Old February 27th, 2021, 08:49 AM #111
American Patriot

American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
I have a large mental database of accuracy testing DA Revolvers , up to and including very high round counts that would make an armorer blanche .

Cutting to the chase , the all inclusive global accuracy median for S&W's is aprox 1.5 inch @ 25yds , with most falling within 1.25 to 1.75 ( with ammunition of known accuracy ) .

A S&W that did 2.5 to 3.0 inches ( with ammunition of known accuracy ) would have some blatant defect(s) , ie buggered crown or disgusting forcing cone .

FWIW - Simply being very worn with lots of play and slow timing , but absent crown damage , will still do sub 2.0 in .( As long as you cycle with enough vigor to lock up with inertia .)

[ Being more of a mere mortal than John from Md , I made my catagory cut off at 1.0in and under . The difference between any given group between one hole and 3/4 in c to c is as likely to be Me as the gun & ammo . ]

What's Ammunition of Known Accuracy ?

Back when I was loading a bunch of it , I knew the expectations of 158 commercial cast, 3.2gr 231 , and CCI Std primer . ( 1.0in or less in gun of consummate accuracy potential .)

For factory loads , or loads new to you , is two step process . First use a gun of known accuracy capability to test the ammo . Then test that ammo in gun being tested and compare .

Starting from scratch with unknown gun and random ammo ( aka double variable equation ) is random crap shooting .

Thank you for recognizing my place in life.

Your system is sound and gives a good starting point otherwise, as you say, it's a crap shoot which no one can afford today.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2021, 09:18 AM #112

Working on Pistol Load Accuracy

Bigfoot ,that is sound advice and Iíve done that with an AR and Bolt guns using Federal Gold Metal Match but I have 2 problems of ammo availability (can you link me to buy a box of ammo of known accuracy that is actually in stock)? Plus I donít have another revolver to test.

If making a known good load can be done with purchased Bullets Iíd need to know who has that and the recommended OAL with the 3.2gr w231 which I have.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Melnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2021, 08:31 PM #113

Whatever the COL comes out when crimped in the crimp groove .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading