• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    Does anyone know if a +P barrel is available for the standard (non +P) S&W M&P 9mm?

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    Does anyone know if a +P barrel is available for the standard (non +P) S&W M&P 9mm?

The M&P should be able to handle +P ammunition just fine without any modifications. The same could be said of most other modern polymer pistols - Glocks, XD, P10C, etc. If you only use +P ammunition and run thousands of rounds through it a year, you might see some accelerated wear from the increased pressure, but occasional use should not cause any issues.

In fact, I wasn't even aware there was a "standard" and a "+P" version of the M&P and couldn't find anything in a Google search.

What's your source for there being 2 different versions of the M&P?

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    The M&P should be able to handle +P ammunition without problems without any modifications. I wasn't even aware there was a "standard" and a "+P" version and couldn't find anything in a Google search.

Someone gave me a box of Speer Gold Dots today and I didn't notice till later that they were +P. I've been very careful in the past not to use +P or +P+ rounds in any firearm that doesn't specify the higher pressure capability, so I was curious if I needed to replace the barrel with one that had a chamber that would handle the higher pressure.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    The M&P should be able to handle +P ammunition just fine without any modifications. The same could be said of most other modern polymer pistols - Glocks, XD, P10C, etc. If you only use +P ammunition and run thousands of rounds through it a year, you might see some accelerated wear from the increased pressure, but occasional use should not cause any issues.

In fact, I wasn't even aware there was a "standard" and a "+P" version of the M&P and couldn't find anything in a Google search.

Here is what my M&P owners manual says:

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more frequent service.

• “Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith & Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated and could be DANGEROUS.

Sounds like +P is good, but your barrel will wear out faster, and absolutely no +P+ ammo ever.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    Here is what my M&P owners manual says:

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more frequent service.

• “Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith & Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated and could be DANGEROUS.

Sounds like +P is good, but your barrel will wear out faster, and absolutely no +P+ ammo ever.

Thanks. That's helpful and reassuring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom