• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Why do some folks confuse a government profile barrel with a heavy barrel?

I’d bet msp would get quite cranky about someone preaching that a government profile barrel is indeed a heavy barrel.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Remember that a advisory carries zero force of law.

Quite true in relation to an AR being "legal" or "illegal" for a person. And members here are going to argue this point for eternity.

The true point is how many dealers are going to risk their "Regulated Firearms License" by poking the MDSP and go against an advisory?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back when the A2 was a new thing , it was commonly described as being "heavier " than the. A1 .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hmmnnnn, I wonder if a geissele or bcm government profile barrel is ok for us to buy in this state then for a post 13 lower?
    BCM makes virtually the same barrel. The only catch, you have to have a muzzle device pinned and welded BC the barrels are 14.5".
    There are other companies selling these barrels that will affix a muzzle device for a minimal fee, but you have to do a little searching around...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Here we are in a thread discussion what does/does not constitute an HBAR - is it stamped, not stamped, this profile, that profile, the manufacturer, blah blah blah....

This inspires me to ask a few questions:

1.) Is there an actual spec that needs to be followed - a certain diameter it has to be bigger than, etc?
    2.) Has anyone in their trips to the range been harassed by LEOs to show proof that their AR is actually an HBRAR AR?
    3.) If the answer to #2 is "yes," did the LEO look for a stamping, whip out a set of calipers to check, or did they just take your word for it?

Just curious. Is this the proverbial tempest in a teacup? Mountain from a molehill? How much does it actually matter?

I understand that there are laws that we all in good faith are trying to be compliant towards, but just how far do we need to go in order to fulfill that compliance in good faith, particularly if it isn't being examined with any regularity in an official capacity?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Here we are in a thread discussion what does/does not constitute an HBAR - is it stamped, not stamped, this profile, that profile, the manufacturer, blah blah blah....

1.) Is there an actual spec that needs to be followed - a certain diameter it has to be bigger than, etc?
    2.) Has anyone in their trips to the range been harassed by LEOs to show proof that their AR is actually an HBRAR AR?
    3.) If the answer to #2 is "yes," did the LEO look for a stamping, whip out a set of calipers to check, or did they just take your word for it?

Just curious. Is this the proverbial tempest in a teacup? Mountain from a molehill? How much does it actually matter?

I understand that there are laws that we all in good faith are trying to be compliant towards, but just how far do we need to go in order to fulfill that compliance in good faith, particularly if it isn't being examined with any regularity in an official capacity?

1) No
    2) No
    3) N/A

However, do you want to be the first? And end up in court over it? And pay a lawyer?

MSP states Stamped or Advertised. Anything else, you could be the test case.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

No, no and no.

I've never even been asked to show my tax stamp for my SBR or suppressor.

Many people have chosen to follow the MSP "Advisory" which states that for a barrel to be MD compliant, it only must be advertised OR stamped HBAR or Heavy. The two key words are either HBAR or Heavy, it can be either, according to the advisory.

The Colt Socom barrel is described by Colt as their "heavy" barrel, and thus is MD compliant per the advisory.

It's important to note, though, that advisories carry no force of law, and therefore you must take it for what it is.

The original intent of the law was to allow for "sporter" style AR15's to remain legal, although the term Sporter is also a Colt specific term, just like HBAR is.

One could argue that anything heavier than a M4 profile is considered heavy. Many people also follow an interpretation that anything that is .750 or larger from the chamber to the muzzle is also considered heavy (cc: Ballistic Advantage Hanson Profile).

The reason this keeps being brought up and will continue to be brought up is because there is no concrete answer. If you want to take the "no questions asked, good to go route", most would follow the advisory of making sure its advertised or marked as heavy or hbar.

And now I will patiently wait for DeamonAssasin to tell me i'm full of sh*t lol.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    No, no and no.

I've never even been asked to show my tax stamp for my SBR or suppressor.

Many people have chosen to follow the MSP "Advisory" which states that for a barrel to be MD compliant, it only must be advertised OR stamped HBAR or Heavy. The two key words are either HBAR or Heavy, it can be either, according to the advisory.

The Colt Socom barrel is described by Colt as their "heavy" barrel, and thus is MD compliant per the advisory.

It's important to note, though, that advisories carry no force of law, and therefore you must take it for what it is.

The original intent of the law was to allow for "sporter" style AR15's to remain legal, although the term Sporter is also a Colt specific term, just like HBAR is.

One could argue that anything heavier than a M4 profile is considered heavy. Many people also follow an interpretation that anything that is .750 or larger from the chamber to the muzzle is also considered heavy (cc: Ballistic Advantage Hanson Profile).

The reason this keeps being brought up and will continue to be brought up is because there is no concrete answer. If you want to take the "no questions asked, good to go route", most would follow the advisory of making sure its advertised or marked as heavy or hbar.

And now I will patiently wait for DeamonAssasin to tell me i'm full of sh*t lol.

Historically speaking in MD, anything that tapers under the handguards to a pencil profile, was a regulated firearm in MD. As such, if there is no taper, then it is HBAR, according to how MD laws were historically.

The problem with the HBAR exemption in MD is that it specifically by name exempts the Colt Sporter HBAR, which hasn't been made in how many years? MSP has no idea what HBAR is, nor would they have any clue as to how to figure it out. But to put it simply, by allowing the Colt Sporter HBAR to be exempt from the ban, it also allows MSP and the MGA to ban anything that is not a Colt Sporter HBAR in MD, no matter how MSP LD see that copies are legal.

Do with this info as you see fit. But you are still full of it... ;)

Feb 28, 2013

Far as Im concerned, if its the same measurement from the barrel nut out to the gas block, its good

"But Karl... msp advisory"

Advisory dont mean shit. Staties done said it theyselves. Even the "banned" list dont have force of law. Even Duffys rightly ignored that when they was still sellin C308s after they landed on the list. Vince told me himself he tried to ram a HK bolt up in the one he sold me and wouldnt fit

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom