• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    MIT has a competition called Solve wherein they look for innovative solutions for different problems. This year, wait for it, Everytown is sponsoring an MIT Solve competition to "reductions in gun violence." Of course, they are looking for technology solutions to this "problem." Technology can be data or hardware, etc.

Notwithstanding my disgust w/ Everytown, wouldn't it be interesting if a pro-2nd amendment person were to compete for a prize related to the creation or use of technology to limit the REAL drivers of violence in cities?

Any techies, creative types or inventors out there that would want to give this a go? Only a few days to submit an idea and anyone can enter.

And yes, I know that Everytown is probably just going to award the money to someone who will use commie tech solutions from China, Google, Facebook or other similar sources to try to crush your civil rights. But it might be fun anyway for some people of the gun to offer tech solutions that address the real causes of urban violence.

More here:

https://solve.mit.edu/challenges/he...ail&utm_term=0_66eabb650a-6d850a249b-62361137

Everytown for Gun Safety Prize

Holistic, community-based solutions that use technology to make communities safer are eligible for up to $100,000 in grant funding provided by Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund. Selected solutions will contribute to reductions in gun violence and its impacts through the use of data or digital technology. Successful approaches can address the upstream drivers of gun violence, such as poverty or access to firearms, and/or the downstream impacts, such as psychological trauma. Solutions that utilize data should source, maintain, and use that data ethically and responsibly. Solver team(s) will be selected to receive the prize from the Healthy Cities or Community-Driven Innovation Challenges.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Better locks on prison cells would do it .

Now we're thinkin'.

All I know is that Everytown considers access to firearms as a driver, and that logic ain't good for civil rights and democracy - especially when they start adopting CCP technology to control access (i.e. limit civil rights.) I much more prefer better, tech-enabled locks on cell doors than the Bloomturd alternative...

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Now we're thinkin'.

All I know is that Everytown considers access to firearms as a driver, and that logic ain't good for civil rights and democracy - especially when they start adopting CCP technology to control access (i.e. limit civil rights.) I much more prefer better, tech-enabled locks on cell doors than the Bloomturd alternative...

I am thinking about a lock that locks and doesn't unlock for 10 years or so.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I will propose a piece of software that prints out the state's criminal statutes and sentencing guidelines in a very large font, one copy of each to be delivered to each prosecutor, judge, and jury member involved when a serial criminal is once again violent. In order to instantly get total hipster/millennial/Silicon Valley buy-in, I will call this software "BitCrime" and offer to sell very expensive shares.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Low-jacks that deliver a number of taser-like shocks to judges/prosecutors when the people they let out commit violent crimes? Intensity and number determined by the degree of violent felony committed by the released criminal?

In all seriousness, if anyone has ideas that could actually use technology to reduce violence in cities you might want to look into this. Might be cool.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Notwithstanding my disgust w/ Everytown, wouldn't it be interesting if a pro-2nd amendment person were to compete for a prize related to the creation or use of technology to limit the REAL drivers of violence in cities?

God, I hope someone trolls them with this using some innocuous set of independent criteria that together highlight all of the uncomfortable statistics and hatefacts surrounding the reality of gun crime in american cities.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Design a collar with red glowing lights for felons convicted of a gun crime. Attach "shot spotter" to it. When a Db level exceeds threshold. Gunshot really really close... * boom*

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    God, I hope someone trolls them with this using some innocuous set of independent criteria that together highlight all of the uncomfortable statistics and hatefacts surrounding the reality of gun crime in american cities.

This. An app or game that allows a Bloomburger to plug in their favorite variables or "solutions" to "gun violence" and the app objectively demonstrates how the solution will not work. For example, the user plugs in stop sales of firearms to reduce or eliminate suicides, and then surprise, surprise the app shows that in Korea, Japan, NY and other locations they have zero to heavily restricted firearms and high or average suicide rates.

Anyway, in all seriousness if there are some techies or creative types out there this might be a cool project.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    there's actually a pretty good low-tech solution - put, and keep, violent offenders (not just guns, but knives, bats, cars, fists, etc) behind bars.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Everytown may not get the results they're expecting. MIT students, especially the really creative ones, tend to have strong libertarian traits.

It turns out really intelligent folks don't like being told what to do by authoritarian morons.

Last edited:

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Everytown may not get the results they're expecting. MIT students, especially the really creative ones, tend to have strong libertarian tendencies.

It turns out really intelligent folks don't like being told what to do by authoritarian morons.

Not so sure. One of my son's schoolmates, who is really a statistics genius, will be going to MIT to study "public health science" and use of statistics and government policy to increase "population heath." They did their honors project on government using "nudges" to get people to alter behavior.

Your observation is probably true for materials engineers, and astrophysicists, but MIT does have plenty of people doing their thesis on social engineering and "population health" and that certainty is about using government to alter (control) people's "choices."

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    there's actually a pretty good low-tech solution - put, and keep, violent offenders (not just guns, but knives, bats, cars, fists, etc) behind bars.

But how will that launder 501(c)3 charitable monies into support for DNC policies? That is the chief reason d'etre and function of Bloomberg's gun control fronts.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Why not just do an analysis of>>>

mass shootings at gun shows or police departments

vs.

mass shootings at schools and churches

then>>>

determine why gun shows and police departments are safer than schools or churches

and then>>>

once you figure out the reason, stop infringing on peoples right to defend them self and forcing able bodied people to be victims.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    "Gun crime". :sad20: So is DUi "alcohol crime" or "car crime"?

Hmm. Please be clear bout what is happening. "Gun Violence" transfers responsibility to an object. Violence was caused be the person.
    As an Engineer if they keep transference up... NORMALIZE it

Gun Violence. yeah shot
    Gravity violence. Falling
    Car violence. Car involved
    Water violence. Drown

You get the idea.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Not so sure. One of my son's schoolmates, who is really a statistics genius, will be going to MIT to study "public health science" and use of statistics and government policy to increase "population heath." They did their honors project on government using "nudges" to get people to alter behavior.

Your observation is probably true for materials engineers, and astrophysicists, but MIT does have plenty of people doing their thesis on social engineering and "population health" and that certainty is about using government to alter (control) people's "choices."

Yeah, you're probably right. When I hear "MIT", I automatically associate to hard sciences, math, and engineering. But I keep forgetting they have business, arts, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom