• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    While there are certainly members on this forum that are older than me, I’m old enough to remember when gun shows were an event. The dates for the shows at Pikeville and Greenbelt were placed on the calendar and eagerly awaited.

There also were a lot more gun shops back then. They weren’t just for buying guns either. They were a place to socialize and get caught up on what was happening with firearms, hunting and what not.

For a whole host of reasons that time has passed.

It could be said the Clinton administrations activities to reduce the number of Type 01 FFL holders would be a good start. Let us not forget that prior to that the ATF use to set up at gun shows to help people get an FFL so as not to run afoul of the selling of guns without a license law.

For some time, the gun show has supplanted the gun shop as a place to buy things locally.

Prior to and during the Obama administration the number of attendees at gun shows went up exponentially. One of the results has been a dramatic increase in the number of shows. The Chantilly show as an example went from a couple of shows to seven a year. The Oaks show in Pa has four shows a year.

Between the massive spending that was done during the prior administration, less fear of adverse regulation, more shows to go to, among other things, attendance is down at all the shows.

The question is what can or should be done about it.

This past weekend at the Howard County Show I spoke with both vendors and attendees. Both groups commented about the fewer vendors and attendees. Many vendors questioned how long it can go on without business picking up. Remember the vendors aren’t there for the goodness of their heart. While there are some that do it as a hobby, more do it as a business. And if they start losing money they stop setting up at the show. A few of the attendees commented about how it was cheaper to get things online. That may apply to accessories, but one still must do firearms transactions in person.

While I don’t suggest one has to go to every show no matter how far I would suggest supporting the local ones. Bring a friend, even better one that may be sitting on the fence about firearms. If you have children, it is vitally important for them to attend. For don’t forget they are the future.

SigDog

Feb 11, 2013
    West Virginia
    Internet sales and anti-gun sentiment in the Maryland ruling class killed them here.
    Can't get good venues, can't fight low internet pricing and instant availability of what you are looking for.
    I hit the ones in York and Harrisburg occasionally and once in a great while the big one in VA.
    Deals on firearms at shows are few anymore, everything basically priced the same as on Gun Broker.
    Used to love going to a gun show, now I have to work at it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It's been five years since I've attended a Maryland gun show. Simply not worth the time, effort, and money involved.

It's not the number of vendors that show up. But the quality of the vendors that show. In my opinion, older shows were about the firearm culture in America. Vendors had lots of old stuff. Lots of C&R. Lots of antiques. And lots and lots and lots of parts bins for every firearm under the sun. Vendors used to be dyed in the wool gun folk. Now it's a lot of rude counter help folk.

It's tacti-cool retail. With an extra dose of tacti-cool retail. Followed by more tacti-cool retail sprinkled on for good measure. And when folks have seen all the tacti-cool they can stand. They can move on to the tube sock, t-shirt, bumper sticker, dried meat, and NcStar/Chinese knife vendors.

You wanna get the quality of guns shows back up in America.....Build the gun culture back up in America. Shooting! Hunting! Collecting! Etc. That will require help from the overwhelmingly vast majority of Republicans that currently control all of the US government and most of the state governments. But they're not helping. In some cases, they're a hindrance. Cuzz politicians, R, D, and I, no longer give a rats rear end about proactively supporting the Second Amendment.

No easy answers to your question, OP.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Maryland is different from surrounding states in Free America. Vendors who used to frequent Maryland gun shows no longer do...they don't want to run afoul of Maryland laws regarding the evil "assault rifle" ban or 10+ magazine ban. They also don't want to separate out of their inventory those same items just for a weekend here. To them the orange isn't worth the squeeze.

Gun shows in adjacent states seem to be doing well.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    Back in the day when I was a regular attendee at the shows there was a guy they called Top Hat that was loaded with gun supplies of all types. Does he still show up at any of the shows?

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Back in the day when I was a regular attendee at the shows there was a guy they called Top Hat that was loaded with gun supplies of all types. Does he still show up at any of the shows?

I remember him at the Upper Marlboro and MoCo Fair sites with fond memories. I also remember a guy who would sharpen knives for you for 3 or 4 bucks a pop. I understand that the knife guy passed away. Fond memories indeed...

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    Top Hat died. I thought someone took it over, but I don't see them.

Top hat did not die. I know someone who talking to him this weekend, he was asking how the show was going. He sold a lot of his inventory to the promoter who runs the other Maryland shows and his girlfriend was selling off the stuff. Top hat still does shows just not in Maryland anymore.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The inbetween phenomenon smaller shows ( think firehouse, VFW hall, Nat'l Gaurd Armory ) dying out , replaced by medium-large to huge shows .

Each promoter looks at the same calendar, and guestimates similar times to hold a show , and reach similar conclusions . So you end up with back to back to back shows with overlapping customer drawing areas .

Ideally increase the total combined attendance . With steady-ish overall attendance , stagger the dates farther apart instead of clustering . And I see an opening for return of smaller , independent shows .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I used to love going to gun shows, in many case I will hold off on buying stuff online in order to see, handle, and buy them locally, even willing to pay a little bit of a premium to do so, but I'm not willing to treat a gun shop as a charity case, paying 20% or more compared to online gun shops. Main issue is that everyone goes to a gun show to look for something specific, that their local shop doesn't have, or look for a deal competitive with online retailers, when they find neither, they might not go to the next one. One specific issue I have is their hypocritical policy for lawful carry in PA gun shows. Every show has a random "security guy" up front to check, unload, and zip-tie firearms. I get that someone bringing a firearm to sell or check for holsters should have it cleared, but they hassle those lawfully carrying to various degrees. Some shows just ask if you have any firearms to check, but York has a real A-hole. Have seen the guy call people out, tell them to open their jacket, pointing at their hip claiming they have a gun(they usually don't), heard him tell one guy it was PA law that "It's illegal to carry on private property if the owner bans it", and other crap. Guy in Harrisburg wanted to "check for guns" in my infant's stroller, thought he was joking, he said no, really. I told him no, was about to turn around and leave if he pushed it, then the other door checker just waived us by. The Harrisburg Outdoor show is the only "gun show" I go to regularly anymore, they encourage lawful carry as an official policy.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I usually go to gun shows without a specific agenda , to see what I find that is intresting and unusual .

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Top hat did not die. I know someone who talking to him this weekend, he was asking how the show was going. He sold a lot of his inventory to the promoter who runs the other Maryland shows and his girlfriend was selling off the stuff. Top hat still does shows just not in Maryland anymore.

I would like to get my facts right every once in a while...geeez...

Glad the man is still kickin'.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Haven't been to a Maryland gun show in years. They got crappy for me about 6 years ago.

The PA shows (York, Gettysburg and Harrisburg) are still enjoyable. I suspect the issue is a Maryland/Liberal East Coast thing. The gun show world is going strong in middle America from the listings and comments I've seen.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I live in Southern Maryland. There ARE no gun shows here. Everything is up Baltimore way...two hours drive each way. I can get to the Dulles or Fredericksburg shows faster, and buy more there.

I'll add that most of the gun shows are wall-to-wall 1911/Glock/AR/AK...and nothing else. The one show truly worth going to is the big Baltimore Antique Arms Show in March. THAT has some stuff worth buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom