Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 19th, 2019, 08:54 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrumann59 View Post
I have Utah but with the GFZ laws, I decided to get a VA NR for just in case. GFZ laws do not apply to VA CCW Resident or Non Resident. And depending on where you are in VA it is like Columbia MD where it seems some sort of GFZ is every 1/4 mile.
While I certainly believe the GFZ restrictions placed upon non-resident permits is true, I'm having a tough time finding that online. Your comment actually spurred me to send in my application for a VANR permit as well.
RockPaperSigSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:21 PM #12
Old Appalachia

Old Appalachia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrumann59 View Post
I have Utah but with the GFZ laws, I decided to get a VA NR for just in case. GFZ laws do not apply to VA CCW Resident or Non Resident. And depending on where you are in VA it is like Columbia MD where it seems some sort of GFZ is every 1/4 mile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPaperSigSauer View Post
While I certainly believe the GFZ restrictions placed upon non-resident permits is true, I'm having a tough time finding that online. Your comment actually spurred me to send in my application for a VANR permit as well.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308.1/

As far as I'm aware, your permit need not be a VA permit, just a valid permit recognized by VA.
Old February 20th, 2019, 09:15 AM #13
In a State of Denial

In a State of Denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post

Also: don't really need to wait for the packet i think. You can just download the application from the web site. The checklist is here, also online:

The only thing your really need in the packet is the fingerprint cards FD-258, but i think you can get those where you have prints done.
You do need to wait for the packet. You must use the fingerprint card provided by the VSP.

I just sent in my VA renewal yesterday. The checklist that is included in the application packet specifically states that electronic prints taken by an agent for law enforcement and printed on the VA Print card ARE ACCEPTABLE.

This means any vendor in MD who can submit prints to MD CJIS is acceptable.

http://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms...iminal_History

I used American Identity Solutions in Germantown. They have branches in SS, Bethesda and Rockville.

Attached is the checklist sent with the app packet.

As Stove mentioned, VA has accepted all other states' permits since July 1, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
VA has tried to go the way of PA. If Bloomberg has his way, they will try again. There is a bill on the VA gov desk to force the VA State Police to process NR permits in 90 days. Not sure he'll sign it. The govs office is responsible for the NR permit slowdown in the first place. According to rumor of course.

Given the attempted shennannigans in VA I would get the VA NR anyway as a backup. As soon as the AG and the gov wipe off their blackface they will get up the nerve to try again to restrict NR permits.

I am not sure where to get (ink) fingerprints on MoCo tho. I think Frederick Sheriff still does them, and if you were near UMBC I'd suggest that.
Again, you don't need ink prints.

Attached Images

Old February 20th, 2019, 12:48 PM #14
i pi

i pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
You do need to wait for the packet. You must use the fingerprint card provided by the VSP.

I just sent in my VA renewal yesterday. The checklist that is included in the application packet specifically states that electronic prints taken by an agent for law enforcement and printed on the VA Print card ARE ACCEPTABLE.

right, don't need ink, as it says on the checklist and the website.

For the FD-258 print card, do you really need this from the packet? It looked to me like a standard FBI print card (same as you get for Utah or Florida or for anything else), with the address stamped in the "ORI" field. I cant recall the stamp, but it seemed to me to just have the same address as where you mail the application. Can you just get the card (assuming you need the VA stamp, and cannot write it in)?

Other than the print card, everything else is online. Can one pick up a card somewhere in VA? What do private companies do, do they have stash of cards with the stamp? IIRC my packet took way more than 30 days to come in the mail.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 12:59 PM #15
In a State of Denial

In a State of Denial

The VA print card contains the VSP ORI code that is needed by the FBI to process the prints. A plain card will not work because the ORI code is not published anywhere.

No, VSP says use their card for this reason and there was some other info stamped on the card.

I emailed the request for my renewal packet and it was in my mailbox in 3 days.

The delay is them processing the application, not getting the blank forms and card
Old February 20th, 2019, 01:00 PM #16
MSI EM

MSI EM

Good to hear that scanned and printed works now. Big improvement.

As to the card, I remember something pre-printed (maybe ink stamped) on the back of the supplied cards.

EDIT Swino' beat me!

"I do find myself cursing the ghosts of the politicians and gun owners who let our 2nd Amendment rights degrade over the past century. Seven plus decades of being afraid to enthusiastically challenge any new ban against our gun rights has proven to be very foolish. Your rights will not preserve themselves; they must be pursued, secured and vigilantly maintained."
Boxcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 01:05 PM #17
In a State of Denial

In a State of Denial

VSP requests but does not mandate that the print vendor stamp their name and address on the rear of the card.

But not mandatory. I asked my vendor to do it which they did.

Last edited by swinokur; February 21st, 2019 at 08:35 AM.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 01:07 PM #18
i pi

i pi

The other info on the card was something about putting the name/address/phone on the back of the agency taking the prints to help them validate prints.

My packet took a long time. but then, been a quite while and I might have got caught up in the nonsense when they were trying to remove reciprocity for NR permits from other states.
Old February 20th, 2019, 01:11 PM #19
In a State of Denial

In a State of Denial

The VSP card also has a small stamp next to the area of the sig of the person taking the prints to put their phone number next to their signature. A plain card obtained elsewhere does not have that small stamp

A phone number is requiredby VSP, not optional.

A plain card could easily be submitted without the mandatory phone number and cause the entire app to be returned

The requested vendor info on the back is optional.

The person taking the prints phone number on the front under the little added stamp is NOT
Old February 20th, 2019, 01:16 PM #20
i pi

i pi

the moral is the story, get the VSP print card. I am getting my renewal stuff well in advance.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety