat as Mawkie in the "why choose just one?" mind frame.

I'd like to have one of each design in my collection at some point. To me, the No4 Mk1 is very interesting due to the differences based on manufacture. You have two-groove Lend-Lease rifles made by Savage with their "US Property" marks, and then you have the more refined versions made at the British arsenals and endless debate as to whether one is actually more accurate than the other. Add in the internationality of manufacture (USA, Canada, UK, Australia) and just that one series of rifles has enough variation to keep a modest collector busy for some time.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a no4mk2 unissued Fazerly I love, being it was basically new when I bought it, but the no5 jungle carbine is my favorite.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    As others have said, I prefer them all. From the early 20th century made ones up through the progression to the #4 Mark I and II and to the 7.62 nato Ishapore ones made in the late 1960's. What's not to like?

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Aesthetically: No. 1 rifles.

For shooting: No. 4 rifles. The sights are excellent and the weight is enough that it doesn't beat you up at the range. Arguably the all-around best bolt action battle rifle of WW2 (or history??).

Cool factor: No. 5 rifle.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I just restocked-refit these two rifles over the course of the past two 1/2 weeks.
    Dark colored stock is actually a mk 2 with the sear lugs oak patched and draws built up with mk 1 tie plate added in faux style. Its a Faz mkI that was ftr'd in 1948. This one responded well to the treatment and has 8lbs pressure at the muzzle bearing. Barrel is clear from hand-guards and snaps back to center but a little light at the knox form, hopefully it will settle in without any patching below the reinforce.
    Maybe I can get to the range to tomorrow to see what it will do, I haven't shot it yet.
    Top is a 43 LB * with virgin timber beech fore-stock surplus guards and LB normal length butt stock. Test target is first time out two chargers rapid fire from prone on Sr 1 The X ring is about 1.3" It didnt blow up in my face so that's a good thing. (I didnt do any barrel work on either rifle here) just bolt FCG and bedding.
    First shot is top left, I took too much off the top trigger rib when fitting and couldn't call it if I tried. In fact I thought it was a clean miss but kept on with it fudd style like we do round here.
    I have one no 4 action (Sav) left and one LB twin groove barrel that needs built into a rifle and have everything I think except a fore stock.

If anyone has any thing laying around let me know Ill buy it.
    Someone who is a good shot could certainly do better with both of these rifles I just like fiddling with them anymore.
    I may never shoot it again for all I know.

I prefer shooting the MK1 rifles because they are generally a little better finely crafted but they have that big lug on the bolt head that makes them a little harder to manage for lateral dispersion-#4 has not as much sprung weight backing up the cartridge head and tend to be easier to manage in that respect.

Again a better shooter would notice after running one for a while or especially during zero-constructive sighting.
    No 4 makes a good crutch and you don't have to worry about damaging it too much when getting up off the ground too.
    They all used to be cheap to obtain &feed, but not any longer it seems anymore.:sad20:

IMG_2252[7032].jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

LBMVT.jpg

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I agree that the No.4's are probably superior (sights, heavier barrel I believe, more "meat" in the receiver). If I had to take a bolt action rifle into battle, that would probably be my choice.

However :tap: for just being "neat," the No.1's win hands down for me. The battering ram nose cap just looks tough (like a bulldog with an underbite), and you can't beat the history. An old one could have served in two world wars, and travelled the globe keeping "peace" (through Rule 303) in the empire between them. I think I have a healthy yank's disdain for the British Empire :patriot:, but I do respect the fact that the No.1 was essentially the Brown Bess of the early 20th century.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hello just curious out of the Lee Enfield line of rifles which one do you prefer? and why if you know.

I am partial to the History of No 1 MK III* as it covers WW 1 & 2 and Korea.

Last edited:

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I own a long branch No4Mk1 that is suspiciously accurate. Wood is a little beat up but the bore is pristine. Someday I will get a No1mk3, hopefully this spring/summer when gun shows get cooking again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom