House Bill 159 Weapon-Free Higher Education Zone - Floor Debate Tomorrow the 8th

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Don't some of the schools permit students to store firearms in a centralized location? I thought I read that somewhere last year.

Obviously, thus bill also straps the right of private institutions to make their own policies.

As much as I hate the law, it actually doesn't.

(6) A PERSON CARRYING OR POSSESSING A FIREARM ON THE PROPERTY OF A PUBLIC INSTITUTION OF HIGHER EDUCATION WHO IS REQUIRED OR AUTHORIZED BY POLICIES OF THE PUBLIC INSTITUTION OF HIGHER EDUCATION TO POSSESS A FIREARM; OR

That is one of the exceptions.

So, say, Frostburg, had a written policy that students were allowed to check a firearm with Campus police and then check it out for the purposes of hunting, it would still be allowed on University property under those circumstances. Same thing if the campus had a shooting range/club. No idea if any of them do, but Penn State does/did.

Just because there is a sensible exception to a HORRIBLE law doesn't make it a good law, but we should engage with the law based on what it really is saying.

It absolutely criminalizes incidental possession which is ridiculously more likely than a K-12 school. As mentioned, in several comments as the state university systems is more than just the main campuses.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    This sums up what's wrong with SB 159

do-something.jpg

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Two questions (maybe 3):

I have a small apartment building. If I rent only to students, and I have done that, does this law apply there?

What is University of Maryland property? Roads? I've been ticketed by college police on roads which I assumed were owned by the state or county.

Can we get someone under the Sunshine law to ask for the definition of property covered under this law and a list of the properties affected?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On the first, one of the exemptions of the law is private property rented to the university. So #1 would be okay. The others no idea. Slightly smarter language would just ban it within facilities owned by the state unviersity system unless permitted by policy or with a W&C permit. IE driving through campus is fine, out in your car is fine. Carrying it in to a building not so much.

Whatever, the whole thing is stupid. Someone intent on committing a crime with a gun isn't going to be dissuaded by the law nor stopped by it.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Two questions (maybe 3):

I have a small apartment building. If I rent only to students, and I have done that, does this law apply there?

What is University of Maryland property? Roads? I've been ticketed by college police on roads which I assumed were owned by the state or county.

Can we get someone under the Sunshine law to ask for the definition of property covered under this law and a list of the properties affected?

What about U of MD extension projects? The University of Maryland Agriculture dept has dozens of ag extension offices scattered throughout the state on private farms and on public forest land...if firearms are banned that would mean no hunting

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Reminder that should these bills become law, being caught on campus with a firearm would be a prohibiting offense if convicted. Sponsors of the bill are not satisfied with making this a penalty that doesn't incur that penalty.

Campuses are large. They own property all over.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Very interesting testimony from the NAACP.

Notes that many in Baltimore have no idea they're breaking the law. Notes that guns used in baltimore city crime are not acquired or carried legally.
    Would rather have an information campaign versus this bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom