Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing

Notices

Old January 11th, 2018, 09:49 PM #1

Thumbs up Polymer80 PF940v2 Review

I did a PF940v1.5 a while back and found it to be an easy build to do, but the grip needed some modification for my hand. When I saw the latest version, I put it on the build list.
Well, today I pulled out my drill and Dremel tool and within 15 minutes I was working it with the files. I took my time with this step and the fine sanding but from start to finish was less than an hour on the frame.
I was expecting the frame parts kit in the mail a few days ago but the USPS has lost the package and since I really wanted to finish this frame today, I stripped the other v1.5 frame for what I needed.
I will say that everything went together very nicely and there is a noticeable difference in the function of the mag release. It is much smoother than the earlier version and the magazine seems to be easier to change. I am not sure if that is because the bottom of the magazine well is more compact or if there is a difference in some dimensions inside.
The Polymer80 that I got this time had the textured frame, too. I have not yet had it to the range, but I am looking forward to it. This frame fits my hand much better than the last version and should be more comfortable to shoot.
In closing, if you looked at the older Polymer80s and were not a fan, check out the latest versions. One thing that they have done is listen to customer feedback and incorporated it into improving the product. I would recommend these new frames to anyone with basic mechanical ability. If you watch, you can find them on sale lately for around $120 shipped.
Since my v1.5 frame is now stripped, I am going to cut the mag well down closer to the new frame's size. It will take a couple of weeks for my parts kit to be resent(doing a search yada yada), so I will have time to try to make it look like it was not done by a shaky handed old fart!
GuitarmanNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 05:53 PM #2
What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

Does this one have metal rails?

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 05:55 PM #3

The new ones have metal rails.
Old January 13th, 2018, 08:30 PM #4
fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

where did you get your glock parts kit to finish the build?

2nd Amendment

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

---------------------
Disclaimer
My comments posted on MDshooters in no way are intended to offend members, staff and owners of this web site. If they should in any way, i apologize in advance.

----------------------
Yippee-Ki-Yay, Mother******!
lee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 09:39 PM #5

I am just finishing my Polymer 80 G19 build and it was extremely easy. Got this custom Slide Completion kit from 80percentglock.com for $394. Very fast shipping and when I thought they sent the wrong slide they offered to pay for return shipping and credit me $30 for my trouble. I was wrong, they weren't, but i was impressed with their customer service.

1 × G19 Customized Complete Upper Kit --10% Off Package--
Slide Type: OD Green Cerakoted Slide For Glock 9mm Gen1-3 G19 416 Stainless Steel
Barrel Type: G19 Ported Match 9mm Barrel Black Nitride Coated
Upper parts kit
Includes Sites
G19 Guide Rod

Midway had the 80% lower on sale for $113 and the lower completion kit was $59.
Proud Patriot Guard Rider
Charter Member, JPFO
Occasional Asshole
Docster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:22 AM #6

Midway puts the parts for Glock builds on sale almost every month.

I recommend using the Glock OEM parts kits if you want you build to be 100% reliable in a fight.

I installed a Wolff competition spring kit in my first build and had problems with FTF almost immediately for light primer strikes. Put the OEM springs in and haven't had a single problem since. Glocks are not supposed to be target pistols!
Old January 15th, 2018, 12:16 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
Does this one have metal rails?
Yes, but the issue I've had with the last 4 Gen 2's I've done has been the same, and it's the rear rail module.

The front module is clearly milled out of hardened steel and the extra rail surface contact area is fantastic - but born / bred out of the Gen 1's lack of metal rear rails. The Gen2's removed the polymer rail setup from the Gen1's but they skimped on the rear rail module by stamping / folding it instead of milling it like they did with the front rail block.

I've had to deburr the front face of the rear rail module on all four where the trigger bar rubs the front of the rail module. It was causing, identically, all four builds to reset the trigger upon racking the slide, but if you held the trigger down and released the slide, the trigger would not reset. Dremel + 1 minute on each and they all work well, but it's confusing why they'd R&R these fantastic front rail modules and then cheap out on the rears.
MindTheGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 04:19 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindTheGAP View Post
I've had to deburr the front face of the rear rail module on all four where the trigger bar rubs the front of the rail module. It was causing, identically, all four builds to reset the trigger upon racking the slide, but if you held the trigger down and released the slide, the trigger would not reset. Dremel + 1 minute on each and they all work well, but it's confusing why they'd R&R these fantastic front rail modules and then cheap out on the rears.
I am having this exact issue on my recent build and could not figure out why. I will try cleaning up the rear rail.
ecampo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 04:49 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampo View Post
I am having this exact issue on my recent build and could not figure out why. I will try cleaning up the rear rail.
Sorry in advance for the potato-level quality, but at work and can't photo my own. The circled area in red is where I had to remove a small amount of material. A few passes with a file should be enough but make sure you check it between filings so you don't overdo it.

MindTheGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 12:27 PM #10

I did not have any issues with the rear rails in the one I just finished and it is a version 2. The trigger bar is clear of the rail and the trigger resets as it should.
Holster

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing