• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CBo

Feb 11, 2018
    Columbia
    I got mine about 3 weeks total after mailing it certified. I think I only had it for a month or so? Just keep an eye out for MD State Police mail, its literally just a letter with no unique numbers, just tells you you are one now.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... was told they won’t approve you if you haven’t bought a registered firearm or no hql

..l

If you never bought a handgun in Maryland, why would you need an exemption from "one per month?"

You don't need an exemption until your second or third purchase within 30 days.

Not really unreasonable they expect to see at least one handgun purchase.

... So in effect the state will force you to purchase a regulated firearm, that now includes the cost and training requirements of obtaining an HQL, and be entered into a database in order to receive Designated Collector status and be able to transport some or all of your collection for display because I am sure they would argue that one can not be a "Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms" and not have a aDesignated Collector recognition from the Maryland State Police.

Oh not this nonsense again.

The only purpose of the Designated Collector status is to exempt the holder from "one handgun per month." That's all it is.

It has nothing to do with handgun transport.

The idea that it serves any, any, ANY other legal purpose is nothing but internet ********. The State Police and the Attorney General have no such idea.

...I am sure they would argue that one can not be a "Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms" and not have a aDesignated Collector recognition from the Maryland State Police

Rubbish.

I really don't feel like reposting this crap for the hundredth time.

What "Bona Fide" means is not known to the law. It is unsettled. That means you have to pay your lawyer to present your argument in court.

It will not be settled on the side of the road by showing the cop some stupid letter.

It will be settled at your trial, in court. You will be the test case. You will pay your lawyer to try to convince the court.

Certainly "Designated" and "Bona Fide" are two completely different terms, legally. Look very closely, and you will see there is a slight difference in spelling.

In spite of the dangerous nonsense that keeps getting repeated and reposted over and over and over by know nothings here on the internet, the only purpose of the Designated Collector status is to exempt the holder from "one handgun per month." That's all it is.

The only purpose of the Designated Collector status is to exempt the holder from "one handgun per month." That's all it is.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Mine just took a day, spoke to MSP and he said it would take about a week to receive the letter itself but in the system it showed me as a collector by the next day. The letter is just for your reference.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why does one need a regulated firearm "in The System" to be a collector?

Perhaps you had a collection before there was a system.
    Perhaps you moved into the state and brought your collection with you before FS2013.
    Perhaps you collect unregulated long guns.

I know it is Maryland and nothing they do makes sense.

Because it only applies now to purchases of handguns.

And the 30 day wait law started in 1996.

And the requirement for handguns to be purchased with MSP check started back in the 60s.

And it only applies to future purchases. So why not have you buy one first?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Before FS2013 if you moved to Maryland there was no requirement to register your handguns so there is no telling how many collections were here.

There are probably more ways to collect firearms without including any that are Maryland "Regulated" a C&R collection for example. So in effect the state will force you to purchase a regulated firearm, that now includes the cost and training requirements of obtaining an HQL, and be entered into a database in order to receive Designated Collector status and be able to transport some or all of your collection for display because I am sure they would argue that one can not be a "Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms" and not have a Designated Collector recognition from the Maryland State Police.

Bona fide collector and Designate Collecter have NOTHING to do with each other. And Designated Collector has NOTHING to do with transporting your collection.

Designated collector ONLY has to do with being able to purchase without the 30 day wait. So if you collect via C&R license, it does nothing for you. If you already have a collection, it does nothing for you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And for those that do not know the history of the Designated Collector status.

When MD enacted the 30 day wait between regulated firearms purchases in 1996, the argument was made, what about a collector that comes across another collection for sale and needs to purchase more than one regulated firearm at a time.

So the added the provision to become a Designated Collector, so that you would be exempt from the 30 day wait. At the time, you had to jump through hoops to prove you were a collector.

Later, they relaxed the process, so anyone can get the designation.

And the ONLY thing is has to do with is the 30 day wait. NOTHING else.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm resurrecting another thread due to a situation I kinda/sorta placed myself in. Let's see if I can keep a long story short.

After deciding I wanted a nice 1911 to compliment my solitary 1911 from 1941, I ordered a Dan Wesson Valor through their LE/Mil purchase program. That was early April, and due to Covid 19 and their production being shut down, I've been patiently waiting for that order to be fulfilled.

Fast forward to early July and I came upon another Dan Wesson 1911 for sale from a fellow MDS'er, and my wife decided to fund it for me for a birthday present. Thinking maybe there would be a conflict in timing, I applied for my Designated Collector and sent the application off sometime between the time I paid for the 2nd 1911, and the time I got it out of MD pistol jail 7 days later.

Today I got a call from CZ USA/Dan Wesson to confirm payment information, and to tell me that they h ad a Valor in stock and would be shipping it out today. I haven't gotten my letter back from MSP saying that I am a designated collector, which means that until I do, the FFL will have to hold my other pistol until I'm legally able to pick it up in early August.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So here's an update to this thread - as of today (probably earlier, but I got the letter today) I'm officially a MD Designated Collector. Yay.

And now I've run afoul of the damned Maryland Handgun Roster.

It never occurred to me that I'd have to check the roster for a 1911, and especially not one with a model name that's been sold in the past. Unfortunately for me, when Dan Wesson did their update and re-release of the Valor, they changed the model number.....which is not yet on the roster.

The good news is that the FFL is going to hold it for me until it gets approved (I'm assuming it will be approved, but this is Maryland...) at the next board hearing on September 16th. My FFL let me come visit my pistol in pistol prison - it's a dandy gun and one that will be worth the wait, but this roster has got to go.

Here's a question. Can I petition for guns that I don't actually intend to buy, but would be worthwhile additions to the roster, or can I only petition for guns that are specific to what I intend to, or have already purchased? The 2020 Dan Wesson Valor comes in different finishes, and each has its own model number.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    So here's an update to this thread - as of today (probably earlier, but I got the letter today) I'm officially a MD Designated Collector. Yay.

And now I've run afoul of the damned Maryland Handgun Roster.

It never occurred to me that I'd have to check the roster for a 1911, and especially not one with a model name that's been sold in the past. Unfortunately for me, when Dan Wesson did their update and re-release of the Valor, they changed the model number.....which is not yet on the roster.

The good news is that the FFL is going to hold it for me until it gets approved (I'm assuming it will be approved, but this is Maryland...) at the next board hearing on September 16th. My FFL let me come visit my pistol in pistol prison - it's a dandy gun and one that will be worth the wait, but this roster has got to go.

Here's a question. Can I petition for guns that I don't actually intend to buy, but would be worthwhile additions to the roster, or can I only petition for guns that are specific to what I intend to, or have already purchased? The 2020 Dan Wesson Valor comes in different finishes, and each has its own model number.

Anyone can petition to have a new gun added. The roster board requires a sample of the gun if it is a different gun. Sights, colors, finishes, etc. are the same gun. Caliber, action, thumb safety, etc. are different so they need to have the gun with the petition.

First, allow me to say the roster is completely useless, but the best thing we can hope for is to have model numbers and caliber removed from the roster altogether. Some manufacturers are listed with model numbers and some are not. Kind of defeats the point. The roster board continues to claim they don’t have legislative authority to do some things that would make it less restrictive, but takes their own authority to do other things when it makes things more restrictive. The whole process is worthless and accomplishes nothing. It is what it is and will never go away as long as Democrats are in charge.

Chuck

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Anyone can petition to have a new gun added. The roster board requires a sample of the gun if it is a different gun. Sights, colors, finishes, etc. are the same gun. Caliber, action, thumb safety, etc. are different so they need to have the gun with the petition.

Chuck
    That's actually contrary to what I've been told by another FFL - same gun, different finishes, one is ok but the other isn't.

I've also been told that the board doesn't always require a sample. In this case, it's a 1911 in 45 ACP. Thumb safety is the same, caliber is the same, action is the same, etc. Do they really need a sample of the 2020 Valor when it's virtually the same as the previously sold Valor? I added that to my petition - that it's functionally the same as virtually every other Dan Wesson 1911 currently on the roster.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    That's actually contrary to what I've been told by another FFL - same gun, different finishes, one is ok but the other isn't.

I've also been told that the board doesn't always require a sample. In this case, it's a 1911 in 45 ACP. Thumb safety is the same, caliber is the same, action is the same, etc. Do they really need a sample of the 2020 Valor when it's virtually the same as the previously sold Valor? I added that to my petition - that it's functionally the same as virtually every other Dan Wesson 1911 currently on the roster.

What was in my head didn’t end up on paper... LOL

If the new model number has cosmetic changes, then you’re good to submit a petition to the roster board without a sample. A functional change in the operation of the gun requires a sample. Removing or adding a thumb safety would require a sample with the petition. Adding night sights would not require a sample with the petition.

Chuck

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I believe they used to batch approve once a month. So if they got your app the day after they did this months apps,, it would take until the next month to approve, then a week or so to get letter out.

small shot

Aug 20, 2020
    I'm currently at 2 months and no letter from msp. I'm thinking it will show up after the election.. Perhaps there is a flood of applications? All that said it still shouldnt take over 2 months.

CZlady

Oct 13, 2020
    Montgomery County
    I just recently got my collectors - about a month ago. It was approved in about 10 days but my letter took about 14 days to show up. I was expecting longer wait times because of the surge of people applying.

I only knew it was approved that quickly because I was waiting for my 30 days to be up to pick up a purchase (ruger SR22) but my 'you are not specifically disapproved' email came right at the 7 day mark after purchase. So that was a happy surprise!

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I'm currently at 2 months and no letter from msp. I'm thinking it will show up after the election.. Perhaps there is a flood of applications? All that said it still shouldnt take over 2 months.

I’d give them a quick call. The confirmation letter probably got misplaced or didn’t get sent. You don’t need the letter, so if they say you’re good, you’re good.

Chuck

small shot

Aug 20, 2020
    I’d give them a quick call. The confirmation letter probably got misplaced or didn’t get sent. You don’t need the letter, so if they say you’re good, you’re good.

Chuck

Thank you for response and the push to call :D After being bounced around a women finally told me I was approved but could not give me the date (mentioned they were behind on letters). She had a bad attitude and could tell from the tone in her voice she hated life...

So I plan to hit gun stores today to finally get a lower :party29:

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Thank you for response and the push to call :D After being bounced around a women finally told me I was approved but could not give me the date (mentioned they were behind on letters). She had a bad attitude and could tell from the tone in her voice she hated life...

So I plan to hit gun stores today to finally get a lower :party29:

You can’t imagine the number of phone calls they get and the number of people that yell at them because their HQL took 3 weeks to process. I’m sure it’s staggering. You were certainly patient, and I’m sure they appreciate that. Now that you’re approved as a Designated Collector, you can now buy as often as you like. You are exempt from a law that shouldn’t have been there in the first place... LOL

We have M-16 cut lowers for $129 if you want to stop by and take a look. We have lower parts kits and buffers, but no uppers. We’re open Monday through Saturday from 10-6.

Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom