• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Rem 700....huge aftermarket support when you inevitably want to tinker and change the stock, trigger, barell etc.

I heart my 700, but that was after I changed the trigger, stock, and added a detachable magazine. Building a great rifle from a good rifle is probably not the most budget friendly route.

And then OP has to think about glass.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I found a TC Compass in .308 for $249 and as a package deal got a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 and rings for an additional $109 shipped.

Fit and finish is mediocre, but the thing shoots like an absolute tack driver. I have been primarily shooting Federal Power-Shock 150gr and had it zero'd at 100 yards in 6 shots. Shot exactly 1 MOA with that ammo pretty consistently.

Laid out a dozen clays out on a hillside on my buddies farm ranging from 100 - 175 and did not miss once. Turned them all to dust.

I am honestly blown away by the performance of this thing, which also comes with 5r rifling. USA made too.

Looking forward to many seasons of deer hunting with it, without a care in the world of how dirty or banged up she gets.

See below for first 3 shot group at 100yd after zero. Barrel was not cooled back down after zero and this was with 150 gr Federal Powershok. Sandbag rests.

Attachments

• 553E66C1-31A6-4E0A-A091-DF512714D121.jpg
      553E66C1-31A6-4E0A-A091-DF512714D121.jpg
      47 KB · Views: 242

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I found a TC Compass in .308 for $249 and as a package deal got a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 and rings for an additional $109 shipped.

Fit and finish is mediocre, but the thing shoots like an absolute tack driver. I have been primarily shooting Federal Power-Shock 150gr and had it zero'd at 100 yards in 6 shots. Shot exactly 1 MOA with that ammo pretty consistently.

Laid out a dozen clays out on a hillside on my buddies farm ranging from 100 - 175 and did not miss once. Turned them all to dust.

I am honestly blown away by the performance of this thing, which also comes with 5r rifling. USA made too.

Looking forward to many seasons of deer hunting with it, without a care in the world of how dirty or banged up she gets.

See below for first 3 shot group at 100yd after zero. Barrel was not cooled back down after zero and this was with 150 gr Federal Powershok. Sandbag rests.

Good three shot group. The fourth in the upper right killed the group...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Savage , bought mine at dicks a few years back . Has heavy barrel on it , can get 10 rd mags if you wqnt. Bolt I have never had an issue, little slop but hey it’s not a 1000 dollar rifle . Has an accu trigger which I like so it’s adjustable . Amen with scope but changed it . For the money it’s a great rifle. 100/200yds shots getting great groupings. Only ever shot I believe the federal sst, think it’s federal have to see box.Got out to shooting 400 or so once and hitting around 3inch group . Thinking more so the Indian and not the arrow. Eyes aren’t what they used to be , neither is my breathing. Good luck .lots of stuff out there to choose from. My experience seems they all shoot pretty well just done have that fine fit and finish of an exspensive rifle.Oh almost forgot bought a Thomsan Center 30 06.,damn cant remember name they came out couple years ago, damn good rifle for price , tack driver at 100.

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    I have a savage model 10 wth a 24 inch heavy barrel. If you use 168 grain ammo it will fire sub MOA with a good scope on it. I also bought a Tikka 3 with a 20 inch barrel and it fires sub MOA. It cost twice as much as the savage model 10.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I heart my 700, but that was after I changed the trigger, stock, and added a detachable magazine. Building a great rifle from a good rifle is probably not the most budget friendly route.

And then OP has to think about glass.

The one advantage of doing it this way is, you get the spread the cost out over time.

Rifle. Glass, Trigger. Stock.

deputyG23

Oct 8, 2017
    Don’t rule out the 30-06.
    In my neck of the woods, there are more choices for rifles than .308, especially used, and during the ammo panic a few years ago, .308 was much more difficult to get.
    If you handload, the ‘06 can do a huge number of shooting tasks well.
    The local Wal-Mart yesterday had much more ‘06 on the shelf than .308.
    I went through this process myself when I obtained a large amount of primed 7.62/308 brass and loaded ammo from an estate sale and had no .308 to shoot it in. Will stick with my ‘06 bolt gun and will most likely sell the .308 rounds and brass.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    NOT the Remington 783. Haven't heard one single positive comment about it. I have a buddy with a Savage, and he raves about it... Personally, I built a .308 AR.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Those have gone on sale in the past. Under $300 if I recall.

My father did this with a 6.5cm Howa chassis from Brownells. I do not recommend the Hogue stock he purchased though. The Howa is basically a rem 700. I have an S&W 1500 in .308 which is a Howa with S&W badging. I took it to Africa with me and took a Blesbuck at 430yds. They are nice rifles. The Barreled action plus your favorite stock is a great option IMHO. B&C make really nice stocks or you could go the chassis route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom