• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm several years out of the AR game, and completely new to AR pistols. Am I correct in understanding that a pistol in the ATF/MD sense can essentially be an AR (HBAR not needed, right?) that doesn't have a "stock" but either an enclosed buffer tube or a fancy brace of some sort? Essentially, I could put a 11.5" pinned/welded upper on a lower that was never a rifle, slap the right tube/brace on its backside and be off to the awkward "pistol" races?

I know a MD legal AR has to comply with the 29" OAL, but a pistol has a separate minimum? This shit is wildly confusing, and I was once fairly well versed in it.
    1) Pistol lower has to start out as a pistol(you can not convert an AR rifle into a pistol).
    2) You can put any length and profile barrel you want on it. No need for pin and welding.
    3) You can use any type of buffer tube you want. It can be a plain pistol buffer tube or it can be an adjustable carbine type buffer tube.
    4) There are no minimum length requirements on AR pistols(they are not SBRs), they can be as short as you want.

csxt602

Oct 29, 2020
    Essex, MD
    I'm several years out of the AR game, and completely new to AR pistols. Am I correct in understanding that a pistol in the ATF/MD sense can essentially be an AR (HBAR not needed, right?) that doesn't have a "stock" but either an enclosed buffer tube or a fancy brace of some sort? Essentially, I could put a 11.5" pinned/welded upper on a lower that was never a rifle, slap the right tube/brace on its backside and be off to the awkward "pistol" races?

I know a MD legal AR has to comply with the 29" OAL, but a pistol has a separate minimum? This shit is wildly confusing, and I was once fairly well versed in it.

No minimum length or HBAR needed for an AR pistol. As long as it doesn't have a stock or vertical foregrip, and the LOP is 13.5" or less, it's good.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Lower must have never been configured as a rifle .

Buffer assy must be non Buttstock . The non- controversial answer is to utilize a " Pistol " buffer tube . Plain buffer tube is unquestionably legal . The various * arm braces * are currently kosher , but ATF interpretations have flip flopped in the details , and ATF could issue a new & improved Advisory Letter whenever the mood hits them .
    Some corrections:
    Lower can not start out as a rifle. You cannot convert a rifle into a pistol. That would make it an SBR and would require a $200 tax stamp. Any lower that started out as a pistol can be converted into a rifle, and later can be converted back to pistol form as many times as wished.

Adjustable carbine type buffer tubes are absolutely good to go on an AR pistol. Most pistol braces are made for carbine buffer tubes. :thumbsup:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Lower must have never been configured as a rifle .

Buffer assy must be non Buttstock . The non- controversial answer is to utilize a " Pistol " buffer tube . Plain buffer tube is unquestionably legal . The various * arm braces * are currently kosher , but ATF interpretations have flip flopped in the details , and ATF could issue a new & improved Advisory Letter whenever the mood hits them .

No Length requirements from Federal or Maryland .

No reason you couldn't Pin & Weld if you wanted to on purpose , but it isn't a legal issue .

Excellent! Thanks.

1) Pistol lower has to start out as a pistol(you can not convert an AR rifle into a pistol).
    2) You can put any length and profile barrel you want on it. No need for pin and welding.
    3) You can use any type of buffer tube you want. It can be a plain pistol buffer tube or it can be an adjustable carbine type buffer tube.
    4) There are no minimum length requirements on AR pistols(they are not SBRs), they can be as short as you want.

Perfect. Thanks!

No minimum length or HBAR needed for an AR pistol. As long as it doesn't have a stock or vertical foregrip, and the LOP is 13.5" or less, it's good.

LOP is measured from the rear of the tube/brace to the front of the trigger, as I recall. Perhaps to the front of the grip?

It's been too long, dammit.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But Boondock was specifically asking about building a pistol from scratch without already having one , so I simplified the Pistol> Rifle> Pistol thing .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    But Boondock was specifically asking about building a pistol from scratch without already having one , so I simplified the Pistol> Rifle> Pistol thing .
    But he wasn't being specific in his wording.

I always try to very specific when answering these types of questions for the sake of others who will follow along.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    But he wasn't being specific in his wording.

I always try to very specific when answering these types of questions for the sake of others who will follow along.

Much appreciated. I actually did know that, but others reading along at some point might not know that. This is why this place isn't but so bad. :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Embarrassingly, this topic always leaves me perplexed. I never got into the whole hql thing as it more pissed me off than anything. Bought some nice shotguns since but nothing has really ever tempted me enough to bow down and get the darn thing but these AR pistols are really nice. If there’s a legal way (obviously) to do one sans the stupid license I will, if not I guess I’ll have to get the damn thing and start buying.

Subscribing to this thread very informative thanks all.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Embarrassingly, this topic always leaves me perplexed. I never got into the whole hql thing as it more pissed me off than anything. Bought some nice shotguns since but nothing has really ever tempted me enough to bow down and get the darn thing but these AR pistols are really nice. If there’s a legal way (obviously) to do one sans the stupid license I will, if not I guess I’ll have to get the damn thing and start buying.

Nice to know I'm not alone in my abstinence form the HQL.

An AR pistol is as easy as buying an AR lower, then buy a pistol upper separately. Perfectly legal.

Now me, I'd rather build mine from the ground up, but I have the tools and the know how.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Ryan, PM if you are interested in 80% 1911/2011 builds, Sig 226/229, Sig P320 or any AR builds. I’m close and a
    Have all the jigs you could want.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Outrider said .

The usual Maryland method is purchase AR lower ( 77R , no HQL ) , then assemble in pistol or related format .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom