• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ehall

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2020
    Everything I read says .357 magnum is more powerful than .45 ACP, on a shot-for-shot basis. If you are limited to 2-3 bullets then having more power in each of them is going to be more important than the maximum potential damage from a full magazine. Also more flexible: almost any revolver that can chamber .357 magnum is also going to be able to fire .38 special, and you can get snake shot for 357 magnum.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I have hunted in PA and open carry a .357 Tarus Revolver. Its a 7 shot revolver and I am comfortable shooting it. Of course if I am up there for firearm season, I already have a rifle so no need to carry extra weapon for a bear.

Except for those times when you are field dressing a deer and one sneaks up behind you and your rifle is out of reach. :-)

A buddy in Westernport was butchering a deer off his front porch and 2 sows and cubs were watching him from 60 yards away and he did not even know they were there. His rifle was inside the house, but his 357 Tarus was on his hip. He told them they could have the guts once he was done and they left.

I switched from 357 to 45LC using hard cast Buffalo Bore ammo in both after doing some more research. The short barrel 357 should do the trick for black bears, but the 45 Redhawk will absolutely do it. YMMV

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    You don't want JHPs.

^^This^^ Unless you just want to piss if off. Heavy hard cast +p or +p+
    in 357 mag, 44 mag 45lc+p or larger. 45ACP and 9mm just doesn't have enough ass IMHO.

Once upon a time, I found a 180 grain Horandy 300 winmag against the leeward clavicle of a 500lb Black bear from a perfect 46 yard broadside aft of the shoulder boiler room shot. The clavicle was not damaged at all. On a deer, the leeward shoulder would have been destroyed as the round exited.

The hide on bears is very thick compared to a deer and will dull knifes very quickly including the new scalpel types with the replaceable blades. I don't think a 45ACP HP would penetrate more than a few inches and annoy the hell out of the bear. I upgraded to the Redhawk 45LC/ACP after this hunting/butchering experience.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you want to carry .45 Colt but want more power get a .454 Casull it is the Magnum version same case dimensions but .100" longer and thicker brass. You can shoot .45 Colt in a .454 Casull similar to .38 Special in a .357 Mag or .44 Special in a .44Mag.

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    search

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis