• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    You left out my personal favorite, the Blur.

Is that Kershaw Damascus real, or just printed on the blade?

I'll probably get a Blur one day if I find one for the right price. I also wouldn't mind getting a Skyline. That's real damascus on the Scallions, I ordered them from Smokey Mountain Knife Works about a year ago and was told they didn't make a lot of them.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    I'll probably get a Blur one day if I find one for the right price. I also wouldn't mind getting a Skyline. That's real damascus on the Scallions, I ordered them from Smokey Mountain Knife Works about a year ago and was told they didn't make a lot of them.

The Blur cost me $50.57 shipped from Amazon. It's the fastest spring opening knife I own. It's even faster than the Benchmade Auto.

They make a more expensive version with better steel for about 90 bucks, but I'm not a steel snob. So this was fine by me.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I carry a Zero Tolerance 0302 and/or a 0350st depending if I'm working or off. (the 0350st is smaller)

BIG knives, but great quality, and s30v steel is about as good as it gets.

Only thing is I don't carry a Tanto blade, so I'm thinking of picking up a Strider SNG or SMF.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    hey what's the deal with the zip tie at the opening lever? Is that just for better traction?

sorry have only glanced at this thread, but have seen it on many a knife with no explanation.

What's your opinion, worth it?

Last edited:

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    hey what's the deal with the zip tie at the opening lever? Is that just for better traction?

sorry have only glanced at this thread, but have seen it on many a knife with no explanation.

What's your opinion, worth it?

The zip tie is so the blade can catch the edge of your pocket as you pull the knife out allowing you to open the knife faster than a switchblade can be opened(and perfectly legal).
    Here's a demonstration of how it works, using a Spyderco WAVE blade.
    With practice the zip tie should be able to give you similar results:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have a SOG Flash II. It's awesome

I carry one as well, but removed the safety as it kept getting activated in my pocket. Has never opened on me in my pocket or anything and I've been carrying it daily for about 7 months.

Holds an edge well, I use it mostly for cutting tape and cutting large cleaning patches into smaller parts. Haven't had to re-sharpen it yet!

May 25, 2009
    I lost my leek. I owned it for a little under a year. The spring in it was long worn out, but it could be easily opened like a normal folder. I used it 40 hours a week at work opening boxes and cutting cardboard. It was still sharp when I lost it. Never even touched the edge up. Fantastic knife. Currently EDC a Kershaw Packrat which I love. Very comfortable to use, if a bit fugly. I also carry a SOG Spec Elite I. It's my defensive blade so it still has the factory edge on it, but it's smooth as butter and the locking mechanism(AXIS? Idunno what SOG calls it) is nice.

I also just got the Cold Steel Rajah I. It's not made in the US, but it's just so beautiful. It's as long as my forearm when it's open, and it actually carries ok.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    I lost my leek. I owned it for a little under a year. The spring in it was long worn out, but it could be easily opened like a normal folder. I used it 40 hours a week at work opening boxes and cutting cardboard. It was still sharp when I lost it. Never even touched the edge up. Fantastic knife. Currently EDC a Kershaw Packrat which I love. Very comfortable to use, if a bit fugly. I also carry a SOG Spec Elite I. It's my defensive blade so it still has the factory edge on it, but it's smooth as butter and the locking mechanism(AXIS? Idunno what SOG calls it) is nice.

I also just got the Cold Steel Rajah I. It's not made in the US, but it's just so beautiful. It's as long as my forearm when it's open, and it actually carries ok.

If you go to the Kershaw website, there is a form that you can request a free torsion bar. The bar on my Whirlwind broke after 7 years and they sent me a new one in a week, no charge.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I own a few Kershaw among others....here is a good portion:

9020_1246118991221_1176794384_30777730_7644698_n.jpg

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Just got the Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara for $23 shipped at Amazon. I bought it because I wanted a non-waved version of the Endura, without the $70 price tag. So far, it's vitually identical the to the Endura with minor cosmetic differences. Highly recommended.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Just got the Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara for $23 shipped at Amazon. I bought it because I wanted a non-waved version of the Endura, without the $70 price tag. So far, it's vitually identical the to the Endura with minor cosmetic differences. Highly recommended.

but the endura has a VG-10 blade right?

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    but the endura has a VG-10 blade right?

Yeah, the Cara Cara has 8cr13mov, which is similar to AUS-8. It's a slightly softer steel compared to the premium VG-10.

However, from an every day practical standpoint, I really am not noticing a significant difference in the quality of the steel.

My Tenacious also has 8cr13mov and it's held up just fine. I've EDC'd it for about 8 weeks and have yet to sharpen it. It still cuts paper as it did on the day I took it out of the box.

johnny.

n00bie
    May 10, 2010
    Central MD
    How can you tell which Kershaw pieces are made in the USA and not their Japanese or Chinese factories? Is there a way to tell i.e. a marking of some sort?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a Gerber Evo Tanto I picked up after losing yet another Leek. It doesn't say where it's made on the blade, and the Walmart site doesn't specify, either.

Jim

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I have a Gerber Evo Tanto I picked up after losing yet another Leek. It doesn't say where it's made on the blade, and the Walmart site doesn't specify, either.

Jim

That pretty much rules out a few countries.

Gerber has most of their knives made in overseas factories, they are not the great Gerber that once was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom