• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Oh, that's pretty neat!

I wish it looked more like the chunky angular Ar180 we all love. I bought a Masterpiece 5.56 thinking it would look and feel like a AR180 thinking of ditching it and just putting the money towards the ever scarce Robinson Expedition Rifle (yes I know that's more like a Stoner 63). Think they are MD legal?

May have to watch and see what one of these feels like in person.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I wish it looked more like the chunky angular Ar180 we all love. I bought a Masterpiece 5.56 thinking it would look and feel like a AR180 thinking of ditching it and just putting the money towards the ever scarce Robinson Expedition Rifle (yes I know that's more like a Stoner 63). Think they are MD legal?
    Yes. Also, the MPA is based off the Leader Dyanmics T2 Mk5, which is a derivative of the AR-180.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Yes. Also, the MPA is based off the Leader Dyanmics T2 Mk5, which is a derivative of the AR-180.

Its a neat gun, the quality is just lackluster.

Oh why couldn't I have found a AR180B before the curtain fell!

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Looks awesome would love to see a 10.5” version and also curious how it supresses.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    It wont work w/ a M16 lower. Matt, I put info in our private email chat but figured should put there too.

The carrier can't extend far back enough to have a typical BCG sear trip. The CMMG 22 upper is very similar to the AR180 in that the recoil mechanism doesn't use the buffer tube. The CMMG solves the auto sear trip by using an add on stamping that free floats on the carrier. That allows it NOT to punch though the back wall (where the buffer tube would be) when the bolt goes rearward, yet will pull the trip when the bolt fully closes. Something similar could be done w/ the AR180 bolt but it will be custom.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Always wanted a 180. The poly receiver redux ones that came out a while back didn't sell for squat, but at least they looked like the originals.

This is nifty but it looks like any other AR, part of the appeal of the 180 has always been that retro look (though I understand the monolithic rail trend means we'll never see fixed sights again). Maybe it's why the 180Bs never sold well, but an $800 upper that looks like any other piston AR is perhaps looking for a market that doesn't exist?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I’m going to be broke for a long time this year. Lolo

Buy once cry once. The more I watch the vids the more I am intrigued though at the price point its hard to take a chance on something loaded with proprietary parts.

Considering, maybe, for the hell of it.

Last edited:

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I pre-ordered the BRN-180s. I understand the linage and Brownells has said that it would cost too much to make it from steel stampings. They should have just called it a new upper with AR-180ish internals.

If you look at it as a ar-15 short stroke piston driven upper, add a quick detach free float forend that doesn't require a buffer tube, folding stock compatible, you can see the genius of what they have accomplished.

Personally, I am really liking the Jack-in-the-box style charging handle.

Attachments

• BRN-180s.jpg
      BRN-180s.jpg
      37.3 KB · Views: 1,178
    • details-piston-180s.jpg
      details-piston-180s.jpg
      23.8 KB · Views: 1,215
    • detail-bcg-rails.jpg
      detail-bcg-rails.jpg
      23.8 KB · Views: 3,594
    • shot43.jpg
      shot43.jpg