• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    3 - You still have not answered the question of why the 1911 is the best combat handgun in the world -- that's the issue in this thread. I'd love to hear what you have to say, if anything.

You seem to be hard of hearing. Like I said, do a search.

The whole 1911 versus other guns is a tired subject, and has been discussed a million times on here and other forums. Everyone has a ninja friend that swears by or swears at any particular gun you can name. The third and fourth person stories and myths that get repeated over and over again as fact get old.

Put up or shut up for a head to head test.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    You seem to be hard of hearing. Like I said, do a search.

So you will not say why you think 1911s are better then every modern handgun design? I am supposed to search and figure it out for myself? :rolleyes: If you are going to say that my opinion lacks a basis, the very least you can do is say why.

The whole 1911 versus other guns is a tired subject, and has been discussed a million times on here and other forums.

Agreed... and most disagree with you.

Everyone has a ninja friend that swears by or swears at any particular gun you can name. The third and fourth person stories and myths that get repeated over and over again as fact get old.

Right back at you.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    So you will not say why you think 1911s are better then every modern handgun design? I am supposed to search and figure it out for myself? :rolleyes: If you are going to say that my opinion lacks a basis, the very least you can do is say why.

Agreed... and most disagree with you.

Right back at you.

Hope you enjoyed the board. Your stay around here will be short.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Hope you enjoyed the board. Your stay around here will be short.

Are you sayng that I will be banned because I disagreed with you? If that is the case, then I guess this is not a community that I want to belong to. I suppose time will tell.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I didnt read this thread, only skimmed up to the part I quoted. But in fairness to anyone that takes this never ending saga seriously, here's a well respected professionals opinion and research: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/12/yankee-gun-nuts/quality-1911-vs-glock-vs-taurus/

That was interesting.

Now let's add Gen 4 Glocks into the mix. I hope to buy a Glock 26, btw.

I am really curious what the 1911 numbers would be with units around $600 to $1000 in price.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Awesome! Whatever they get, I want one.
    I didn't read ALL the posts above, but in response to a couple posts, I would submit that Marines will be able to disassemble, clean, and reassemble whatever gun they have faster and more effectively than anyone. Urahhh!
    Semper Fi

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Wow, I certainly didn't intend to start a 1911 vs the world thread.

But I can't help but wonder what the Marine Corps knows that we don't that would lead them to even reconsider the 1911 for SOCOM units.

There is no BEST gun IMO. Each platform and brand brings something to the table. I guess that's why they do evals at Quantico.

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    Excellent! We finally have someone to put up, assuming you show up. Thrown, dunked, doesn't much matter to me. :innocent0

Your 1911 loose/rattle to be reliable stories tell me you are a 1911 neophyte and just repeat what you hear on the internet.

Your friend may be a certified badass, or he might be a figment of your imagination. On the internet everyone's a Navy Seal. :rolleyes:

Well if you would like to meet my friend he is teaching a pistol class tomorrow. If you would be willing to take the class we can do the test right after ( no cleaning). Im sure it's a long drive for you but if you want to come I'll pay for half of your fee. So let me know. Send me a PM if you would like the class details

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Are you sayng that I will be banned because I disagreed with you? If that is the case, then I guess this is not a community that I want to belong to. I suppose time will tell.

Apparently so; if you review the forum rules, you will find that claiming that "the 1911 is not the world's best combat pistol" falls under "Personal Attack" and "Racially Offensive Material."

:rolleyes:

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    I like 1911's!
    Haven' ever owned one long enough to learn too much about them.:sad20:
    They do seem to have LOT's of parts, a more simplified gun makes more sense to me, it would have less to go wrong, and less parts to loose when field stripping. As an example only, on a Makarov the slide, and firing pin can be removed for cleaning in under 20 seconds, and reassemble in the same time. You would have the gun in four pieces, less to misplace.
    Course if you really don't need to field strip often, it may be a moot point. Any thoughts?

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Here is my summary of all the talk on this thread:

"MY PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS!!! BLAH, BLAH, BLAH..."

Sometimes the bickering on these threads turns me off visiting the forum at all.

Thanks for the article OP! I'm a big fan of 1911s, and if they do go with one I will be sure to buy it... and suppress it FTW!

:D:thumbsup:

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    My take is if the Marines go 1911 they will have a tried and true gun. Me personally, I don't carry on for my own defense. I own a 1911, well a couple, and love shooting them. They are reliable and accurate. My problem is in a high stress situation they require a little more thought then newer designs. They also don't carry as many rounds. If my life or lives of others depend on my use of a side arm, I want EVERY, advantage I can get. In a combat situation you may face numerous threats, and carrying more rounds in the mag means less time out of the fight to reload. To sum it up, it has nothing to do with reliability or accuracy, as the 1911 can perform, but more about rounds in the mag and the KISS idea of having a gun with minimal parts and controls.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im as critical of modern 1911's as anyone can get but a true Milspec 1911 (Made with quality parts) will outlast any modern wondergun. Trbon8 is correct.

You guys saying the modern polymer guns are better sound just like the fools who say guns like the ACR, SCAR, ect...........are better than the AR/M16 because they read some torture test in a magazine, on the internet or a friend of a friend who is a SEAL. :lol2:

Yeah, when you compare your S.A. 1911 to a TRUE G.I. SPEC 1911 its definately NOT THE SAME THING.

When you compare your Bushmaster M4 to a Colt MILSPEC M4 its NOT THE SAME THING.

Quality of parts mean something, having a SPEC means something. Maintenance means something as well, so comparing a shot out Colt M4 that was abused by overcleaning to a NIB factory SCAR its not the same thing. Its not a tru test when you give a weapon low marks when the magazine is the failure point in a test. It means it time to adopt a better mag and leave the evolved gun alone.

Im sure people will also will claim "Their M4" was a POS, well It may have been, using suspect mags, past poor maintenance and the slew of idiots using an unauthorized lube like Miltec will cause unintended function.

I love how people who likely need a book or youtube video to put together their "Wonder" poly gun, or even a 1911 are "experts".

See how well your favored SUV runs when you pour bleach in the gas tank. Oh, but dont complain when it dont run or say "Its Unreliable".

A 1911 built to the Govt or better standards can meet or beat every modern polymer handgun out there when proper materials and quality are utilized. They will be as reliable if not more, and outlast any competitor in round count.

If capacity is important then the 1911 does lose that battle, but it makes up for it with a long service record. The 1911 does also not suppress well either but that can be resolved with a kit (Taller sights, Recoil Assy, and Threaded Barrel/Bushing).

There are examples of 1911's that have an excess of 500,000 rounds. I wouldnt bet money a Glock or HK would last that long, the frame rails would have broken off or worn so badly lockup would be effected.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Im as critical of modern 1911's as anyone can get but a true Milspec 1911 (Made with quality parts) will outlast any modern wondergun. Trbon8 is correct.

You guys saying the modern polymer guns are better sound just like the fools who say guns like the ACR, SCAR, ect...........are better than the AR/M16 because they read some torture test in a magazine, on the internet or a friend of a friend who is a SEAL. :lol2:

Yeah, when you compare your S.A. 1911 to a TRUE G.I. SPEC 1911 its definately NOT THE SAME THING.

When you compare your Bushmaster M4 to a Colt MILSPEC M4 its NOT THE SAME THING.

Quality of parts mean something, having a SPEC means something. Maintenance means something as well, so comparing a shot out Colt M4 that was abused by overcleaning to a NIB factory SCAR its not the same thing. Its not a tru test when you give a weapon low marks when the magazine is the failure point in a test. It means it time to adopt a better mag and leave the evolved gun alone.

Im sure people will also will claim "Their M4" was a POS, well It may have been, using suspect mags, past poor maintenance and the slew of idiots using an unauthorized lube like Miltec will cause unintended function.

I love how people who likely need a book or youtube video to put together their "Wonder" poly gun, or even a 1911 are "experts".

See how well your favored SUV runs when you pour bleach in the gas tank. Oh, but dont complain when it dont run or say "Its Unreliable".

A 1911 built to the Govt or better standards can meet or beat every modern polymer handgun out there when proper materials and quality are utilized. They will be as reliable if not more, and outlast any competitor in round count.

If capacity is important then the 1911 does lose that battle, but it makes up for it with a long service record. The 1911 does also not suppress well either but that can be resolved with a kit (Taller sights, Recoil Assy, and Threaded Barrel/Bushing).

There are examples of 1911's that have an excess of 500,000 rounds. I wouldnt bet money a Glock or HK would last that long, the frame rails would have broken off or worn so badly lockup would be effected.

Well put sir.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    clandestine said:

I'm a relatively new 1911 owner of a USGI gun and have only put about 200 rounds through mine so far, but I will agree with Chad's statements. The fit and tolerance is definitely on par with the best handguns I've ever held. I know some people scoff at shooting these, but it works fine for me and has fed, shot, and ejected perfectly so far. The only thing I need to master now is my grip to avoid the hammer from raking the web of my hand on each shot (I'm used to holding handguns deep in the hand with my thumbs at the very top of the slides).

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Better reliability according to whom?

Higher capacity? Can you hit what you shoot at or not? The 1911 has the best trigger of any semi auto handgun ever invented and enables the shooter to hit what he is shooting at better than any other autoloader which is why it is top dog.

As far as easier takedown and cleaning goes, if you have trouble disassembling or cleaning a 1911, you don't belong anywhere near a handgun, period.

Capacity: We are not talking about home defense with on intruder, we are talking about Marines in combat with multiple targets - so yes higher capacity (as in 15 round in the FN 45) would be better

Trigger- Marines are not taking target practice with their pistol. Most of the time they are using rifles, if they go to their pistol, it's probably close combant and they don't need to fire 5 rounds in one hole at 25 yds.
    How about lighter and less corrosion resistant

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom