• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I turned my DC application in 86 days ago.

As a DC CCL Instructor, I am unable to teach unless I get a permit to carry (transport) a registered firearm into DC.

From anecdotal evidence, I believe our public servants sit on the application requesting permission to exercise our rights until the last possible day.

I'll update if or when I hear anything.
    That sucks but not surprising. Send me a PM when you get it. I would like to sign my wife and I up for a private class if possible.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Results just in and it's a big win for our team. Preliminary Injunction Attached.

Judge Scullen essentially said that the District could not connect their interest in public safety with laws preventing lawful people from carrying in public. Likewise, the District could not demonstrate that a good cause requirement could even plausibly protect people who had not yet faced a violent crime.

Keep in mind DC copied Maryland law when crafting their rules.

Orders:

WOW!

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I turned my DC application in 86 days ago.

As a DC CCL Instructor, I am unable to teach unless I get a permit to carry (transport) a registered firearm into DC.

From anecdotal evidence, I believe our public servants sit on the application requesting permission to exercise our rights until the last possible day.

I'll update if or when I hear anything.
    If this sticks, I would like to be first in line for your course. Does the fact that I am a MD instructor and NRA instructor count for anything in DC for purposes of their training requirement? I also have NRA Basic Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH and Defensive Pistol. A lot more than the 16 hours of training and 2 hours of range time required by 24 DC ADC 2336

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Thank you Patrick and MSI

I had nothing to do with this, other being the first to post the news as I read it. MSI deserves a lot of thanks for a lot of reasons, but this case is one where I think everyone this side of the line basically rooted for the win, like everyone else.

As for the effect, as of now DC is shall-issue. I think we know how this plays out, and that nothing is etched in stone. Yet.

However, a Preliminary Injunction is a pretty interesting twist. It would not have happened without the prior ruling (Palmer, et al) and DC's rather intransigent actions post-decision.

DC kinda screwed themselves up a little here. They never asked for a stay on Palmer, and a lot of watchers suspect they avoided that fight because a complete ban was something I think they knew they could not defend. They were being set up for another Heller take-down. Good and substantial has a better chance of surviving in the DC Circuit.

It's pretty obvious that people outside DC city office had significant influence on DC's moves. The council was following orders. I say politics has a potential to intersect on this one, again. DC's natural inclination would be to ask for a stay from the Circuit (which they would receive, no doubt). However...this will poke a serious stick in the face of a Congress already making noise about gun laws in DC. I don't think the GOP leadership wants to play this one too hard, but given the environment in their caucus - a willingness to buck leadership - DC is possibly going to face some challenges.

That said, I think the money is on the Congress waiting this one out. I think too many people want this one pushed to SCOTUS. Mooting the legal case with law would effectively strip one of the last real chances we have to get this into the court.

I say: Two Years.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    That sucks but not surprising. Send me a PM when you get it. I would like to sign my wife and I up for a private class if possible.

Oh, I can teach outside of DC, but I can't bring a registered pistol, revolver or ammunition into DC to teach the 16 hour CCW DC requires at your house/business/meeting room - without a DC Permit.

In fact, now that I think about, you might not even be able to hold it.

I may hold a DC CCL Initial 16 hour course on June 13/14 in Frederick, MD for about $300.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Scullin also denied the PI in Palmer, as mentioned above, so it's essentially dead.

Attachments

• 92 - Order on Permanent Injunction.pdf
      112.4 KB · Views: 315

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Scullin also denied the PI in Palmer, as mentioned above, so it's essentially dead.
    I missed that one, also issued today.

Gura swapped Palmer for Wrenn. No arguments over scope of Palmer. Done and done.

I know you all have a hard time believing me when I say this, but that kid Gura is smart. He might just have a future doing this kinda stuff. :)

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Does the fact that I am a MD instructor and NRA instructor count for anything in DC for purposes of their training requirement? I also have NRA Basic Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH and Defensive Pistol. A lot more than the 16 hours of training and 2 hours of range time required by 24 DC ADC 2336

You're not alone.

We still have to take the mandatory classroom course on D.C. law. Not sure how much of the 16 hours that is, but there's no waiver for that part of the training.

-Rob

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    That was in Palmer, where the court declined to find DC in contempt. Palmer is dead. And we don't need it anymore with this decision

Yup.

The nice thing about Palmer is that it is settled law in DC, and resulted in this PI for Wrenn. So while the case is dead, the law lives on...

Loving that twist. DC might regret that move.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Doing a cruise of local and national media, it appears nobody has caught this story yet. It's all over the blog and forum-sphere.

MDS trumps them all, again.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    You're not alone.

We still have to take the mandatory classroom course on D.C. law. Not sure how much of the 16 hours that is, but there's no waiver for that part of the training.

-Rob

It's 2 hours and I will teach it to you free if you come to me.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Oh, I can teach outside of DC, but I can't bring a registered pistol, revolver or ammunition into DC to teach the 16 hour CCW DC requires at your house/business/meeting room - without a DC Permit.

In fact, now that I think about, you might not even be able to hold it.

I may hold a DC CCL Initial 16 hour course on June 13/14 in Frederick, MD for about $300.
    I am in MD. How much for a private DC CCW class for two persons. We can come to you.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    You're not alone.

-Rob

Hell, I could probably teach it. But I take your point and would be happy to sit in the back row and lob stuff at the instructor :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom