• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sharadeth

Oct 11, 2011
    Well to the original topic, the 1911 is definitively a great platform that is easy to shoot well for a lot of people but I kinda feel like the marines are like the people doing that "hipster" thing trying to be different even though there are a lot of others like them. Don't mistake what I'm saying because I have all the respect in the world for them but I do feel they try a bit to hard sometimes :)

terpsfan59

Apr 7, 2010
    Well to the original topic, the 1911 is definitively a great platform that is easy to shoot well for a lot of people but I kinda feel like the marines are like the people doing that "hipster" thing trying to be different even though there are a lot of others like them. Don't mistake what I'm saying because I have all the respect in the world for them but I do feel they try a bit to hard sometimes :)

They have no reason to do the "Hipster" thing. The last time I checked they were one of the best fighting units in the world. If they are looking at this as a viable alternative I'm sure it has been debated. And the article if I'm not mistaken did not say all Marines but special forces and Recon Marines.

Sharadeth

Oct 11, 2011
    They have no reason to do the "Hipster" thing. The last time I checked they were one of the best fighting units in the world. If they are looking at this as a viable alternative I'm sure it has been debated. And the article if I'm not mistaken did not say all Marines but special forces and Recon Marines.

Please I think you have mistaken what I said for something else. They are indeed incredible at what they do but they had to get that way from delineating themselves from the other branches. They started off as essentially the bottom of the barrel pick of soldiers (their 1812 recruitment flyers basically said anybody that wasn't mentally insane or have a specific form of leprosy) and needed to do something to change that so they took a que from their navy cousins and did the rifleman role for each grunt first an this has worked well since. I simply said that because of this I feel like they as both individuals and as a whole deliberately try to differentiate themselves from others. Not that it is a bad thing but it is there. As for the 1911 I'm sure it will fill the role that they need it too without a doubt but since we have no details of what they need it for it still leaves the possibility open that they want it because they can no matter how unlikely that may be :D

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Ok, we all know the 1911 will never be as reliable or beautiful as my .45 HiPoint. BUT........if I was to consider stepping down to a 1911, what would be a good quality entry level 1911? I don't need all the bells and whistles, super finishes, etc. Just a simple pull the trigger/go bang evertime. I won't be match shooting or taking it into combat ( I hope). I read good reviews on the Norinco 1911's saying they function reliably, but aren't much to look at, like an AK. Any pointers to someone looking to buy one of these paperweights?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Ok, we all know the 1911 will never be as reliable or beautiful as my .45 HiPoint. BUT........if I was to consider stepping down to a 1911, what would be a good quality entry level 1911? I don't need all the bells and whistles, super finishes, etc. Just a simple pull the trigger/go bang evertime. I won't be match shooting or taking it into combat ( I hope). I read good reviews on the Norinco 1911's saying they function reliably, but aren't much to look at, like an AK. Any pointers to someone looking to buy one of these paperweights?

The Norinco 1911's haven't been imported in a while due to Clinton. You will find only used Norinco models.

Rock Island Armory Tactical Model is a nice entry level gun. STI has a "hybrid" gun, some of the guts are STI, the rest is imported from RIA. That model is called the Spartan. If you can afford more $$, S&W makes some nice 1911s.

Some folks like the Remington R1. I have never handled one, so i can't say anything good or bad about them.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

Oh God, I think you just hit the MDS self destruct button.

Sirex