• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    There are some 6601s also listed on gunbroker in the $2200 range, and they will sell for that. People right now dont care about the markings, the (lack of) bayonet lug, etc. The "details" are mostly irrelevant as the details that matter are semi-auto and 223/556 (and legal). Collectors are not paying these prices since they are not stupid. The people who are buying are desperate or counting on a Biden win (they might not be wrong at this point). If Biden wins all bets are off the table, these prices may look cheap.

lololololololololol.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    A fair price A2 is $920 to $960....as that's probably what he paid. These 1/7 HB Colts are really tack drivers......superbly accurate.

*****Yea...about that. Supply and demand generally makes the cost of an item contingent on what the market will bear. Someone yesterday mentioned in another thread that a starting point for negotiations on a "used" firearm should be about 1/3 of its cost new.... :lol2:

So... if ya paid $960 ish you should only expect to get $316 or so for it.... Good luck getting the owner of a Colt A2 in good shape to sell it for that.... I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, but expecting to pay $1000-$1200 in todays environment for a nice HB Colt is probably unrealistic.

Admittedly, they are tack drivers.

A fair price is what someone will pay for it. If they really need it, they will be willing to pay a premium for the product or do without. Nobody is forcing sellers to get rid of their products at less than what they can get on the open market just yet. THAT may change in the future so the price goes up to reflect the possibility that once sold, the seller may not be able to replace the item at anywhere near what they sold for. It's the nature of business.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The #1 rule about gun values , is that there are no rules .

The oversimplified rule of thumb is that a reasonably honest LGS will purchase used firearm at about 2/3 of what they will offer it for sale as a used firearm . Alternative factors are their wholesale prices for the same model new, and how many of the same or substantially similar guns they have in inventory .

The " 1/3 stories " are generally something along the lines of Joe Shooter purchases something like a value line pistol , then 6 months or year later decides to sell . To use an example from the S&W world , a SD9VE . Joe purchased for say $399 . Year later , is shocked to be offered $150-ish by same dealer .

Meanwhile , distributors have been offering very aggressive wholesale prices , and the guns were very popular for a while , and hence a buncha them on the used market . Kind of perfect storm for selling to a dealer . Joe could do better selling to private buyer directly ( following the proper protocols to be legal of course ) , where depending upon what accessories Joe includes , @ $275-300 both parties would be reasonably happy .

Other firearms may have initially had modest market appeal , but later have increased demand from shooters and/ or collectors .

Of course right now is an example of a mid level panic , and everything that goes bang is volitle , and huge demand for anything EBR-ish from people who don't have one, but think they ought to .

The Named " Large Pin " rifles were thoroughly hated upon back in the day . Primarily over Colt's policies of the day of not selling " normal " AR to public , and instead offeing a different line of rifes with non- standard parts dimensions .

However , judged on their own merits , the Sporter family were excellent , well made , very accurate rifles . as example above , my Sportster ( non- Heavy) capable of sub 1.0in @ 100yd bone stock , and another transitional Sportster bought by the late #1 Shooting and Handloading partner's brother new , and then later by him .

Unmolested Sportsters Do have collector interest in " normal times " . But I suspect those $2K plus sales are panic driven .

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    About a year ago I bought a match and a competition HBAR in A2, both were around $1,000 plus or minus $100. Probably a hair over market but they were infront of me and nice with relatively low serial numbers. Similar to what is described no bayo lug.

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    Colt Sporter Match HBAR, Serial number Prefix MH, purchased new in 1991. Rifle has flash hider and no bayonet lug. Chrome lined barrel with less than 100 rds fired.

My brother that lives in PA wants to sell this rifle and asked me what it was worth. I've never been a big AR 15 fan although I have several and couldn't tell him. I know by the serial number and when it was purchased it is definitely a pre-ban. The whole Colt value thing (pre-ban vs. post-ban) seems confusing. I don't want him to get ripped off so I ask here at the MDS well of knowledge what is a fair price for this piece?

I was at an auction this past weekend in DE and that exact rifle you describe went for $1150 plus the 10% buyers premium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom