• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Any idea why this is... I have always read that the VZ58 is superior to the 2008, but always assumed it was just the way it was put together... I thought the functioning was the same.

I'm betting its the gas port hole size in the barrel. Its one of the only things it can be as the bolt and springs are surplus/same.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I put one of these AR-15 recoil pads on my folding stock VZ 2008, it makes the gun a lot easier to shoot well.
    77667.jpg

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Also a few years ago i was going to get one from Hogsniper when a lot cheaper and had the accessories. Heard alot of canted front sights.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Thanks. One on order. Will give it a go. Move front sight right to move point of impact left?

Correct. :thumbsup:

Here's an easy rule to remember when adjusting windage on rifle sights: "FORS"... That means "Front Opposite - Rear Same".

I owe learning that piece of wisdom to 4570inMD. :bowdown:

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Also a few years ago i was going to get one from Hogsniper when a lot cheaper and had the accessories. Heard alot of canted front sights.

I got one from Hogsniper back a while ago. It had a bum trigger catch or something where it would only fire if the trigger was pressed from the right side. Otherwise it would shoot 2 or 3 then fail to catch and fire. He offered to help, but I just emailed Century to see what they would do first. They asked for it back. They fixed the issue, polished the bolt, carrier and feed ramp (or something to that effect, it was a while ago), they also aligned the front sight and sent it back 100% good to go. Gun fires very well , its accurate and not an issue since. Other than you need to be scharzenegger to push that stock button to depress it, I really like it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Shot mine today at a Grandfather/Son/Grandson Get together.

By the time we hit 60 rounds (loaded 20 per mag) man, the barrel was pretty hot.
    a867e55b0fe52b0ec1a74e9faddf6e5c.jpg

57a1ed064a298f338632a6cb1ad8f3b9.jpg

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Damn these Century built VZ's have gotten expensive.

That is the truth. I paid 399$ for mine in 2013.

They are good guns, mine cycles funny, but I haven't put a lot of rounds through it, so I think that might be the issue. The VZ platform is hard to make fail or do wrong.

I hung some polymer bits on mine

FYI the factory pistol grip that came on the gun in 2013 was made for a toddler hand. My normalish hands (I wear large sized rubber gloves) were far too big for the grip, but I put a Fab defense grip on mine and its a sweetheart of a riffle now (for me)

I think it is still worth it at 800$, but I would cross shop a mini30 against it. I like those better, but they are harder to maintain / field strip then the VZ.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Shot mine today at a Grandfather/Son/Grandson Get together.

By the time we hit 60 rounds (loaded 20 per mag) man, the barrel was pretty hot.
    a867e55b0fe52b0ec1a74e9faddf6e5c.jpg

57a1ed064a298f338632a6cb1ad8f3b9.jpg

I wonder why they get so hot? It cannot be good for the barrel. My guess is that over time it would change the metallurgy significantly.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I wonder why they get so hot? It cannot be good for the barrel. My guess is that over time it would change the metallurgy significantly.

Inside if the barrel gets that hot in parts in a single shot (tempting temperatures). Whole barrel shouldn’t remotely.

You are talking 255F+. I’d imagine it’s pretty hot, but 255 is really, really hot (burns in like 1 second if you touch it).

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Inside if the barrel gets that hot in parts in a single shot (tempting temperatures). Whole barrel shouldn’t remotely.

You are talking 255F+. I’d imagine it’s pretty hot, but 255 is really, really hot (burns in like 1 second if you touch it).

next time I shoot it I will bring my laser temperature gun and let you know how hot it gets. I know it is hot to the touch, but I don't think it is burn in less then a second hot. I could be wrong.

Unless someone wants to borrow my Temp gun and temp their VZ?

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    These are great guns, and I am surprised they are not more popular in MD, since they are evidently not regulated in the state.
    My friend has a VZ2008, and I have witnessed him make a +600m shot from a bipod and with a 4x fixed scope. With the right brake on it, it isn't too bad. Wrap the sidefolder with paracord and it takes the jawslap out of the gun.
    Mounting an optic on a siderail can be a bit of a cost, since they don't all come with a siderail.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    These are great guns, and I am surprised they are not more popular in MD, since they are evidently not regulated in the state.
    My friend has a VZ2008, and I have witnessed him make a +600m shot from a bipod and with a 4x fixed scope. With the right brake on it, it isn't too bad. Wrap the sidefolder with paracord and it takes the jawslap out of the gun.
    Mounting an optic on a siderail can be a bit of a cost, since they don't all come with a siderail.

I'd go with the mount that replaces the rear sight with either a red dot or put a small scout scope on it.

Separately on temperature, having just run my AR-10 for the first time at the range, man that's some heat! My Sako in .308 I am not used to nearly as much heat. then again, I might shoot 30 rounds through my Sako in 20 minutes. 30 rounds in my AR-10 is like, well that's 2 minutes. The fluted heavy barrel cools down fairly quick, but after I had 30 rounds down the barrel there was some very significant mirage in the scope from the heat coming off. That's the same kind of heat I'd see if I put more like 60+ rounds rapid through my AR-15 (which makes some sense, its like 1.8x the powder being burned in a .308 round).

My SKS gets fairly hot too if I shoot rapid. Seems like quite a bit faster than my AR-15s do.

I wonder if its a combo of more powder than a .223, but also a lot more surface area inside of the barrel/throat/chamber to be exposed to the burning powder, so it doesn't just have more being burned in it, its more efficient at soaking up the heat it is exposed to.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I'd go with the mount that replaces the rear sight with either a red dot or put a small scout scope on it.

Separately on temperature, having just run my AR-10 for the first time at the range, man that's some heat! My Sako in .308 I am not used to nearly as much heat. then again, I might shoot 30 rounds through my Sako in 20 minutes. 30 rounds in my AR-10 is like, well that's 2 minutes. The fluted heavy barrel cools down fairly quick, but after I had 30 rounds down the barrel there was some very significant mirage in the scope from the heat coming off. That's the same kind of heat I'd see if I put more like 60+ rounds rapid through my AR-15 (which makes some sense, its like 1.8x the powder being burned in a .308 round).

My SKS gets fairly hot too if I shoot rapid. Seems like quite a bit faster than my AR-15s do.

I wonder if its a combo of more powder than a .223, but also a lot more surface area inside of the barrel/throat/chamber to be exposed to the burning powder, so it doesn't just have more being burned in it, its more efficient at soaking up the heat it is exposed to.

the side rail mounts seem to be the way to go for an optic on this platform. IMHO the rear cover rails have the chance to get out of whack, and the putting an optic on the front rail limits your optic choices.

It could be the 7.62mm round just making the barrel hot, maybe that is how all 30 cal riffle rounds run?

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    the side rail mounts seem to be the way to go for an optic on this platform. IMHO the rear cover rails have the chance to get out of whack, and the putting an optic on the front rail limits your optic choices.

It could be the 7.62mm round just making the barrel hot, maybe that is how all 30 cal riffle rounds run?

I use a Bonesteel Arms upper handguard on mine, with a Sig Romeo5, and a Fab Defense lower handguard with with a Magpul AFG. I've noticed she does get pretty hot, but the beaverbarf furniture seems to transmit the heat to your hand a lot faster, too. Maybe try a polymer handguard or hardwood set, and just set the original aside?

The trouble with the 2008 is that it doesn't come drilled and tapped for the side rail, and the receiver's milled inward on that side. You can still do it, but you'll have to add a steel shim so the mount sits properly. The guys at 2AGunsAndGear do a good job of showing how it can be done, if you're willing to try it yourself.

Last edited:

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I use a Bonesteel Arms upper handguard on mine, with a Sig Romeo5, and a Fab Defense lower handguard with with a Magpul AFG. I've noticed she does get pretty hot, but the beaverbarf furniture seems to transmit the heat to your hand a lot faster, too. Maybe try a polymer handguard or hardwood set, and just set the original aside?

The trouble with the 2008 is that it doesn't come drilled and tapped for the side rail, and the receiver's milled inward on that side. You can still do it, but you'll have to add a steel shim so the mount sits properly. The guys at 2AGunsAndGear do a good job of showing how it can be done, if you're willing to try it yourself.

I already have all my beaver furniture off. I would say the second year I owned that thing I hung all the fab stuff on it.

I have a fab pistol grip, because the OEM grip is made for toddlers
    Fab polymer rail front covers
    And the Fab polymer recoil reducing stock

All black, it looks good. I need to shoot it more.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    I already have all my beaver furniture off. I would say the second year I owned that thing I hung all the fab stuff on it.

I have a fab pistol grip, because the OEM grip is made for toddlers
    Fab polymer rail front covers
    And the Fab polymer recoil reducing stock

All black, it looks good. I need to shoot it more.

If it came with the wood furniture I've seen online, I probably would have just kept that, but the Beaver stuff is just... Yeah, not a fan. It looks cool, but there are so many better options.

Right? I went with the OD Fab grip, myself. I was really surprised by the factory grip; the couple of Czech guys I know aren't small dudes, and even in my ex's hand, it looked like a toy. I misspoke earlier; I forgot I swapped the AFG for a Stark Express Grip--that little bit of extra storage is perfect for optic batteries. :D

All in all, they're just such great little rifles; I'd probably still go for an AK for part/magazine compatibility if we didn't live in the DPRMD, but I've got no complaints about my 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom