• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Thread for AR caliber build info not in .223 or 5.56mm.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    9mm Build

Required parts
    1) 9mm upper receiver group
    2) 9mm magazine well adapter OR a 9mm lower receiver
    3) 9mm buffer
    4) 9mm magazines

Notes:
    - If you decide to buy an upper receiver and add a 9mm barrel, there will be no shell deflector as is normally integrated on dedicated 9mm uppers.

- For functionality it is accepted that either a ramped bolt group carrier OR a 9mm hammer is a necessity.

Reference:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=59223
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=54359

Disclaimer:
    I found this information through a few searches, if it's incorrect, please say so and I'll VERY gladly edit this post. I'm just trying to save someone else the time and hassle I've spent searching. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

If using the pro-mag mag block (which apparently is a copy of the old C-products mag block), you may have to dremmel/file down the feed ramp to accommodate the incorrect height of the ramps. I found this out with my own pro-mag block and some research on the web about common feeding issues. If you try to use it with the stock height, you'll notice rounds slamming into the ramp instead of feeding into the chamber. I'll try to post some pictures of the modified block later.

8469711940_d265f7e08f_c.jpg

8469713642_88b922c8ed_c.jpg

Last edited:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have been toying with a 458 socom or 500 beo build. I am leaning towards either a 223 or 458 pistol build just for something different.

Pistols Ar's are fun to shoot. I'm a little more than halfway through my 300 blackout pistol build now. Make sure you put a good trigger in it. The RRA pistol buffer tube along with an Magpul sling plate is a good combination and doesn't require any extra filing to hold the buffer detent.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    I have a 5.7 upper for my AR, and all it requires is buying the upper, because it comes with the barrel and everything if you get it through any supplier (best price i found was copesdistributing.net)

a buddy of mine jut did the 300 blk out, and it's cool build as well.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    7.62x39 (AR-AK, AR-47)

Required parts
    1) 7.62x39 upper
    2) 7.62x39 bolt head and firing pin
    3) Fully shrouded M16 bolt carrier
    4) 9mm buffer

Notes:
    - Cheaper bolt carrier groups will not get enough penetration for some cheaper types of ammo. A dedicated 7.62x39 bolt head and pin should fix this issue.
    - "Good magazines are also important for 7.62x39 ARs. CProducts is generally known to make good 7.62x39 AR mags. I have multibple of both 10 round and 30 CProducts mags and they work great in my AR. I do not have any other types of mags, but I have heard that not all work as well." - JKrew

Reference:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=28082

Disclaimer:
    I found this information through a few searches, if it's incorrect, please say so and I'll VERY gladly edit this post. I'm just trying to save someone else the time and hassle I've spent searching.

Last edited:

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    6.8 SPC Build"

6.8 SPC Bolt
    6.8 SPC Barrel
    6.8 SPC Magazine

Note there are two primary chambers that are available for the 6.8 SPC.

The SAMMI spec chamber with minimal throat (the one Remmington advocated) and the SPC II chamber with the longer throat.

The SPC II chamber is the closest to the chamber used by the developers of the 6.8 SPC and handles pressure much better than the SAMMI chamber. The difference is much like the difference between .223 and 5.56 chambers.

If you plan on reloading look for a barrel with a 1:11 to 1:12 twist rate with the SPC 2 chamber for maximum performance. Such a barrel will also handle SSA's 'tactical loads'.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Required parts
    1) 7.62x39 upper
    2) 7.62x39 bolt head and firing pin
    3) Fully shrouded M16 bolt carrier
    4) 9mm buffer

Notes:
    - Cheaper bolt carrier groups will not get enough penetration for some cheaper types of ammo. A dedicated 7.62x39 bolt head and pin should fix this issue.

Reference:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=28082

Disclaimer:
    I found this information through a few searches, if it's incorrect, please say so and I'll VERY gladly edit this post. I'm just trying to save someone else the time and hassle I've spent searching.

Good magazines are also important for 7.62x39 ARs. CProducts is generally known to make good 7.62x39 AR mags. I have multibple of both 10 round and 30 CProducts mags and they work great in my AR. I do not have any other types of mags, but I have heard that not all work as well.

Echo Victor

Mar 25, 2009
    Harf Co.
    I was thinking about going with 458 socom but the ammo prices (when you can find it) are just crazy. Went with 300 blackout instead. I need a gas block and a scope id it will be finished. pics to follow.....

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    6.8 SPC Build"

6.8 SPC Bolt
    6.8 SPC Barrel
    6.8 SPC Magazine

The SAMMI spec chamber with minimal throat (the one Remmington advocated) and the SPC II chamber with the longer throat.

The SPC II chamber is the closest to the chamber used by the developers of the 6.8 SPC and handles pressure much better than the SAMMI chamber. The difference is much like the difference between .223 and 5.56 chambers.

If you plan on reloading look for a barrel with a 1:11 to 1:12 twist rate with the SPC 2 chamber for maximum performance. Such a barrel will also handle SSA's 'tactical loads'.

Just thought I'd add to this. There's actually a third, not supported by many, called the 6.8x43.

Magazines are made by Barrett, PRI, and C-Products. The Barret is a true 30-round magazine, stainless steel, and cartridges must be 2.260" COAL or less to fit in Barrets. C-Product mags are basic, stainless steel magazines and hold 25, 15, and 5 rounds. The max COAL I've had work with these mags is 2.285". PRI makes stainless steel mag, 25, 15, and 5 rounds. You can load out the cartidge to 2.300" COAL. Of the three magazine makers, Barret makes the most reliable, followed by PRI and then C-Products.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    AR57 Build

Required parts
    1) AR57 Upper
    2) AR57 Magazine
    3) AR57 Buffer

Notes:
    - Yes... another super easy upper swap. To make this build a little more interesting, some folks empty out the internals of an AR mag to catch their brass since it falls out of the magwell after being fired.

- If you decide to get rail covers that aren't ladder style, be sure to check the clearance of the mag on top as the rail covers may interfere with the magazine being seated properly. (learned the hard way; some sanding is an easy but time consuming fix)

Pic (AR57 on bottom):
    6898202119_428ba05fe6_z.jpg

Reference:
    http://www.57center.com/
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=33576 (inspiration)

Disclaimer:

Last edited:

anthonyjhallen

May 16, 2011
    APG
    6.8 SPC Build"

6.8 SPC Bolt
    6.8 SPC Barrel
    6.8 SPC Magazine

What about buffer/buffer springs? Are 5.56 B/BS compatable with 6.8 uppers?

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    What about buffer/buffer springs? Are 5.56 B/BS compatable with 6.8 uppers?

Like I said, only those 3 parts are different.

You may choose to play with the buffers, for example I prefer an H2 buffer in my 6.8, but it runs fine with a standard buffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom