Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Closed Thread

Old August 12th, 2010, 12:54 AM #521

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
The special restrictions will probably have to disappear, other than possibly dictating concealed carry for civilians, open carry for uniformed security. Once self-defense qualifies as "justifiable need", it would make no sense for someone to go get a restricted permit for work for example.
Its not there now...don't add it.
Prudence will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:09 AM #522
I'm a member too.

I'm a member too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles71 View Post
A little off topic but my wife told me tonight that they have a sign at the local Toy R Us stating "No firearms on the premises". She hadnt really noticed it before and we have only recently been going to Toys R Us due to our first sons birth. Since I am "always on the computer talking about guns" she told me about this.

It hadnt hit me how stupid this practice is until now. Bad Guy "Gee, I wonder what store I should rob? Maybe the one with no guns allowed."

One of the most important things I could protect would be my son and wife, makes me wonder. What will happen if this suit is won, will some businesses start to lose customers?

TD

I completely support the right of the store owner / management to refuse service to those carrying weapons. I also completely support my right to patronize establishements that don't restrict us. As far as I can see, its in their best interest, but "you can't make him drink" is still true today.

The U.S. Supreme Court broadly and unequivocally held that requiring licensing or registration of any constitutional right is itself unconstitutional. --Follett vs. Town of McCormick, S.C., 321 U.S. 573. (1944)

Note: Copied from EZLiving's sig, because it says it all.
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
I completely support the right of the store owner / management to refuse service to those carrying weapons. I also completely support my right to patronize establishements that don't restrict us. As far as I can see, its in their best interest, but "you can't make him drink" is still true today.
Yup. Cinemark at Muvico in RapeCentral (aka, Arundel Mills) has a little sign that says no guns. I'd ignore it personally, worst they can do is ask you to remove the gun or leave. Worst you can do is say no, then they can get you for trespassing and your day gets bad quick.
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM #524
Head'n for the hills

Head'n for the hills

Don't get your hopes up. This lawsuit is to deem self defense as a good and substantial reason.

This has nothing to do with the restrictions. I can see tricks being played by the MSP, to allow carry permits on your own property, or other lawful purpose already on the books. This would allow the MSP to report statistics in a light favorable to them.

Down the road, another lawsuit will be needed to take care of the restrictions.
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM #525
FBHO

FBHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles71 View Post
A little off topic but my wife told me tonight that they have a sign at the local Toy R Us stating "No firearms on the premises". She hadnt really noticed it before and we have only recently been going to Toys R Us due to our first sons birth. Since I am "always on the computer talking about guns" she told me about this.

It hadnt hit me how stupid this practice is until now. Bad Guy "Gee, I wonder what store I should rob? Maybe the one with no guns allowed."

One of the most important things I could protect would be my son and wife, makes me wonder. What will happen if this suit is won, will some businesses start to lose customers?

TD
Kind of reminds me of this:

Name:  door.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  38.0 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
people have every right not to agree with or even accept the way others live their life...however people have no right to let that dislike limit the freedom of others.
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:58 PM #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Eye View Post
SAF package came today. Nice! I love the "Home Security" sticker! I put the belt buckle in our curio cabinet, right next to my father's Smith and Wesson buckle. I thought it only fitting.
Mine came today. I didn't expect it. In the past I must have just donated and never joined.
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM #527

Quote:
Don't get your hopes up. This lawsuit is to deem self defense as a good and substantial reason.

This has nothing to do with the restrictions. I can see tricks being played by the MSP, to allow carry permits on your own property, or other lawful purpose already on the books. This would allow the MSP to report statistics in a light favorable to them.

Really? How could due process be honored if everyone has a different version of the law in thier pocket? If/when this suit is won I plan on sending a letter with my renewal requesting restrictions being lifted on the permit.

I understand the business restrictions, I am more concerned with the individual restrictions specific to each permit holder.
TD
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM #528
Pro 2A Gastronome

Send a message via AIM to yellowfin
Pro 2A Gastronome

Send a message via AIM to yellowfin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigoes View Post

That lawsuit is underway already, Palmer v. DC.
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigoes View Post

The lawsuit is not to establish self defense as a good and substantial reason. The lawsuit is to remove the requirement to show a good and substantial reason altogether, which is in and of itself unconstitutional because it gives the beaurocracy the power to deny citizens their fundamental right to keep and bear, as set forth in the 2nd Amendment and clarified as a fundamental civil right in the McDonald case.

Here is the text from the original post showing the text of the filing:
Quote:
The lawsuit alleges that “Individuals cannot be required to demonstrate that carrying a handgun is ‘necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger’ as a prerequisite for exercising their Second Amendment rights.” Plaintiffs are seeking a permanent injunction against enforcement of the Maryland provision that requires permit applicants to “demonstrate cause” for the issuance of a carry permit.

“Laws that empower bureaucrats to deny the exercise of a fundamental civil right because they cannot show good cause to exercise that right can’t possibly stand up under constitutional scrutiny,” said SAF Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “We are supporting Mr. Woollard in this action because constitutional rights trump bureaucratic whims.”
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:02 PM #530
Head'n for the hills

Head'n for the hills

Quote:
The lawsuit alleges that “Individuals cannot be required to demonstrate that carrying a handgun is ‘necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger’ as a prerequisite for exercising their Second Amendment rights.” Plaintiffs are seeking a permanent injunction against enforcement of the Maryland provision that requires permit applicants to “demonstrate cause” for the issuance of a carry permit.

“Laws that empower bureaucrats to deny the exercise of a fundamental civil right because they cannot show good cause to exercise that right can’t possibly stand up under constitutional scrutiny,” said SAF Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “We are supporting Mr. Woollard in this action because constitutional rights trump bureaucratic whims.”
Thought I would highlight it for you. The lawsuit isn't going to change the law.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Tags
woollard