• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponch

Feb 7, 2018
    Odenton
    What gun vises do you guys use? I am debating an up grade.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    What gun vises do you guys use? I am debating an up grade.

I have the Tipton best gun vise. It is ok. The AR Mag well adapter makes cleaning AR stuff easier. Holds rifles pretty secure for cleaning and scope mounting type work. Mine is bolted to my bench. If you do not bolt it down it will move around.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    I have the Tipton best gun vise. It is ok. The AR Mag well adapter makes cleaning AR stuff easier. Holds rifles pretty secure for cleaning and scope mounting type work. Mine is bolted to my bench. If you do not bolt it down it will move around.

Same here. Holds the rifle well, but needs to be clamped down. Easy to use.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Black & Decker Workmate for most general stuff is really handy. I do have several heavy work benches with vices for different purposes, drill press with milling vice and some other stuff. The workmate sees the most use though.

Last edited:

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Really depends on what you're doing and what you are doing it to.

For simple work I have a rubberized Y shaped shovel holder screwed into a 12" long 2 x 4.

For more complex work I have a Chinese knock off or a Kurt machinist vise in my CNC mill.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have a regular vice on a bench with aluminum barrel blocks, magwell block, receiver clamp and a home built block for pistols. I then have the Tipton Ultra Gun Vice for working on complete firearms.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    A 5 inch bench vice for general drilling, tapping, hammering, and stuff.
    A vice on the drill press.
    A Work Mate that is nice because I can take it outside in nice weather. Very versatile for general house repair as well as guns.
    A Tipton for cleaning and putting on scopes, easy stuff.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I just recently bought a yost vise. My biggest requirement was that it be American made. Otherwise, I wanted one in the 6" +/- range. I found yost had a 6.5" for a decent price on Amazon a few months ago. I wasn't ready to buy just yet but when I checked it a few weeks later, it was out of stock. After doing some research, the 6.5" vise is no longer being made here. Long story short, I ended up buying the 8" model 880-DI. Haven't had a chance to use it yet as my bench isn't quite finished being built. But it seems solid, has reversible jaws, two anvil surfaces, and a rotating base. I'm looking forward to breaking it in soon.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Amazon has several different Yost vises on "Today's Deal" sale. Thoughts?

Also, when buying anything from Amazon, please always support the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF). Use Amazon "Smile" through the SAF link, and bookmark it! It doesn't cost you anything!

https://www.saf.org/

High Q

Jan 16, 2009
    I believe the Tipton Ultra Gun Vise is currently the best available. I just upgraded to it and love it.
    It is infinitely adjustable and holds any gun securely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom