• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJB762

Jul 5, 2012
    I have seen the exact marking on a Sears JC Higgins Model 50 30-06 Commercial FN Mauser.

I have one of these...that was gonna be my guess.

EDIT: Mine is actually Sears Model 53. It looks like they may have come with Winchester Mod 70 actions.

So my guess is wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rtenkate

Apr 10, 2009
    Rifle

I have a JC Higgins in Win .270 that looks like this. It is a hand me down gun from my father.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    If you remove it from the stock you will find the inspector stamps, some numbers, and possibly a Belgian proof mark on the flat between the recoil lug and the magazine hole. They also liked to put the serial number either there or on the underside of the receiver ring forward of the recoil lug.
    The companies that built rifles with these receivers often put the same serial number or a new one that met their production requirements on the barrel or side of the receiver ring.
    In the case of Husqvarna and Tradewinds the serial was on the bottom of the receiver and on the left side of the barrel. Weird, to put the serial on the barrel and not visibly on the reciever since the barrel could be changed.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Bottom of a Husky FN I've just glass bedded and cleaning up. Still some release stuff and clay on the receiver, but you can see the markings.

t8QW1Zv.jpg
    [/IMG]
    veHTPFM.jpg
    [/IMG]

gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    I just had some more time with the gun, safety does not touch the scope and also locks the bolt when engaged, and there is 270 WIN, so at least I now know the caliber. Got it all apart, a bit more corrosion than I was expecting, but it seems to only be on the surface and not too invasive. Any recommendations as to how to treat the corrosion?

Trigger looks aftermarket. Looks to be a mauser 98 by the FN stamp.

Attachments

• IMG-9740 copy.jpg
      IMG-9740 copy.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 118
    • IMG-9741 copy.jpg
      IMG-9741 copy.jpg
      92.7 KB · Views: 115
    • IMG-9742 copy.jpg
      IMG-9742 copy.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 110
    • IMG-9743 copy.jpg
      IMG-9743 copy.jpg
      28.9 KB · Views: 122
    • IMG-9744 copy.jpg
      IMG-9744 copy.jpg
      32.3 KB · Views: 122
    • IMG-9745 copy.jpg
      IMG-9745 copy.jpg
      24.7 KB · Views: 116
    • IMG-9746 copy.jpg
      IMG-9746 copy.jpg
      17.4 KB · Views: 103

gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    Based on all the rust I found, this one is a good candidate for a restoration? A shooter with not much collectible value beyond its functionality.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Based on all the rust I found, this one is a good candidate for a restoration? A shooter with not much collectible value beyond its functionality.

Where is the rust, the barrel??? Soak it with PB blaster and VERY fine steel wool and that might be what the doctor ordered.

gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    Where is the rust, the barrel??? Soak it with PB blaster and VERY fine steel wool and that might be what the doctor ordered.

Under the wood, the trigger guard but mostly the outside of the ammo box has a some bright orange rust, I took a scotchbrite, penetrating oil, and finished it with CLP.

I tried thick cotton t-shit scrap, penetrating oil, and CLP on the barrel, but there are some small patches that have clearly penetrated the bluing. Along with the million pinhole sized. Smoothed out and tamed the rust a little, until I can grab some 0000 steel or copper wool.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Under the wood, the trigger guard but mostly the outside of the ammo box has a some bright orange rust, I took a scotchbrite, penetrating oil, and finished it with CLP.

I tried thick cotton t-shit scrap, penetrating oil, and CLP on the barrel, but there are some small patches that have clearly penetrated the bluing. Along with the million pinhole sized. Smoothed out and tamed the rust a little, until I can grab some 0000 steel or copper wool.

That's about all you can do.... next step cold blue in spots but the gun probably isn't worth a ton, shoot it and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom