• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Some guys at work were saying you can no longer take whole deer, just boneless meat, from Md to an out of state butchers. Has anyone else heard this or know if it's true or not? I know a lot of people in Harford who usually take their deer to shops in Pa. I'm going to poke around the dnr site and see what I can find.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Some guys at work were saying you can no longer take whole deer, just boneless meat, from Md to an out of state butchers. Has anyone else heard this or know if it's true or not? I know a lot of people in Harford who usually take their deer to shops in Pa. I'm going to poke around the dnr site and see what I can find.

Maryland is a chronic wasting disease state.

Deer should be processed before travelling across state lines.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/chronic-wasting-disease/

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ive been out bow hunting, passed on a couple deer. Ive seen close to a dozen, but right now we are in the transition portion where its closed till 10 Oct. then rifle season starts!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Thanks,I saw that but it seems to cover bringing deer from out of state into Md. Looks like I have to look up Pa regs or call a shop in Pa. I'm in Harford Co and so far no CWD here.

It looks like a "NO".

Why are there restrictions on the movement of high-risk parts?

Regulations prohibit the removal or export from any Disease Management Area (DMA) established within the Commonwealth any high-risk parts or materials resulting from cervids harvested, taken, or killed, including by vehicular accident, within any Disease Management Area. Regulations also prohibit the importation of any high-risk parts or materials from cervids harvested, taken, or killed in other areas where CWD has been detected. Although CWD has been detected in both captive and free ranging deer, the Game Commission's goal continues to be to prevent further introductions of CWD into our state and to prevent spread within the state. The movement of high-risk carcass parts is a potential avenue through which CWD could be spread. Many states, including Pennsylvania, have developed regulations to prohibit the importation of high-risk carcass parts from states and provinces with CWD infected deer.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wildlife-RelatedDiseases/Pages/ChronicWastingDisease.aspx

From where is the importation of high-risk parts prohibited? (Last update 2/2/18)

High-risk parts may not be imported in Pennsylvania from the following specific states and Canadian provinces: Alberta, Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Saskatchewan, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wil...icWastingDisease.aspx#ImportationBanLocations

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Thanks Inigoes, that must be new, that sucks I'm going to have to find another place to make deer bologna as good as Ilyes up by Leader Heights.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    who the F still hunts deer with a bow?

Uhhh, me. My crossbow has a 170 lb draw, a 5x scope, and shoots bolts almost 400 FPS. Several times i have taken two deer at once. It is quite lethal.

Oh, and no orange needed except for during firearms and ML season, and much to my wife's chagrin, i can go hunting from early September to the middle of January. I swear wives are responsible for no Sunday hunting, so they can get their husbands to do chores at least one day a week.

Then there's the sporting aspect of having to be close enough to your prey that scent and any movement is a real issue. Ive spooked plenty of deer just swinging to take the shot, or by them smelling me. Sokay, though, cause i get months and months each year to try again.....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Uhhh, me. My crossbow has a 170 lb draw, a 5x scope, and shoots bolts almost 400 FPS. Several times i have taken two deer at once. It is quite lethal.

Oh, and no orange needed except for during firearms and ML season, and much to my wife's chagrin, i can go hunting from early September to the middle of January. I swear wives are responsible for no Sunday hunting, so they can get their husbands to do chores at least one day a week.

Then there's the sporting aspect of having to be close enough to your prey that scent and any movement is a real issue. Ive spooked plenty of deer just swinging to take the shot, or by them smelling me. Sokay, though, cause i get months and months each year to try again.....

I was partly joking, but outrider set me straight awhile ago. My crossbow is only 340fps, but I am well aware of how deadly it is. Still a very short range game. Just need a lot more luck and a little more skill than still hunting with a firearm.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Today was my first hunt of the season after an 11.5 month wait. Hunted in TN south of Nashville with no time to scout. Saw 7 but they were well out of range. Moved the blind to a better location based on today's sightings...fingers crossed for next few days. Even with the hot weather & humidity it was good to be in the deer woods again!

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I am pretty sure I will be able to get out tomorrow afternoon. Finally.

We must be on the same schedule. I was out for the first time yesterday afternoon too. Saw 8 healthy does but none within shooting range. I'm heading back out again tonight and hopefully will see one of the solid bucks I saw all summer.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I took my 12 year old twins to SW VA for youth hunt weekend.

We got out at 6. The light was late due to over cast, foggy and drizzly conditions.

About 30 yards into this fog covered field, were 4 BIG mountain bucks. A 10+ and 3 8s. They were feeding and wrestling. The big boy was giving the smaller guys whatfer.

Too hazy for a clean 12 year old shot. Was awesome for the kiddos to see.

https://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=244126&stc=1&d=1538842482

Attachments

• 20180929_074455.jpg
      20180929_074455.jpg
      24.6 KB · Views: 254

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We must be on the same schedule. I was out for the first time yesterday afternoon too. Saw 8 healthy does but none within shooting range. I'm heading back out again tonight and hopefully will see one of the solid bucks I saw all summer.

In a stand now. I bumped two does on the way in where I don’t think you can hunt or I could have and would have taken shots as they both paused for a few close by. 3 big toms walked by behind my stand after I had been sitting for 10 minutes. Nothing for the last hour now other than mosquitos. Just cool enough I can cover up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom