• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I bought the barrel press kit from AK-Builder and the small plate for holding the front trunnion doesn't work for my parts kit. I have a Romanian kit and the whole trunnion-sight-barrel assembly starts to tilt and go out of alignment while I try to press out the barrel pin. The plate from AK-Builder is useless, so I was wondering if someone has pressed out their barrel pins using something other than the Ak-builder plate. What did you use to support the front trunnion while pressing out the pin? Did you spray anything onto the pin to try to help loosen it before pressing? My pin doesn't want to budge.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I used an a frame hydraulic press from harbor freight and an appropriate grade 8 bolt. I used the steel plates that came with the press and wood shims to keep the barrel assembly level. It will take some force till the pin pops.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    A couple nuts to take up the space

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    A couple nuts to take up the space

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

And or SHIM it. And dont't be afraid to wack the f..k out of it with big hammer and the correct punch once you get it shimmed. A second pair of hands doesn't hurt. EYE PROTECTION

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I used an a frame hydraulic press from harbor freight and an appropriate grade 8 bolt. I used the steel plates that came with the press and wood shims to keep the barrel assembly level. It will take some force till the pin pops.

An "it" will POP!

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I'll try the nuts and shim method. The plate sold by AK-Builder is useless but it looks nice. Maybe it's for some other type of trunnion, but certainly not for the Romanian G model. Does anyone know where near the capital area I can buy a tool steel plate 1/2" thick? I'm using a Harbor Freight press and the big plates that came with the press have pretty large openings.
    thanks everyone.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I tried shimming it with some wood and using nuts, but the pin on my trunnion isn't budging. There's a circular mark on the barrel pin where the press pressed down on it. Has anyone else had so much trouble with a Romanian G trunnion? I anyone is near the capitol region and willing to help remove a barrel pin, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm going to use u-drive screws and avoid removing the barrel from the trunnion.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As others have said, sometimes it takes a surprising lot of pressure. And when it pops, it will POP.

I've found it can help to tap on the press to provide some vibration to get things moving, while under pressure. Spraying it with penetrating fluid can't hurt but I doubt it makes much of a difference.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Bleed the air out of the jack on your press. If it doesn't get extremely hard to pump the Jack handle as the pressure builds, you are just compressing air in the hydraulic cylinder.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I bled out the air out of the jack when I started the job of removing the barrel pin from the front trunnion.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Well, since you can't bust the nut. Use PB blaster an a little heat. The pin will pop! Shim it with some nickels an it will work.

Post some pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom