• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j26sub

May 8, 2018
    I have read many differing opinions. Can I get the letter about being a collector without an HQL or regulated purchase in MD? Thanks!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It used to be possible.

But a couple of years ago, they started denying applications from those without a handgun purchase.

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    I have read many differing opinions. Can I get the letter about being a collector without an HQL or regulated purchase in MD? Thanks!

Why do you want it? Most of us got it so we don’t have to wait 30days to buy a handgun and to only give the state 10 bucks no matter how many 77rs were turning in at one time etc . But when I first looked into it I was told by many people that the state would denie you if you hadn’t got a handgun or registered firearm in a while

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    no. I was denied because I only buy c&r, which they told me are not regulated so I do not qualify for designated collector. I have no problem with this, as I plan on leaving this terd of a state ASAP.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    No way to know for sure without a test case, but I suspect you sent a copy of a C&R with your application and indicating collecting firearms including handguns of historical interest something MIGHT happen. Then again, it might not.

I suspect there are darn few who have legitimate collecting interest who don't have at least one purchase known to MD State Police. This is especially true for those aged 41 years or younger or who have moved to Maryland from elsewhere with their guns since Oct 1, 2013. :rolleyes:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    no. I was denied because I only buy c&r, which they told me are not regulated so I do not qualify for designated collector. I have no problem with this, as I plan on leaving this terd of a state ASAP.

Except they are regulated when sold within the state. So are they saying you can transfer as many C&R as you want with or without an HQL?

Missed seeing post 6 before making my previous post.

From the MDSP Licensing under Designated Collector:

A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period, unless that person is a Designated Firearms Collector. Exemptions to the Designated Firearms Collector, and who may also purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period, are:
    The purchase is for a private collection or a collector series.
    The purchase is a bulk purchase from an estate sale.
    The purchase is for the purpose of taking advantage of a dealer's discounted price for a multiple purchase. No more than two firearms may be purchased at a time in this way.

And this is at the top of that same page:

A Designated Collector is a status granted and approved by the Maryland State Police upon submission of an application. It is granted to an individual who devotes time and attention to acquiring certain types of regulated firearms for the enhancement of the collector's personal collection, or possesses a Federal Firearms License (Collector of Curio and Relics). A Designated Collector is not authorized to act as a firearms dealer.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You really only need the Designated Collector Status if you want to buy more than one handgun in a 30 day period. It serves absolutely no purpose otherwise. If you never buy any handguns, it's perfectly reasonable for the cops to expect you to buy at least one handgun before they give you the exemption. Otherwise, why do you even want it?

Of course they're wrong about that as you phrase it. Purchased in state, c&r handguns are treated just like new handguns, except for the HQL requirement.

Did you acquire all your handguns out of state, or import them?

If none of your handguns were purchased in Maryland on a Form 77r, then perhaps you have nothing in the database/registry showing you already own handguns. In that case, it's understandable that they might be confused, Even then, your FFL should satisfy them.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Like most, I rarely have the money to buy more than 1 gun a month if I wanted. I got the letter anyway, just because. 2 pistols in 1 month with a 60 day wait in between is great for most people, if that. Pretty sure that is still allowed.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    You really only need the Designated Collector Status if you want to buy more than one handgun in a 30 day period. It serves absolutely no purpose otherwise.
    In 2013 many ffl's were granting 8 day release to customers who had the collectors letter while the MSP were taking months to give their not dissaproved. They came in handy then.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    In 2013 many ffl's were granting 8 day release to customers who had the collectors letter while the MSP were taking months to give their not dissaproved. They came in handy then.

Yup. That's the only time I almost used mine, in nine years.

But that's not their purpose. I think their real purpose is as Cred for the MDS Cool Guys Club.

Perhaps we should have a special secret restricted forum for Designated Collectors.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    12 in a year is pretty serious for most people. But it would always seem that you would stumble upon a bucket list pistol a week or two after a previous purchase . So it's flexibility of timing .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I went through a short period of one handgun a week.

It just some great deals on things I wanted.

Of course, I purchased nothing for quite a while.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When did you get it?

In the past, they did not required HQL. Far enough back there was no HQL. :)

And even past the HQL date, they were giving the letter to those without one, and without a regulated purchase.

But things changed.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    When did you get it?

In the past, they did not required HQL. Far enough back there was no HQL. :)

And even past the HQL date, they were giving the letter to those without one, and without a regulated purchase.

But things changed.

I had purchased 3 lowers prior to requesting a designated collectors letter, but I finally got my HQL 6 months ago. I got my DC letter 18 months ago.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I went through a short period of one handgun a week.

It just some great deals on things I wanted.

Of course, I purchased nothing for quite a while.

That is largely why I got one. That and in case some law is going to change and I decide I need to buy 5 lowers at once or something to finish collecting a lifetime supply. I don’t want to wait until the law is already on the books and I am facing down October 1.

Or in the very small off chance there is some great deal and I want to save on transfer fees so I am ordering 2 or 3 of something at one time. The law may allow for 2 in 60 days for things like estate sales and taking advantage of discounts and I haven’t had an FFL give me any issues at all about buying or transferring 2 lowers at one time either before or after I got a DC letter, but a little butt covering in case I decided to and the FFL wasn’t cool with 2 at a time and no letter.

But a lot more in case I buy something and lo and behold some member is selling something I need to have, or there is some awesome sale or something so I don’t either have to miss it, or try to convince whomever to hold it or still honor the price for 1-29 days until I am in the clear again.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Like most, I rarely have the money to buy more than 1 gun a month if I wanted. I got the letter anyway, just because. 2 pistols in 1 month with a 60 day wait in between is great for most people, if that. Pretty sure that is still allowed.

After not buying any regulated firearms for 3 or 4 years, i bought 2 handguns in 2013 and 2 lowers. I didn't intend to ever get my HQL. Figured I'd just do C&R...maybe straight to me via 03 FFL. But by the end of Oct 2013, I began to see deals on used handguns at prices I hadn't seen in 10 years. I bought a total of 6 from end of Nov 2013 (right after getting the HQL) until Feb 2014. The first purchase was an Uberti Cattleman at a near giveaway price and a S&W 629 for just $600....at the same time. I guess people had difficulty selling anything and sellers took what they could get during that time. After several months giveaway prices on used guns began to subside...but prices still were better than they had been prior to Oct 2013

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually for part of summer 2013 , I got screaming deals on revolvers and single stacks , because the initial rush was for so-call high capacity . ( I know , but that was the market perceptions .)

As things got down to the wire , pressure went up on everything handgun .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom