• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    So that makes it part of the enforcement arm of the State Government, somehow that doesn't give me a warm feeling.

I'm paraphrasing here but I believe it was Charlie Beckwith (founder of Delta Force) who said "When it's your ass on the line, you shouldn't trust strangers."

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    I'm paraphrasing here but I believe it was Charlie Beckwith (founder of Delta Force) who said "When it's your ass on the line, you shouldn't trust strangers."

Hence my previous comments on tribe, when the SHTF if you don't already have it you probably won't get it.

VFP

Nov 22, 2012
    So that makes it part of the enforcement arm of the State Government, somehow that doesn't give me a warm feeling.
    So how does joining a (title 32) militia, under a SHTF situation, where the militia is state run, sanctioned, controlled, and directed, more likely than not, at its own citizens, work to the benefit of the individual trying to protect life, liberty, and property? Just courious...

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    The MDDF is unarmed, so being directed at the citizens, or at anyone, is unlikely. It's a support force for Maryland and the MDNG. It is not a Militia to join for a SHTF situation, IMO. Joining them is a great way to support your State and our soldiers that fight oversees. I've been in for over six years and enjoy it.

CRT's are out there, as previously posted, but I have my issues with them. At this point, I don't see an option for a scenario that would pit the US military against the citizens. IMO the best option is to train with a core group of people you trust and become proficient in small unit tactics.

Doug Hile

Aug 21, 2010
    bottom of St Marys
    Wow,, ok,,, I waded thru most of this thread,,, and notice that Don Dwyer doesn't have a website or a face book page, anymore,,, so,,,,Is there a Maryland Militia,,, or not?

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    CRT's are out there, as previously posted, but I have my issues with them. At this point, I don't see an option for a scenario that would pit the US military against the citizens. IMO the best option is to train with a core group of people you trust and become proficient in small unit tactics.

:thumbsup:

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    I doubt the law that forbids all but a "state-sanctioned militia" has ever been tested in court.

I don't see how any government entity can preempt the right of the people.

They do it all the time. As Levin puts it: "We live in a post-Constitutional era."

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    You Sure? I knew some members back about fifteen years ago who might disagree with you,,,

I'm speaking in regards to any effort or feasibility study done by Don Dwyer and myself. I am not and never was involved in any militia.

Of course there have been militias in Maryland.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Wow,, ok,,, I waded thru most of this thread,,, and notice that Don Dwyer doesn't have a website or a face book page, anymore,,, so,,,,Is there a Maryland Militia,,, or not?

I believe the term militia is illegal in this state, as stated before there are a lot of CRT groups out there for better or worse. Look at that facebook page. I've followed a few evaluating whether to participate...

FWIW and IMO if you are looking for a group to work with for self defense and support look to your immediate left and right. Hopefully there is a spouse or relative you can start with, BFFL etc. If you run into some dude in multicams with Colonel on his nametag, unless he was an actual commissioned officer, he's selling popcorn for the cub-scouts and I'd walk away. Most of them are gun nuts and yes I'll use that term and only about 5% of those could run 20 yards in their kit. You want a group? start your own.

If you want to join one ask them one question, "Would any one of the members be willing to go to prison for you?" if they laugh at you, walkaway.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

There never was a militia.

I believe the term militia is illegal in this state, as stated before there are a lot of CRT groups out there for better or worse. Look at that facebook page. I've followed a few evaluating whether to participate...

FWIW and IMO if you are looking for a group to work with for self defense and support look to your immediate left and right. Hopefully there is a spouse or relative you can start with, BFFL etc. If you run into some dude in multicams with Colonel on his nametag, unless he was an actual commissioned officer, he's selling popcorn for the cub-scouts and I'd walk away. Most of them are gun nuts and yes I'll use that term and only about 5% of those could run 20 yards in their kit. You want a group? start your own.

If you want to join one ask them one question, "Would any one of the members be willing to go to prison for you?" if they laugh at you, walkaway.

The correct answer to is there a Maryland Militia, the correct answer is yes. According to state law ( Public Safety Article 13 ) it is essentially all residents of the state (see exact law below)

13-202. Membership; exemptions; waiver of exemptions

(a) Membership. -- Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, the militia consists of able-bodied individuals who are:

(1) citizens of the State;

(2) citizens of the United States who take an oath of allegiance to the State; or

(3) of foreign birth and who:

(i) are residents of the State; and

(ii) have declared their intention to become citizens of the State.

(b) Exemptions. -- Subject to subsection (c) of this section, an individual is exempt from subsection (a) of this section if the individual:

(1) is exempted by the laws of the United States;

(2) is exempted by the laws of the State;

(3) is a member of a regularly organized fire or police department in a county, city, village, or town;

(4) is a judge or clerk of a court of record;

(5) is a register of wills and deeds;

(6) is a sheriff;

(7) is a member of the clergy;

(8) is a practicing physician;

(9) is a superintendent, officer, or assistant of a hospital or correctional facility;

(10) has been judged mentally incompetent;

(11) is addicted to narcotic drugs; or

(12) has been convicted of an infamous crime.

(c) Waiver of exemptions. -- An individual exempted under subsection (b)(3) through (12) of this section shall be available for military duty in case of war, insurrection, or invasion, or when the danger of war, insurrection, or invasion is imminent.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    The correct answer to is there a Maryland Militia, the correct answer is yes. According to state law ( Public Safety Article 13 ) it is essentially all residents of the state (see exact law below)

13-202. Membership; exemptions; waiver of exemptions

(a) Membership. -- Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, the militia consists of able-bodied individuals who are:

(1) citizens of the State;

(2) citizens of the United States who take an oath of allegiance to the State; or

(3) of foreign birth and who:

(i) are residents of the State; and

(ii) have declared their intention to become citizens of the State.

(b) Exemptions. -- Subject to subsection (c) of this section, an individual is exempt from subsection (a) of this section if the individual:

(1) is exempted by the laws of the United States;

(2) is exempted by the laws of the State;

(3) is a member of a regularly organized fire or police department in a county, city, village, or town;

(4) is a judge or clerk of a court of record;

(5) is a register of wills and deeds;

(6) is a sheriff;

(7) is a member of the clergy;

(8) is a practicing physician;

(9) is a superintendent, officer, or assistant of a hospital or correctional facility;

(10) has been judged mentally incompetent;

(11) is addicted to narcotic drugs; or

(12) has been convicted of an infamous crime.

(c) Waiver of exemptions. -- An individual exempted under subsection (b)(3) through (12) of this section shall be available for military duty in case of war, insurrection, or invasion, or when the danger of war, insurrection, or invasion is imminent.

That's nice, and when mustered who do they report to?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    That's nice, and when mustered who do they report to?

That is sort of described the next section (see below) The organized militia would report to their organized organizations while the unorganized militia does not currently need to report to anyone. In 1942 they were summoned by the gov. see https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-to-homeland-defense/?utm_term=.4d602fcb974f

13-203. Organized and unorganized militia

(a) Classes. -- There are two classes of State militia:

(1) the organized militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia.

(b) Organized militia. -- The organized militia of the State consists of:

(1) the National Guard;

(2) the Inactive National Guard; and

(3) the Maryland Defense Force.

(c) Unorganized militia. -- The unorganized militia consists of those individuals described under ง 13-202 of this subtitle but who are not regularly enlisted or commissioned in the organized militia.

Md. Militia

I kinda like the idea of the "Book Club" someone brought up! :lol2: Some good points have been made and I think the best points have been stated. If your serious start one yourself, only trust people you already know i.e. a close circle of friends. And for gods sake, living in this state don't ever post anything on this idiot box. I don't think the state guard is any kind of viable option for becoming tactically proficient. But if you have a penchant for dressing up in camo, thrive on regulation quoting wackers and standing formations addressing people by erroneous ranks it might be just the ticket......I think our biggest threat that we need be concerned with is civil unrest. What with the Muslim immigrant situation, Trump protesters, the new armed black panthers and now ANTIFA it's not getting any safer out there. But I'm preaching to the choir. Stay safe!
    Hmmm the western Maryland Military book club! LMAO:lol2:.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The number One rule about forming a Militia is ( you know).

The number Two rule is : Whoever brings it up first is The Informant.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The number One rule about forming a Militia is ( you know).

The number Two rule is : Whoever brings it up first is The Informant.

No posts by the OP since April 4, 2013. 30 posts total. Looks like you nailed it. Can you spell "agent provocateur"?
    (Can I?)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    No posts by the OP since April 4, 2013. 30 posts total. Looks like you nailed it. Can you spell "agent provocateur"?
    (Can I?)

And from Sykesville MD.

Probably just doing a homework assignment or an extra credit project.

Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions
    6852 4th Street
    Sykesville, MD 21784
    410-875-3400

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom