Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 13th, 2018, 05:51 PM #11

As in you are asking us? Or you are telling us? I’ve onky bought one box of federal xm80 and it has a bimetallic jacket. Most M80 stuff is, which is why I normally don’t buy Surplus ammo. Only .308 I have is a Sako Forester and I really don’t want to feed it stuff that is going to wear out the lands that much faster.

Once I build my AR-10 I’ll care a lot less about replacing a $200 Barrel. Replacing a $400-600 Barrel that is also likely to cost me another 150-200 for a smith to do the job...on a rifle with a ton of sentimental value to me that shoots 3/4” MOA...

Nope.

So I feed it mostly PPU M80, of which all of it is gilded jacketing and I can often find for $10-12 per box of 20 if I don’t mind waiting for a sale. Pretty accurate stuff too (no 3/4” MOA, but it’ll group under 2 MOA out of the Sako).
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 05:55 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sling Blade View Post
You can shoot that caliber on Thursdays at Freestate, but expect that distinction to be made there.
Freestate does the magnet test, his LC16 would fail and they would not let him shoot it =[
ascorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 05:56 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
As in you are asking us? Or you are telling us? Iíve onky bought one box of federal xm80 and it has a bimetallic jacket. Most M80 stuff is, which is why I normally donít buy Surplus ammo. Only .308 I have is a Sako Forester and I really donít want to feed it stuff that is going to wear out the lands that much faster.

Once I build my AR-10 Iíll care a lot less about replacing a $200 Barrel. Replacing a $400-600 Barrel that is also likely to cost me another 150-200 for a smith to do the job...on a rifle with a ton of sentimental value to me that shoots 3/4Ē MOA...

Nope.

So I feed it mostly PPU M80, of which all of it is gilded jacketing and I can often find for $10-12 per box of 20 if I donít mind waiting for a sale. Pretty accurate stuff too (no 3/4Ē MOA, but itíll group under 2 MOA out of the Sako).
I was more telling, this box is 9.99 with free ship. Is PPU consistently 10-12 dollars? I would love to stock up.
ascorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 08:40 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascorb View Post
I was more telling, this box is 9.99 with free ship. Is PPU consistently 10-12 dollars? I would love to stock up.
Not always always. Aim Surplus has it for $9.99 right no IIRC, but not free shipping. SGAmmo I think has it for $11 a box. Cabelaís occasionally has it on sale for around $11.50 and Iíll buy it with free shipping and discounted gift cards.
Old February 14th, 2018, 01:48 PM #15
Huckleberry Dillinger

Huckleberry Dillinger

All M80 ammo is metallic. If not, it wouldn't be M80 ammo. please recheck your ammo OR your magnet.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
j_h_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 08:03 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
All M80 ammo is metallic. If not, it wouldn't be M80 ammo. please recheck your ammo OR your magnet.
Technically yes. However several manufacturers make ďM80Ē ammunition that does not have a bimetallic jacket, but otherwise meets M80 specs. PPU, IIRC PMC and a couple of others. IMI makes a 150gr 7.62x51mm cartridge with bullet and primer sealing, but they donít label it M80. Early batches were under powered, but they apparently changed it a year or two so so you are getting roughly the MV that real M80 gets (instead of loaded 100FPS or so slower)
Old February 15th, 2018, 08:05 AM #17

Also rememebr it is XM80, not M80. Federal’s stuff is surf that fails at least one of the milspec criteria for acceptance. It could be they produced a batch with 147gr FMJ bullets that were not bimetallic because they had a bunch left over from something else so they assembled the cartridges and sold them civie as xm80
Old February 15th, 2018, 12:22 PM #18
don't drop Aboma on me

don't drop Aboma on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
As in you are asking us? Or you are telling us? Iíve onky bought one box of federal xm80 and it has a bimetallic jacket. Most M80 stuff is, which is why I normally donít buy Surplus ammo. Only .308 I have is a Sako Forester and I really donít want to feed it stuff that is going to wear out the lands that much faster.

Once I build my AR-10 Iíll care a lot less about replacing a $200 Barrel. Replacing a $400-600 Barrel that is also likely to cost me another 150-200 for a smith to do the job...on a rifle with a ton of sentimental value to me that shoots 3/4Ē MOA...

Nope.

So I feed it mostly PPU M80, of which all of it is gilded jacketing and I can often find for $10-12 per box of 20 if I donít mind waiting for a sale. Pretty accurate stuff too (no 3/4Ē MOA, but itíll group under 2 MOA out of the Sako).
I'm not expert, but what I read online says the steel is deep enough inside the rounds that is doesn't ever touch the lands and therefore shouldn't wear any faster. Unlike Russian type bi-metal jackets.
Old February 15th, 2018, 12:51 PM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoak View Post
I'm not expert, but what I read online says the steel is deep enough inside the rounds that is doesn't ever touch the lands and therefore shouldn't wear any faster. Unlike Russian type bi-metal jackets.
Oh. Interesting. Iíll have to try to do a little more research on that. I wouldnít mind picking up 200rnds for $100 and shipped free if PSA has that deal again later. Not hurting for ammo right now, but I like to keep my options open.

I am focusing most of my budget on guns rather than ammo or accessories right now. Though I do need to buy a metric ton of 9mm now that I am finishing a G17 build (I donít have anything in 9mm). Wonít go crazy right now. Iíll wait till BF for a deal to really stock up. Just a box or two of a number of things to see what shoots well in it.

And Iíll need to pick up a few boxes of .30-06 when I get a Garand later this spring. Trying to keep it light though so I can try to budget a third gun this calendar year.
Old February 15th, 2018, 01:11 PM #20

Showing out of stock now, I was going to get more. It was on sale up until yesterday or day before- the sale was on for over a month. I picked up 700 rds. Couldn’t beat it at that price
CGrant726 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles