• File_000.jpg
      File_000.jpg
      28.2 KB · Views: 699

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    HD? PCC?

Why not? Lots of people getting into PCCs.
    Its not that you can't use a .45 in PCC because you can. But why would you? There is no Major caliber load in PCC so a 9mm gives you higher capacity mags, lower recoil, shoots flatter, and more rapid follow-up shots. Although maybe when using the PCC in 3-gun it might be different. You can also use .40, 357 Sig, and 10mm in PCC.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Its not that you can't use a .45 in PCC because you can. But why would you? There is no Major caliber load in PCC so a 9mm gives you higher capacity mags, lower recoil, shoots flatter, and more rapid follow-up shots. Although maybe when using the PCC in 3-gun it might be different. You can also use .40, 357 Sig, and 10mm in PCC.
    Why are we discussing a two year old thread, lol?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you got a link for a .357 SIG barrel, that's still available, I could be interested.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I came across this home made AR-9 when I was traveling overseas.

Every part was hand made ( except for the plastic grips). The frame was cast from aluminum soda cans. All the other parts were made of heat treated steel. It’s a direct blowback ,selective fire smg.

Attachments

• D29086BD-256B-441D-82D5-E9FBB92907EE.jpg
      D29086BD-256B-441D-82D5-E9FBB92907EE.jpg
      29.6 KB · Views: 575

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I came across this home made AR-9 when I was traveling overseas.

Every part was hand made ( except for the plastic grips). The frame was cast from aluminum soda cans. All the other parts were made of heat treated steel. It’s a direct blowback ,selective fire smg.

That's bad-assed!

Here's my humble attempt(non select fire...). I love me some 9mm 'nannar clips'!

Attachments

• qc5.jpg
      qc5.jpg
      73.8 KB · Views: 537

Sting

Member, League the Armed
    Apr 28, 2013
    Rockville
    Required parts
    1) 7.62x39 upper
    2) 7.62x39 bolt head and firing pin
    3) Fully shrouded M16 bolt carrier
    4) 9mm buffer

Notes:
    - Cheaper bolt carrier groups will not get enough penetration for some cheaper types of ammo. A dedicated 7.62x39 bolt head and pin should fix this issue.
    - "Good magazines are also important for 7.62x39 ARs. CProducts is generally known to make good 7.62x39 AR mags. I have multibple of both 10 round and 30 CProducts mags and they work great in my AR. I do not have any other types of mags, but I have heard that not all work as well." - JKrew

Reference:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=28082

Disclaimer:
    I found this information through a few searches, if it's incorrect, please say so and I'll VERY gladly edit this post. I'm just trying to save someone else the time and hassle I've spent searching.

Is there a minimum legal barrel length for the AR9

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Standard NFA requirements for rifle/carbine, 16" barrel.

Under 16", no NFA stamp? No stock.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Standard NFA requirements for rifle/carbine, 16" barrel.

Under 16", no NFA stamp? No stock.

If NFA stamp and you don’t live in Maryland, whatever gets you to 26 inches overall length with the stock in the fully extended position to the tip of the barrel (or any permanently attached muzzle devices, they must be pinned and welded to be considered part of the OAL or barrel length).

Maryland it is 29 inches. For Maryland compliance you are looking at about a 10.5” Barrel if I remember correctly for a regular M4 adjustable carbine stock to make the 29” OAL.

Maryland ruins all the fun. My AR pistol has a 10.5” Barrel with a short flash can on it and regular padded pistol buffer tube it is 24.5” OAL.

You might get an 8 or 8.5” Barrel with a pinned and welded muzzle device with the right stock/muzzle device combo.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    7.62x40 WT

I found out about the 7.62x40 WT recently, despite the fact it has been around since 2011. A shame that it has not really taken off because it seems to meet my specific needs. A "medium power" .30 caliber on the AR platform that seems to require nothing else but a .30 caliber barrel.
    If only the ammo was cheaper. I guess you can't have everything.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I found out about the 7.62x40 WT recently, despite the fact it has been around since 2011. A shame that it has not really taken off because it seems to meet my specific needs. A "medium power" .30 caliber on the AR platform that seems to require nothing else but a .30 caliber barrel.
    If only the ammo was cheaper. I guess you can't have everything.
    It never took off because it doesn't really offer anything special that .300AAC doesn't already have. Yeah, it's got about 20% more case capacity; that's not really a game changer.

Now, if you want to discuss a round that really does off something special, .30 Rem AR is fairly spectacular. Just never took off.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Can't really compare them

It never took off because it doesn't really offer anything special that .300AAC doesn't already have. Yeah, it's got about 20% more case capacity; that's not really a game changer.

From what I understand, the .300AAC was designed to be a sub-sonic load. For that purpose it works very well. But I am looking for a modern equivalent to my Marlin 30.30. And for that the 7.62x40 WT and it's close cousin the .300 HAM'R seem to fit my needs.

Now to take care of that "price" problem....

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    From what I understand, the .300AAC was designed to be a sub-sonic load.
    Nope. It's basically 7.62x39 in supersonic mode. It's supposed to be dual-use or whatever. IMHO, you want to go super-sonic, 6.5 Grendel is where it's at on the AR platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom