• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Today I traded for a Polytech M14S. After doing much research I have not found a clear answer on magazine compatibility. Will any M14 / M1A magazine work?

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    I have an unfired Polytech m14 from the late 90s. It sits in the back of the safe. I do remember some m1a magazines not fitting smoothly in it which prompted me to order the Keep Shooting (or might have been checkmate) magazines years ago. You got me curious so now I'm going to have to empty out the safe to check.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    If the stock is chinese wood all the mags mentioned should work. If you change to usgi wood it could bind. Mine had the chinese handguard resting on the wood which changed the angle of the receiver. Replaced with a usgi handguard. There should be a gap between the botton of the handguard and the wood. Mine don't bind and you don't have to slam the mag to engage the latch.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Mine has a USGI stock and the mags don’t hardly fit. I’ll have to do some fitting work on it. Might just take it to Charley Maloney and have him do some work on it.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have an unfired Polytech m14 from the late 90s. It sits in the back of the safe. I do remember some m1a magazines not fitting smoothly in it which prompted me to order the Keep Shooting (or might have been checkmate) magazines years ago. You got me curious so now I'm going to have to empty out the safe to check.

While it's out sell it to me!

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Mine would compress the metal magazine well with the usgi stock. After changing the handguard the mags latched smoothly. Also corrected the draw pressure on the front ferrule of the stock. See tony3 videos YT or(tonyben) on www.m14forum.com. Search "polutech magazine issues". Also Gus Fisher and Art Lupino. Gus has a checklist for magazine fit. The handgard wasn't on the list and was mentioned from the gas system video. The mags should work with the receiver out of the stock. No grinding on the magazine latch or mag was necessary. Didn't file the wood either.

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I only purchase guns, I never sell them!

IF you'll sell it, I'll make you one helluva offer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom