• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I have a new Foxtrot Mike AR 9 build that I shot today. I am seeing about 10% punctured primers (10 out of 100). You can see in the pic below 4 punctured primers. I don't know if its a bad firing pin, or a damaged firing pin.

It ran very well, with the exception of a failure to feed a single hollow point (about 25 hollow points in the batch). Otherwise, I was seeing rounds ejecting a about 4 O'clock and the last round bolt hold open worked every time.

I looked at the firing pin and it feels like it has a rough spot. I looked at it through a magnifying glass and it looks like there is a slice across near the tip; it's hard to describe.

So I don't know if I got a bad firing pin, or if a good firing pin was damaged. It seemed to puncture primers immediately as if the firing already had issues. I did not think until after the fact to check the firing pin.

Note there were three different lots of ammo; 50 rounds of Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ; and then some hollow point and hand loads I did 30 plus years ago with Geco brass. The later two fewer punctures, but still had some.

So just the firing pin or something more?

I am running a 308 spring and 6.5 ounce 9mm buffer (long buffer).

Attachments

• IMG_0473.jpg
      IMG_0473.jpg
      136.1 KB · Views: 834
    • IMG_0474.jpg
      IMG_0474.jpg
      116.7 KB · Views: 846

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Those primers are getting whacked with some force. That said, check your firing pin protrusion. There is a gauge for that (reference: SOTAR).

If you file down the firing pin, it will be full-auto.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Maybe it's protruding so much that it is striking the primer pocket, and that's where that slice came from?? I am grabbing at straws here. I need to buy/borrow a gauge and then go from there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Maybe it's protruding so much that it is striking the primer pocket, and that's where that slice came from?? I am grabbing at straws here. I need to buy/borrow a gauge and then go from there.

Have you measured the protrusion yet? You don't need a gauge, just a caliper.

There aren't any standardized specs that I've been able to find, but average on my two AR9s is .036

I checked that with the sotar guy and he said that was GTG.

For Shiites and giggles, I measured one of my glock(small g) slides and it had a .061 protrusion. I have not had a chance to look at the brass from that gun. It's only had a mag run through it.

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Have you measured the protrusion yet? You don't need a gauge, just a caliper.

Although I do have electronic calipers that zero out, I had a tough time holding the bolt down so the firing pin could hang down all the way. I came up with 0.031 but I could be off.

If you just eyeball it, it sure does seem to stick way out. Guess I should pull one of my 5.56 AR's and see how they compare.

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpg
      IMG_0487.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 317
    Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Although I do have electronic calipers that zero out, I had a tough time holding the bolt down so the firing pin could hang down all the way. I came up with 0.031 but I could be off.

If you just eyeball it, it sure does seem to stick way out. Guess I should pull one of my 5.56 AR's and see how they compare.

Punctured primers are almost always an indicator your firing pin protrudes too much. Could be the pin itself, in which case a new pin will fix it. Could be your bolt, in which case a Dremel to the pin can fix it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Using the second method suggested in the SOTAR video, I get a reading of between 0.035 and 0.036 taking several measurements.

Just checked my SBR9 .036

And next, my pistol .036

Moral of the story; never measure firing pin protrusion on your birthday. :innocent0

*changed post#10*

Attachments

• 20200509_124305.jpg
      20200509_124305.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 327

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads