• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Law of Self Defense

Know the Law
    Dec 17, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Hey folks,

I just wanted to drop a note to let you know I'm covering the George Zimmerman trial down in Florida for one of the internet's largest legal blogs, Legal Insurrection.

Some of you may know me as a lawyer with a practice specializing in the law of self defense, others as that guy who shoots the IDPA matches wearing a suit jacket along with his cargo pants.

In any case, if you're tired of the incredibly biased mainstream media coverage (or should I call it mis-coverage) of the Zimmerman case, consider taking a look at my coverage of the trial and analysis of the legal issues, all from the perspective of a gun guy who has CCW'd every day of his adult life.

It is, of course, all entirely free, and Legal Insurrection doesn't sell anything.

Past coverage (up through last night's daily wrap-up post) can be found here: http://bit.ly/15KXK1a

Today's live coverage will be added to that list when Court goes into session at 9AM.

Thanks for your consideration!

Andrew

Law of Self Defense

Know the Law
    Dec 17, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Can you put up a regular URL, instead of the bit.ly URL?

Oh, sure, sorry about that. I'm online a lot with my smarphone and stuff like Twitter where keeping things brief is a big help.

The full URL for Legal Insurrection is simply: www.legalinsurrection.com. It's one of the largest, if not the largest, law-based blogs on the internet.

The full URL for a list of my posts there, including the daily live coverage posts and the daily wrap-up posts, is:

http://legalinsurrection.com/author/law-of-self-defense/

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This might be a bit off topic, but why is he being tried in the first place?

The stand your ground law has a large enough group against it.

The main reason the issue is complicated, that George Zimmerman could initially considered be the agressor, although he disengaged when told to do so.

If you are ever in a self-defense scenario, you always want to be the victim per se. Anything you do to antagonize the situation, you will have a long drawn out case like Zimmerman until the truth is examined in excruciatingly minute detail.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    The stand your ground law has a large enough group against it.

The main reason the issue is complicated, that George Zimmerman could initially considered be the agressor, although he disengaged when told to do so.

If you are ever in a self-defense scenario, you always want to be the victim per se. Anything you do to antagonize the situation, you will have a long drawn out case like Zimmerman until the truth is examined in excruciatingly minute detail.

O'Mara's stated defense is self-defense, not SYG.

He spoke at GRPC 2012 about self-defense, but didn't address specifics of the trial.

Protecting The Right To Protect

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    Not sure how Zimmerman is an aggressor when he didn't lay a hand on Martin, nor did he threaten or detain him.

In any case, Florida law expressly states that even if you are the aggressor, if you try to end the combat and the other party still tries to beat you down you are entitled to use force to protect yourself. Zimmerman was not an aggressor trying to end a combat he started, since there was no combat. I don't understand why there is a trial given that.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Not sure how Zimmerman is an aggressor when he didn't lay a hand on Martin, nor did he threaten or detain him.

In any case, Florida law expressly states that even if you are the aggressor, if you try to end the combat and the other party still tries to beat you down you are entitled to use force to protect yourself. Zimmerman was not an aggressor trying to end a combat he started, since there was no combat. I don't understand why there is a trial given that.

I said "could be considered", depends from which side you are looking at it from. Zimmerman was on the phone with 911 following Martin. Until guidance was given by the 911 dispatcher.

This is exactly my point; there will be lots of very well paid people trying to discern the truth, when it's not a clear cut self defense scenario.

Law of Self Defense

Know the Law
    Dec 17, 2010
    Boston, MA
    I said "could be considered", depends from which side you are looking at it from.

There's no question in my mind that the prosecution will try this avenue. It's why the misinformation campaign has placed so much emphasis on the narrative that Zimmerman "chased Martin down."

The trick is that there's no evidentiary bases for such a claim. Not one witness, not one shred of proof that Zimmerman didn't anything more than position himself to keep Martin under observation why he talked in the police.

I expect we're going to see the defense doing a lot of objecting about "facts not in evidence."

Andrew

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    There's no question in my mind that the prosecution will try this avenue. It's why the misinformation campaign has placed so much emphasis on the narrative that Zimmerman "chased Martin down."

The trick is that there's no evidentiary bases for such a claim. Not one witness, not one shred of proof that Zimmerman didn't anything more than position himself to keep Martin under observation why he talked in the police.

I expect we're going to see the defense doing a lot of objecting about "facts not in evidence."

Andrew

The only thing I can think will help the prosecutor is the 911 tape recording, using Zimmermans own voice against him.

They might have some bizarre voice analysis expert that would swear to all kinds of crazy stuff.

Law of Self Defense

Know the Law
    Dec 17, 2010
    Boston, MA
    The only thing I can think will help the prosecutor is the 911 tape recording, using Zimmermans own voice against him.

They might have some bizarre voice analysis expert that would swear to all kinds of crazy stuff.

I did a thorough analysis of the expert witnesses of both the State and the defense on this case--they had a several-day Frye hearing on the matter. The 911 analysis is a joke. Take a look at what the experts actually had to say and then you tell me whether or not the State's experts where shown to be a pair of loons:

Zimmerman Case: Dr. Hirotaka Nakasone, FBI, and the low-quality 3-second audio file
    http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/0...-fbi-and-the-low-quality-3-second-audio-file/

Zimmerman Prosecution’s Voice Expert admits: “This is not really good evidence”
    http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/0...pert-admits-this-is-not-really-good-evidence/

Zimmerman Case: Experts Call State’s Scream Claims “Absurd” “Ridiculous” and “Imaginary Stuff”
    http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/0...called-absurd-ridiculous-and-imaginary-stuff/

It's all based on the experts' own quotes in testimony (or "experts", if we're talking about Tom Owens or Alan Reich). By the third day the defense expert witnesses were LOLing at the absurd claims of the State's witnesses.

The proof is in the pudding, as one of the defense witnesses put it, and the State's pudding stinks.

If the State's expert witnesses testify at trial like they did at the Frye-hearing (assuming they're allowed to testify by the Court in the first place) they will be annihilated in cross-examination.

Andrew

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It's all theatre for the jury box, it's up to them to decide zimmermans fate.

Hopefully, the judge will not let it get out of hand.

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    If the State's expert witnesses testify at trial like they did at the Frye-hearing (assuming they're allowed to testify by the Court in the first place) they will be annihilated in cross-examination.
    I'd bet the state doesn't bring that evidence to trial. They've already tainted the jury pool claiming they have audio proving Zimmerman's guilt.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It was my understanding from what I read that when Zimmerman initially called it in, the police told him to back off and only observe. It sounds to me like he tried to take matters into his own hands, THEN got attacked, and was forced to try to defend himself against a younger, stronger, faster person who was intent on beating the snot out of him.

Some will argue that it was fists against guns, but I remember seeing this on TV - this female officer, Michelle Jeter, almost died from those punches, or at least that's how it was portrayed on TV.

[YT]SafZ1Bu3oqI[/YT]

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom