• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Hey Folks,

Just a little PSA: Classic Firearms just got in a new shipment of VZ-2008s, priced at $779.99!

When I've spoken to folks there previously, I was told that any Firearm that they have at the warehouse in Monroe, they can ship without a magazine; just make sure you call them before placing your order! I don't know if there any many FFLs who'll just pin the mag for you if it comes in with standard-capacity mags, so calling them might be a potential workaround.

One downside to the VZ-2008, compared to the CzechPoint VZ-58: These are not tapped for optics mounts; Century milled the receiver inward a bit, so there's a dip where the taps for the rail mounts would go. Otherwise, they're great rifles, the surplus mags are comparable in price to PMAGs, and our "betters" in Annapolis doesn't consider it evil, so no 7-day wait! I definitely recommend you pick one up!

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That's pretty cool. I'm not in the market, but still pretty cool.

Feb 28, 2013
    They look good in wood :D

Attachments

• DA1CF60D-F985-49D8-B037-F2E7097B1E38.jpg
      DA1CF60D-F985-49D8-B037-F2E7097B1E38.jpg
      42.3 KB · Views: 1,602

jazz_guns

Apr 2, 2020
    Annapolis
    Hey Folks,

Just a little PSA: Classic Firearms just got in a new shipment of VZ-2008s, priced at $779.99!

When I've spoken to folks there previously, I was told that any Firearm that they have at the warehouse in Monroe, they can ship without a magazine; just make sure you call them before placing your order! I don't know if there any many FFLs who'll just pin the mag for you if it comes in with standard-capacity mags, so calling them might be a potential workaround.

One downside to the VZ-2008, compared to the CzechPoint VZ-58: These are not tapped for optics mounts; Century milled the receiver inward a bit, so there's a dip where the taps for the rail mounts would go. Otherwise, they're great rifles, the surplus mags are comparable in price to PMAGs, and our "betters" in Annapolis doesn't consider it evil, so no 7-day wait! I definitely recommend you pick one up!

You guys local?

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The older VZ2008s were one of Century's better built rifles. The receivers and barrels were outsourced, and Century assembled them using surplus parts kits. I can't justify the price, but SKS rifles, and other AKs have gone up too. IF I had the cash I would prefer a Czechpoint VZ58 rifle, but I wouldn't be upset with a VZ2008.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have an Century that came w/ the folding stock but put on a wood beaver barf stock. That is the plus about these, for those who want the beaver barf stock. I had to heat cycle the screw that held the folding stock on to remove it.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have an Century that came w/ the folding stock but put on a wood beaver barf stock. That is the plus about these, for those who want the beaver barf stock. I had to heat cycle the screw that held the folding stock on to remove it.

I changed out the folder on one of mine too. I have a drag link socket that fit perfect and it came off with an impact driver. It was on tight!

IMG_0295s.jpg

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The older VZ2008s were one of Century's better built rifles. The receivers and barrels were outsourced, and Century assembled them using surplus parts kits.
    The outsourced many of the trigger parts too. I still have a VZ2008, Czechpoint VZ58, and several demil VZ58 parts kits to compare.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I changed out the folder on one of mine too. I have a drag link socket that fit perfect and it came off with an impact driver. It was on tight!

View attachment 283439

Yea, I used one of those with a socket wrench and I was afraid to hold the receiver and crack it. I have a job to drill into stone coming up and an impact driver is on my short list. That would have come in handy then to speed things up. The heat cycling 3 times a day over 3 days was a trial in patience for sure.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The Century VZ-2008's are nice collection additions. I know for sure mine is. We Hooligans have had a lot of fun with it in the past five years. And they were a LOT less expensive then. :innocent0

I too replaced the the folding stock with a beaver barf fixed stock on mine. The stock and metal were ~ $35 + shipping on Flea-Bay back then.

Yes, removing the folding stock retaining screw is a bitch. I ended up visiting my local gunsmith for his help. As I recall he needed an impact wrench with the appropriate bit.

Hopefully our Hooligan range will reopen soon. When it does, we have a VZ-2008 ready to rock again.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC03636.jpg
      DSC03636.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 482
    • After Capture.jpg
      After Capture.jpg
      90.1 KB · Views: 449

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    They’re nice rifles. Have had mine for about 7 years, shoot it a bit (wonder whether these are new production or classic found a number of older rifles). Very handy with the folding stock, but sometimes hard to depress the latch that enables the skeleton folding stock to pivot out or against the rifle. 30 rd mags are easy to find at Pa gun shows, and not too costly. My front sight is askew and the gun shoots right. I finally ordered an AK sight tool and will try to adjust. There was a lot of online discussion about century and the “ gremlin” and tabbing. I don’t know if the gremlin was a slam fire issue or the striker not reaching the primer. I have experienced no problems but probably fired less than 400 rds. Its lighter than an aAK despite having a milled receiver. Some have said the quality of a CIA rifle is a crap shoot. Others have said CIAs warranty service not so good. Ditto classic ( i remember classic when all it sold was k98s and religion). Anyway, i really like shooting mine and will like it better if if i can move the front sight.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    They’re nice rifles. Have had mine for about 7 years, shoot it a bit (wonder whether these are new production or classic found a number of older rifles). Very handy with the folding stock, but sometimes hard to depress the latch that enables the skeleton folding stock to pivot out or against the rifle. 30 rd mags are easy to find at Pa gun shows, and not too costly. My front sight is askew and the gun shoots right. I finally ordered an AK sight tool and will try to adjust. There was a lot of online discussion about century and the “ gremlin” and tabbing. I don’t know if the gremlin was a slam fire issue or the striker not reaching the primer. I have experienced no problems but probably fired less than 400 rds. Its lighter than an aAK despite having a milled receiver. Some have said the quality of a CIA rifle is a crap shoot. Others have said CIAs warranty service not so good. Ditto classic ( i remember classic when all it sold was k98s and religion). Anyway, i really like shooting mine and will like it better if if i can move the front sight.

In many ways the vz58 is a superior design. Lighter, more durable, can be loaded from stripper clips via the top or by mag. I have Czechpoints in 5.56 and 7.62 (sadly havent gotten around to shooting the 5.56) and the VZ2008. Id buy another one in different times.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    FWIW, The VZ2008s are tougher to shoot w/ the folding stock because they have noticeably more recoil than a VZ58. The 2008 is indeed tough on your cheek w/ that metal bar. I suspect its why so many swapped to the fixed stock.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    FWIW, The VZ2008s are tougher to shoot w/ the folding stock because they have noticeably more recoil than a VZ58. The 2008 is indeed tough on your cheek w/ that metal bar. I suspect its why so many swapped to the fixed stock.

Any idea why this is... I have always read that the VZ58 is superior to the 2008, but always assumed it was just the way it was put together... I thought the functioning was the same.

Last edited:

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    So, am I the only one here who put a M4 buffer tube adapter on mine? Paired that with a SB Tactical folding adapter, and now I can fold on the left side, and have a comfortable stock. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom