• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie3587

Aug 16, 2020
    DUNDALK
    Just Bought a Lower for an AR-10 .308...

Any recommendations for Barrels, Bolts, and triggers?
    Buffers

I'm going Aero Precision for the lower, upper, and handguard to prevent any fitment issues.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    That is a good start, going with both an Aero M5 upper and lower, that is what I did. I would have to look up what other components that I used.

:thumbsup:

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Toolcraft Nitride BCG
    Black Hole Weaponry 20” Standard profile barrel
    Mac gun Works Muzzel Brake
    Magpul A2 Stock and Maid grip
    ALG defense ACT trigger
    Strike industry flat wire buffer spring
    Aero Precision Rifle tube and buffer kit.
    Breek Arms War hammer charging handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    I just got done building 2 Aero Prec AR10's. I went with their parts every place I could for consistency/reliability although the parts had to be purchased from multiple different online retailers. It pissed me off to no end that I couldn't order everything in one place but I did find what was needed. And it never failed that once I ordered the parts, the next day I would get an in stock notice from Aero.
    Thrilled with the builds although they seem a little heavy.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Faxon barrels are nice. Consider a 16-18” unless you really have a need for extra velocity. Most people don’t.

I can’t comment on the .308 BCGs but toolcraft has a great reputation for .223

Aero makes great parts too

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Because AR10s run over gassed, I would recommend a good adjustable gas block. Superlative Arms is click adjustable and stays where you set it.

+1 on Faxon barrels, especially the 5R

Precision Armament M4-72 muzzle brake really makes it shoot soft.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've built up Aero M5s, have had good luck with BA and Faxon barrels, my BA 18" fluted is a tackdriver(1MOA or less with match 2MOA with cheap FMJ), and Faxon makes some of the better lightweight barrels, which can be really nice as these rifles get really heave really quick. They also have standard port locations and use standard gas tubes unlike some AR10s. I do love the ATLAS handguards, but keep in mind, if you use the QD sling pockets in it, there isn't enough clearance with heavy barrels, so if using one use a gen2 unless you want to add a QD adapter to the rail, or don't care about QD slings. 308 gas port pressure varies quite a bit, so an adjustable gas block is really nice to have, cheap wolf 7.62 need to be nearly wide open, but some match or commercial 308 needs to be choked off to tame recoil and function well especially if suppressing.

I've used nitrided Aero and Faxon bolts in M5s and a lot of AR15s, never a problem. buffers and tubes can be confusing as the bolt travels about 3/4" longer than an AR15. The only compatible sets are 10/15 rifle tubes with shorter AR10 rifle buffers, AR15 carbine tubes(6 position) with short 2.5" AR10 buffers or A5/SOME AR10 longer carbine tubes(usually 7 position) can use a standard AR15 3.25" buffer. I like H3 or rifle buffers, the 5oz+ weight makes them reliable with a wider range of ammo, less sensitive to gas settings, and generally lighter recoil.

The bolt catch area is thicker than many other AR10s, so you can use Aeros long crappy button and a standard catch, or this KAK extended catch with any AR15 mag release button. The bolt catch and takedown/pivot pins are the only other non "AR15" spec parts if you want to put togethr your own LPK, CMMG catch and pins fit the M5. Tubb or most DPMS pattern 308 buffer springs work fine. Stocks tend to have a LOP about 1/2" longer than the same stock on an AR15 due to the longer receiver, so choose accordingly. The Magpul PRS gen 3 that you see so often on the M5 has a minimum 14.8" LOP on the M5, too long for me, the older PRS2 was a little shorter, but they made 2 versions, the AR10 version had a short uncomfortable cheekpeice. The reason for this, and to avoid stocks with raised cheekpeices in general is the long handle travel, and that it often will hit. I LOVE the Magpul UBR2 stock with this rifle, has the correct A5 length to use a standard H3 buffer, it's solid and balances well without being overweight, it's comfortable, everything clears and works, and LOP is adjustable between 12.25" and 15.75".

Most AR15 triggers fit, but surplus ammo has hard primers, steel cased/berdan primed have REALLY hard primers. If a trigger has lighter springs and/or a light hammer it might have light strikes and misfires. This happened quite a bit of the time with Wolf ammo, my M5 and about 4 different Timney triggers, an ALG gold and JP. a Geissele had 1 or 2 out of 100, but my Hiperfire X2S is 100% reliable, although the toggle bar/springs are complex. The only issue there is some ambi-safeties don't work with Hiperfire, primarily my go-to Radian Talon, but the new BAD ass -pro does work with Hiperfire, and the long levers and 60 degree throw fit the M5 well. All of the Radian Raptor 308 charging handles work with the M5. Muzzle devices are personal prefference, I use Griffin devices to work with my suppressors. 308 has a lot of gas volume, brakes work, but there can be a lot of side blast, although it's not as sharp as 5.56 more of a boom. It does suppress really well, for whatever reason there isn't all that much gas in the receiver or to the face compared to a 5.56 AR.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've built up Aero M5s, have had good luck with BA and Faxon barrels, my BA 18" fluted is a tackdriver(1MOA or less with match 2MOA with cheap FMJ), and Faxon makes some of the better lightweight barrels, which can be really nice as these rifles get really heave really quick. They also have standard port locations and use standard gas tubes unlike some AR10s. I do love the ATLAS handguards, but keep in mind, if you use the QD sling pockets in it, there isn't enough clearance with heavy barrels, so if using one use a gen2 unless you want to add a QD adapter to the rail, or don't care about QD slings. 308 gas port pressure varies quite a bit, so an adjustable gas block is really nice to have, cheap wolf 7.62 need to be nearly wide open, but some match or commercial 308 needs to be choked off to tame recoil and function well especially if suppressing.

I've used nitrided Aero and Faxon bolts in M5s and a lot of AR15s, never a problem. buffers and tubes can be confusing as the bolt travels about 3/4" longer than an AR15. The only compatible sets are 10/15 rifle tubes with shorter AR10 rifle buffers, AR15 carbine tubes(6 position) with short 2.5" AR10 buffers or A5/SOME AR10 longer carbine tubes(usually 7 position) can use a standard AR15 3.25" buffer. I like H3 or rifle buffers, the 5oz+ weight makes them reliable with a wider range of ammo, less sensitive to gas settings, and generally lighter recoil.

The bolt catch area is thicker than many other AR10s, so you can use Aeros long crappy button and a standard catch, or this KAK extended catch with any AR15 mag release button. The bolt catch and takedown/pivot pins are the only other non "AR15" spec parts if you want to put togethr your own LPK, CMMG catch and pins fit the M5. Tubb or most DPMS pattern 308 buffer springs work fine. Stocks tend to have a LOP about 1/2" longer than the same stock on an AR15 due to the longer receiver, so choose accordingly. The Magpul PRS gen 3 that you see so often on the M5 has a minimum 14.8" LOP on the M5, too long for me, the older PRS2 was a little shorter, but they made 2 versions, the AR10 version had a short uncomfortable cheekpeice. The reason for this, and to avoid stocks with raised cheekpeices in general is the long handle travel, and that it often will hit. I LOVE the Magpul UBR2 stock with this rifle, has the correct A5 length to use a standard H3 buffer, it's solid and balances well without being overweight, it's comfortable, everything clears and works, and LOP is adjustable between 12.25" and 15.75".

Most AR15 triggers fit, but surplus ammo has hard primers, steel cased/berdan primed have REALLY hard primers. If a trigger has lighter springs and/or a light hammer it might have light strikes and misfires. This happened quite a bit of the time with Wolf ammo, my M5 and about 4 different Timney triggers, an ALG gold and JP. a Geissele had 1 or 2 out of 100, but my Hiperfire X2S is 100% reliable, although the toggle bar/springs are complex. The only issue there is some ambi-safeties don't work with Hiperfire, primarily my go-to Radian Talon, but the new BAD ass -pro does work with Hiperfire, and the long levers and 60 degree throw fit the M5 well. All of the Radian Raptor 308 charging handles work with the M5. Muzzle devices are personal prefference, I use Griffin devices to work with my suppressors. 308 has a lot of gas volume, brakes work, but there can be a lot of side blast, although it's not as sharp as 5.56 more of a boom. It does suppress really well, for whatever reason there isn't all that much gas in the receiver or to the face compared to a 5.56 AR.

Interesting. My LaRue MBT with the lighter spring has had no issue setting off M80 and wolf. Haven’t used any honest to goodness surplus yet.

Adjustable gas block. Just do it.

I had luck with a Classic Firearms 18 fluted heavy barrel. But I wouldn’t rely on that. My Classic and Bear Creek Arms (BCA makes CF’s barrels) .308 and both 6.5 Grendel barrels are very accurate (sub MOA), but I’ve had terrible luck with their .223 wylde barrels. That isn’t a recommendation on getting one from them. If you do cheap out, get the barrel last, build and test quickly. They don’t warranty against issues for long...

I went with a Black River Tactical linear comp/flash suppressor on mine. I’ve been impressed with the 5.56 one I have. Works great on my AR-10. It does NOT reduce recoil. Just note that. It does reduce the flash signature a lot and noticeably reduces blast and noise at the shooters ear and the guys next to you. NOT hearing safe. But a lot more pleasant. Mine weighs 9lbs with scope and mag. I wouldn’t want to shoot more than about 50-60 full power rounds in a session with it. A brake would probably make it an all day gun, but I built mine for hunting.

Plenty enjoyable shooting it at the bench. But just a note, it is a full power rifle.

Fall/winter clothing and a bipod would probably also make it plenty comfortable to shoot a couple of hundred rounds at the bench with it. Or off hand shooting most of it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Just Bought a Lower for an AR-10 .308...

Any recommendations for Barrels, Bolts, and triggers?
    Buffers

I'm going Aero Precision for the lower, upper, and handguard to prevent any fitment issues.

Aero LPK no FCG or grip
    Rifle buffer tube without A2 spacer
    Tubbs flatwire spring
    308 rifle buffer
    SSA-E trigger
    Aero 308 BCG
    Radian Raptor charging handle
    Faxon Match 308 barrel 18"
    Rifle length gas tube
    SLR Adgustable Gas Block .750 (Sentry 7 Series)
    Aero Atlas R-One handguard 15"
    YHM muzzle break with QD for a suppressor
    Vortex 2" offset cantilever mount
    Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2C MOA

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    Aero LPK no FCG or grip
    Rifle buffer tube without A2 spacer .....with A2 spacer
    Tubbs flatwire spring
    308 rifle buffer.....KAK 9.3oz
    SSA-E trigger
    Aero 308 BCG
    Radian Raptor charging handle
    Faxon Match 308 barrel 18".... Criterion
    Rifle length gas tube
    SLR Adgustable Gas Block .750 (Sentry 7 Series)
    Aero Atlas R-One handguard 15"
    YHM muzzle break with QD for a suppressor..... Lantac or Surefire Warcomp
    Vortex 2" offset cantilever mount .....Extended rail over handguard
    Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2C MOA

Dang you had me thinking I had already posted ?!!

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    Beyond that, what are you babbling about in the red? I posted my parts list, nobody else's parts list.

The slight differences between your and my parts list. My different choices are the red part.

Otherwise the rest is the same.

I was just surprised by the similar choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom