• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I was there Friday afternoon and had the place to myself. The first two sets of baffles looked okay but I think it was the third set that was shot all to hell. Didn't look at the others. I just don't know why it is going to take so long to repair this place. Seems like a contractor could do it in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else love it when you're the only person at the range?!:)

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    well Senator Jack Bailey replied stating Good Afternoon Mr. Buell,

I have forwarded your email to our liaison with the Department of Natural Resources. Someone from their office will either contact you directly, or will reach back out to our office with additional information addressing your concern.

It may take a few days, but you will certainly hear from someone shortly.

Best regards,

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Maybe, prior to use of the MG range, all shooters should go thru a one time mandatory safety class and walk thru at range. It won’t stop all the dumb stuff that goes on, but it may help.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Maybe, prior to use of the MG range, all shooters should go thru a one time mandatory safety class and walk thru at range. It won’t stop all the dumb stuff that goes on, but it may help.

Though I understand where you are coming from I disagree. People will do dumb crap regardless of what course they go through and I don't particularly care to incur another fee for something. If people see some one doing something stupid they need to speak up. Maybe the Park Rangers could patrol it more often, if it is even patrolled. I recommended the installation of CCTV cameras.

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    This temporary closure will provide the basis of the argument that will be brought forth by anti’s this fall to keep the range shut down forever.

Expect to see a suit filed by one of the usual suspect environmental groups, demanding an EIS and injunction against the range reopening until the EIS is completed, many years from now.

Just watch.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    In response to my email. Good Morning Mr. dated May 9th

I wanted to share with you the response I received from the Department of Natural Resources. They indicated, the plan for Myrtle Grove is still under development, but the department is working on the feasibility for an interim- use option. They indicated they are not aware of any intention to close the range for good, and would keep us updated. Should I hear anything additional, I will be sure to pass the information along to you.

Best regards,

Alicia

Alicia Luckhardt

Chief of Staff

Senator Jack Bailey

District 29

Calvert & St. Mary’s Counties

James Senate Office Building

11Bladen Street

Suite 402

Annapolis, MD 21401

410-841-3673

Jack.Bailey@senate.state.md.us

Rob00taws6

Apr 4, 2013
    I was in the area today and decided to drive down there to see what was going on... Not to my surprise, nothing is happening, just a lot of locked gates, no trespassing signs, and yellow police tape...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldline6

Apr 1, 2018
    It would be great if DNR could take advantage of this statutory change to save some money and improve and expand some ranges...

"Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/nssf-celebrates-president-trump-signing-range-bill/#ixzz5o0O6pwS5
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

"The Target Practice and Marksmanship Training Support Act, also known as the “Range Bill,” allows states to use their Pittman-Robertson Fund allocations to begin construction of new ranges, or improve existing state-run public recreational shooting ranges.

"Prior to this law’s enactment, states were required to put up 25 percent of the cost of range construction projects to access the matching 75 percent of Pittman-Robertson funds. Now, states can access those funds with a 10 percent match and will have five fiscal years to acquire land for range construction or expansion projects."

A 10 percent state to a 90 percent federal matching fund deal? How could the Tawes Building pass this up?

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/ns..._6f6fac3eaa-267074ca18-21391075#axzz5nvKfZkfG

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I stopped by m.g. on may 27 in the am on the way home from work.

They have started they took down all the benches and range officer shack and they have at least some of the baffles taken apart. I have a few pictures. But cant post

I didn't go past the gate or yellow tape they had. It is ashame they didn't cleared a viewing spot so we can watch the progress. So they are working on it, but I still can't see it taking all summer long to do that little bit of work unless they have only 2 people doing it all

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    I just don't understand how those baffles get shot up so bad unless it's done on purpose. I've never come close to hitting a baffle and I bet most here could say the same. I could understand a few rounds from ND, but those baffles have had thousands of hits. Has anyone seen people shooting the baffles while you were there?

99% of it is not intentional. I’m no super genius but if you look at where the bullets impact from the shooters with targets at 10-15 yards, that pit of mud is one half the way between the line and where those torn up baffles are. So IMHO, it’s the shooters firing at those short ranges whose bullets then ricochet up and impact the baffles....a couple thousand rounds of that and you see what you get.

Using jamesp15’s picture you can kind of see what I mean. That mud pit is where a lot of pistol and “super cool tactical carbine” shooters rounds hit and then bounce up. That is why it is only the third baffle that suffers most of that damage.

Attachments

• CDFCB8F2-2B89-4E3C-8979-7F25B7E70F43.jpg
      CDFCB8F2-2B89-4E3C-8979-7F25B7E70F43.jpg
      128.1 KB · Views: 518

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Didn’t they put some dirt mounds at 10 or 15 yards on those end lanes last go around to prevent that?

Edited, found picture from 2016

Attachments

• Myrtle Grove 2.jpg
      Myrtle Grove 2.jpg
      107.5 KB · Views: 713
    Last edited:

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    While down in the area today I stopped by to see what if any progress, they have done some work clearly...

Why the "picket fences" out past the concrete pad? If permanent would seem to make calling hot and cold more difficult to coordinate easily? Not a big deal, but dont see the point other than maybe lessening the "brass shower" that some people subject you to. The placement of it seems odd, especially since its over the first few feet of dirt and not on the concrete pad at all.

If its indeed pushing the firing line forward some, the range might end up at just barely 100yards with targets almost on the back berm, IIRC my rangefinder measured 103 yards from the front edge of the concrete pad to the berm at its shortest distance. (106 at longest)

Will try and stop by again whenever im down there for any progress pics, may get the nerve up to cross the police tape they have up by the gate one day for a few quick pictures even lol

If anyone fishes there, they have done quite a bit of brush cleanup on the berm around the west part of the "main" lake making it accessible for bank fishing again.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Very interesting. Good to see actual work taking place. The picket fences are really odd and their placement forward of the concrete even odder. Looks like new tables are going to be installed, concrete would be a good choice to replace the wood.

mmadd636

Aug 9, 2013
    SOMD
    Wow, looks like something is getting done. This thread saved me a drive to la plata for sure. Sanners lake it is then this summer.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    Looks to me like the picket fences could be fairly effective at stopping flying brass from dinging neighboring shooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom